• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spring

Michael Laiskonis

As we are finally starting to see spring here in the Midwest, I'm beginning to change the focus of my menu. I put a new dish on over the weekend...

Almond-Olive Oil Financier

Sliced Strawberies, Yogurt Cream, Rhubarb-Blood Orange Compote, Basil Syrup, Orange Powder, Sicilian Pistachio, Aged Balsmic Ice Cream, Rhubarb Chip, Yogurt-Strawberry Caramel, and a Strawberry "Water"...

For the pros... What is new on your menu?

For the non-pros... What are you doing at home, and what products are you looking forward to when you dine out?

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

At one of my places I have started doing a fruit gratin, w/ kirschwasser gratin cream..

At the other one I'm doing a shortcake, orange accented, with a mascarpone cream, mixed berrys and a mixed berry coulis. It's taking off big. Sold about 40 this weekend.

2317/5000

Zabaglione di Fragolini&[wild strawberry liquer]with poached rhubarb & vanilla gelato....Coppetta'creamsicle'tangerine sorbet,coconut gelato,toasted meringue....Yogurt /lime sorbet with pineapple rosemary marmelatta.

Edited by wingding (log)

I'm looking forward to sweet, solid red strawberries that have a real flavor in contrast to what is available (and, regrettably, often served) the rest of the year. Why do restaurants feel they have to offer out of season fruit even when it is so noticeably inferior?

Rhubarb.

That's an awfully complicated-sounding dessert, Michael. How is it served? Is it plated like a tasting or somehow combined into one "thing."

Edited by Sandra Levine (log)

Sorry to all for appearing and disappearing... I'm currently in the middle of a move...

You are right Sandra, the dessert sounds complicated on paper, but it is a stand alone item, and fairly seamless flavor-wise. Imagine the financier baked in a savarin mold (i.e. donut shaped), and all the components tucked inside and stacked up.

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

as soon as I finish my menu, i'll post it (thursday is my dead line)

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

FROZEN CHOCOLATE MALTED

warm cocoa banana tea cake, caramel emulsion

LEMON PUCKER TART

spiced graham crust, blackberry gelee, toasted marshmallow

CHILLED APPLE TERRINE

cider consomme, caramel popcorn crunch, vanilla gelato

TRIO OF CHOCOLATE

illegal choc pudding, white chocolate donut, hot choc souffle tart

PEACH & BLUEBERRY UPSIDE DOWN

almond milk, white chocolate parfait

PINEAPPLE TARTE TATIN

coconut macaroon, rum macerated tropical fruit, coconut gelato

still working on it................

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

will try. Night, Can you tell me how you upload photos?

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

FROZEN CHOCOLATE MALTED

warm cocoa banana tea cake, caramel emulsion

LEMON PUCKER TART

spiced graham crust, blackberry gelee, toasted marshmallow

CHILLED APPLE TERRINE

cider consomme, caramel popcorn crunch, vanilla gelato

TRIO OF CHOCOLATE

PEACH & BLUEBERRY UPSIDE DOWN

almond milk, white chocolate parfait

PINEAPPLE TARTE TATIN

coconut macaroon, rum macerated tropical fruit, coconut gelato

still working on it................

BPG,

GREAT looking menu!!!

Do you have an ice cream machine?

Really great menu, congrats

2317/5000

TRIO OF CHOCOLATE

Illegal chocolate pudding?

Also, what's cider "consomme'"? I trust it doesn't have chicken broth in it? Pardon the ignorance. :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

Tan,

I have a Krups 1 qt thats it. That's why I make parfaits, granitas, frozen mousses, etc.... The chef has started purchasing a much better quality ice cream (I flavor it to my needs)

ILLEGAL CHOCOLATE PUDDING

is so rich it should be a crime

CIDER CONSOMME

apple cider, cinnamon, vanilla bean scrapings, brown sugar and citrus zests. Simmered, then strained and chilled. Served in a shallow bowl.

Edited by bripastryguy (log)

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Ofcourse Sandra, what would spring and summer in NY be without Strawberry and rhubarb

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Tan,

I have a Krups 1 qt thats it. That's why I make parfaits, granitas, frozen mousses, etc.... The chef has started purchasing a much better quality ice cream (I flavor it to my needs)

ILLEGAL CHOCOLATE PUDDING

is so rich it should be a crime

CIDER CONSOMME

apple cider, cinnamon, vanilla bean scrapings, brown sugar and citrus zests. Simmered, then strained and chilled. Served in a shallow bowl.

BPG,

Know what you mean about Krups.

One of the places I work at has a cuisineart ice cream machine I do stuff in.

Very Frustrating!

I just found some Musso machines that I think I can get for one of my places.

It's at makeicecream.com.

There's one for 599.00 & one for 999.00.

2317/5000

I hate those containers, its so much easier with the standup machines.

I would go with the one for $999.00, it is a hefty price tag. But store bought is not that great

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman