• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boston Cream Pie

jeniac42

Does anyone have a good recipe for Boston cream pie?

I've never made one and figure it's just a yellow sponge cake with a custard filling and chocolate glaze. I've got a friend coming over tomorrow to bake and figured I'd just assemble the components based on recipes from the Cake Bible.

Any pitfalls I should know about?

Jennie

You've pretty much nailed it on the head... My suggestions will only be the most basic ones....

Boston Cream Pie is a cake.... filled with vanilla custard and covered with a chocolate glaze, though some old school New England cooks use a vanilla, fondant type icing. Everyone makes it slightly differently, so feel free to make it however you like.

My preferences.... I make a basic yellow cake in 2-9 inch layer pans. For each "pie"... I use just one split layer because I like a thinner cake.. Make sure the vanilla custard is thickened/set before you use it.... I prefer a rich chocolate ganache for an icing.... I think that's why I like a thinner cake, the richness of the ganache.... Just frost the top of the cake, not the sides...

Have fun with it! :smile:

You've pretty much nailed it on the head...  My suggestions will only be the most basic ones....

Boston Cream Pie is a cake....  filled with vanilla custard and covered with a chocolate glaze, though some old school New England cooks use a vanilla, fondant type icing.  Everyone makes it slightly differently, so feel free to make it however you like.

My preferences....  I make a basic yellow cake in 2-9 inch layer pans.  For each "pie"...  I use just one split layer because I like a thinner cake..  Make sure the vanilla custard is thickened/set before you use it....  I prefer a rich chocolate ganache for an icing....  I think that's why I like a thinner cake, the richness of the ganache....  Just frost the top of the cake, not the sides... 

Have fun with it! :smile:

EGullet Karma.

I made a BCP last week for the first time in many, many years. Wish Trish had been there.

It was good, but Too Much Cake.

And go with the plain ganache.

Men love BCP.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Men love BCP.

You know I hadn't thought about it, but you are right.... My son requests it every year for his birthday :cool:

Yes. Sons, lovers, fathers-in-law, husbands...never fails. Odd, but reassuring. The same thing our grandfathers wanted, our sons want.

Boston Cream Pie. A winner.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I love Boston Cream Pie. Why doesn't it appear on more menus? The only place I've seen it here in Austin is at Luby's Cafeteria, and their version is a chocolate cake with custard filling -- not the traditional yellow cake, custard filling and chocolate glaze.

Has anyone noticed it on a menu? Anywhere?

No Claire, I haven't. Not recently. But then, there is so much pastry creativity now that I suppose old favourites get jettisoned.

Another thread, maybe. Classic cakes that need resurrecting. Spice Cake. Anyone remember Spice Cake?

Hmmm...chocolate layers. Could be good, but it's not really BCP, is it? Perhaps ACP?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

No Claire, I haven't.  Not recently.  But then, there is so much pastry creativity now that I suppose old favourites get jettisoned.

Another thread, maybe.  Classic cakes that  need resurrecting.  Spice Cake.  Anyone remember Spice Cake?

Hmmm...chocolate layers.  Could be good, but it's not really BCP, is it?  Perhaps ACP?

I did a Google search on Boston Cream Pie and found quite a few variations. There was an all chocolate version on the Hershey's website (imagine that) and on allrecipes.com so I guess Luby's can keep calling it BCP although Austin Cream Pie would be much more creative.

At any rate, I'm going to make one on Friday. I'll take a picture.

Classic Cakes That Need Resurrecting is a good idea for a thread. Then again, anything involving cake is a good idea for a thread if you ask me.

I think if I made a Boston Cream Pie again, I'd slice the cake into four, lighten the custard with an extra 1/3 sweetened whipped cream, and throw in a few fresh raspberries between the layers. And I might just sprinkle a bit of Kirsch or Eau de Vie Framboise on the cake to moisten. But then I wouldn't have a Boston Cream Pie would I? :wink:

Lesley,

I sometimes lighten the custard with whipped cream as well, tastes great that way....

Boston Cream Pie, Baked Alaska and Cherries Flambee' are 3 of my faves which I can only find if I hunt for them.... At the Parker House in Boston (they claim they invented it but heck....) they serve a lot of BCP :laugh:

Another thread, maybe.  Classic cakes that  need resurrecting.  Spice Cake.  Anyone remember Spice Cake?

Ooh, ooh, yes! How could I forget Spice Cake??!? It was the second thing I learned to make all those years ago, coming hard on the heels of coffee cake. Retro desserts should be hipper than they are, alas.

I made a Boston Cream Pie of a sorts 2 weeks ago for a co-worker's birthday. I started with the recipe from Cook's Illustrated. They do a sponge cake and then variations on a theme when it comes to the fillings. He wanted something with fruit and chocolate and pudding. So I used Seville oranges and made the cake with orange zest and some fiori di sicilia flavoring (orange/vanilla) and the filling was really just a very thick curd made with Seville orange juice and zest. Iced with a chocolate cream glaze. He liked it, I thought it was a waste of the last of the Sevilles.

regards,

trillium

Alas, my baking plans fell through because my friend's sisters were in town (she forgot) and she would've been cross with me had I made a BCP without her, so I have nothing to report.

I seem to remember seeing BCP on menus but now that I think about it, I couldn't tell you where, so it's maybe a figment of my imagination. They always sell them at the grocery store, though, and one year I had one as a birthday cake. I generally find them to be far too sweet and was hoping to remedy that in my own preparation.

Jennie

Here's the pie I just made. Not quite picture perfect, but it will do.

Next to the pie is the book where I found the recipe. Usually Southern Living recipes work, but I have reservations about this one. The recipe made too much filling. And based on the small spoonful of pastry cream I sampled, it seems a bit yolky. Maybe 4 egg yolks *is* a bit much :hmmm: .

I'll wait to try a piece before putting it in the archive.

bostoncreampie.jpg

Claire,

Your Boston Cream Pie looks yummy... I can offer one more suggestion... Bake the layers in a springform pan. When cool, split a layer, put it back in the pan, fill it, put next layer on, etc...then chill it in the pan. It will help keep the filling from seeping.

Well it's my son's birthday (number 18, heaven help me :wacko: )... so that means it's Boston Cream Pie time for me now.... His birthday coincides with a Drum Corps. competition that he's in tomorrow, so I will make several large cakes in 9 x 13 pans to serve our corps.

In addition, because the corps is family oriented and there a lot of real little ones who may prefer something else... I am also making...

E-Z Party Cupcakes:

1. Make a batch of chocolate cupcakes.

2. With a paring knife, cut a piece in the the center out, going about halfway down.

3. Fill the hole with cool whip (yes, cool whip).

4. Put the little cut out piece of cake back on top.

5. Drizzle warmed jarred hot fudge sauce (like Mrs. Richardson's) on top.

6. Top with a maraschino cherry.

Does anyone else make these??

Lesley,

You are right. That cake needed a lot more glaze. If I were planning on making that recipe again then I would double it, however, that recipe is a non-repeater. The cake was a bit dry and the filling tasted a little too "eggy" for me. We ate the cake and everyone said it was good, but I prefer my cakes to be STELLAR ;).

Trish,

I'm sure your BCP recipe is better than the one I used. If you have time, would you put your recipe in the archive or post it here? Maybe I will give it another try. Also, thanks for the tip on using a springform pan. Next time, I'll do that.

Those EZ cupcakes sound good -- very cute idea for a party.

Claire, I made the BCP from the Parker House, and it was eggy too.  Probably just the way it's supposed to be?  And waaaaay too much pastry creme too.

I googled up the Parker House Recipe and it appears to be even eggier than the Southern Living version! Still, I may try it because it's supposed to be the original Boston Cream Pie recipe.

And you are right about all that pastry cream. Sheesh! Could you actually fit it all into the cake?

At least the amount of chocolate glaze seems right.

One thing I forgot to mention about my Boston Cream Pie. As gangly as it appears in my picture, it was picture perfect when sliced. It's appearance and taste improved quite a bit after a day in the refrigerator.

Parker House Boston Cream Pie

For Sponge Cake:

7 eggs, separated

8 ounces sugar

1 cup flour

1 ounce melted butter

For Assembly:

4 ounces toasted almonds

For Sponge Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In two bowls, separate egg yolks, and whites. Add 1/2 of the sugar to each bowl. Beat both until peaked. When stiff, fold the whites into the yolk mixture. Gradually add flour, mixing with a wooden spatula. Mix in the butter. Pour this mixture into a 10 inch greased cake pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until spongy and golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool firmly.

To Finish: Level the sponge cake off at the top using a slicing knife. Cut the cake into 2 layers. Spread the pastry cream over 1 layer. Top with the second cake layer. Reserve a small amount of the pastry cream to spread on sides, to let the almond stick. Spread a thin layer of chocolate fondant icing on the top of the cake. Follow immediately with spiral lines starting from the center of the cake, using the white fondant in the pastry bag. Score the white lines with the point of a paring knife, starting at the center and pulling outward to the edge. Spread sides of the cake with a thin coating of the reserved pastry cream. Press on toasted almonds.

For Pastry Cream:

1 tablespoon butter

2 cups milk

2 cups light cream

1/2 cup sugar

3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

6 eggs

1 teaspoon dark rum

For Pastry Cream: In a saucepan bring the butter, milk, and light cream to a boil. While this mixture is cooking, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and eggs in a bowl and whip until ribbons form.

When the cream, milk, butter mixture reaches the boiling point, whisk in the egg mixture and cook to boiling. Boil for 1 minute. Pour into a bowl and cover the surface with plastic warp. Chill overnight if possible. When chilled, whisk to smooth out and flavor with 1 teaspoon dark rum.

For Chocolate Fondant Icing:

6 ounces fondant

3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted

For Chocolate Fondant Icing: Warm 6 ounces of fondant over boiling water to approximately 105 degrees. Add melted chocolate. Thin to spreading consistency with water.

For White Fondant Icing

5 ounces fondant

For White Fondant Icing: Warm 5 ounces of fondant over boiling water to approximately 105 degrees F. Thin with water if necessary. Place in a piping bag with a 1/8-inch tip.

Substitutions for Fondant Icing:

Chocolate Icing:

6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted

2 ounces warm water

White Icing:

1 cup confectioners' sugar

1 teaspoon corn syrup

1 tablespoon water

Chocolate Icing: Melt chocolate. Combine with warm water.

White Icing: Combine ingredients and warm to approximately 105 degree F. Adjust the consistency with water. It should flow freely from the pastry bag.

I did not use it all. I wish I did have a spring form. My cake was sliding all over the place! I think I had about a pint or more leftover. Did I freeze it and eat it like ice cream? I don't remember. I definitely did not throw it away.

I don't think your cake looks gangly at all! Purdy.

Had a great day at my kids' Drum Corps competition yesterday, brought a Boston Cream Pie and the Party Cupcakes I mentioned in a previous post. Getting pictures developed today, and if I can figure out the scanner will send pix of the cakes in a future post

In the meantime, here is my recipe for Boston Cream Pie. I use cake flour, which gives the cake a nice texture. For the filling, I use the double boiler, it never fails. For assembly, I put it all back in the springform pan, which holds it together nicely until serving time. This recipe makes a little more icing than you'll need...but I find if I leave the icing bowl by the dishes, I get help with clean-up. :rolleyes: Enjoy!

Boston Cream Pie

Cake:

1/3 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened

2/3 Cup Sugar

2 Eggs, separated

1 3/4 Cups Soft As Silk Cake Flour

2 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder

1/8 Teaspoon Salt

1/2 Cup Milk

1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour one 10 inch springform pan.

2. Mix flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.

3. Whip egg whites to stiff peaks, set aside.

4. In mixing bowl with mixer, cream butter and sugar.

5. Add egg yolks, blend well.

6. Add flour mixture alternately with the milk and vanilla, starting and ending with the flour mixture.

7. Fold in by hand the whipped egg whites.

8. Pour in prepared pan and bake 25 minutes until lightly brown on top. Cool.

Vanilla Cream Filling:

2/3 Cup Sugar

1/3 Cup Flour-all purpose

1/8 Teaspoon Salt

2 Cups hot, scalded Milk

2 Eggs, slightly beaten

1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract or other flavoring

1. In top of double boiler, over boiling water, mix sugar, flour and salt.

2. Add hot milk.

3. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring with a whisk, until mixture thickens.

4. Add eggs and cook 2 more minutes.

5. Stir in vanilla.

6. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate till needed.

Chocolate Icing (Ganache):

1 Cup Heavy Cream

1 Cup Ghirardelli Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter

1. Put chips in a medium bowl.

2. Bring heavy cream to a boil, pour over chocolate.

3. Stir till soft and shiny, add butter, stir till blended.

4. Refrigerate till ready to use.

To assemble cake:

Split cooled cake layer in half. Place bottom half of cake in the springform pan. Add Cream filling. Cover with second layer. Top with ganache. Keep chilled in pan till ready to serve.

Trish,

Your recipe looks great. The filling seems much less eggy and using chocolate ganache for the glaze probably makes it richer. I'm going to have to try again soon.

I just put this one in the archive.

Edited by claire797 (log)