• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strawberry Season

joler

Not as often as I would like, thus the need for memories. This does not mean that I am unable to find the produce, there are a couple of fantastic markets in Vancouver which distribute the delicacies on a regular basis.

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

If you like the taste of fresh strawberries, strongly consider making FREEZER STRAWBERRY JAM... rather than cooked.

The recipe is on the Sure Gel pectin box, and it's perfect. You don't cook the berries so the jam is redder and has a fresher taste. You store it in the freezer until you need it (the jars won't break, don't worry).

I have made the freezer jam for years and the flavor of fresh berries is outstanding. :smile:

If you like the taste of fresh strawberries, strongly consider making FREEZER STRAWBERRY JAM... rather than cooked.

The recipe is on the Sure Gel pectin box

TrishCT, do you know if Sure Gel is a national brand? I will have to hunt it down.

And does the freezer jam recipe work with other fruits?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

And does the freezer jam recipe work with other fruits?

Yes, it works very well with sour cherries. Because the pectin makes up for what the fruit is lacking, I think that you can use just about any fruit.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

From my post on the dinner thread about a month ago:

Dessert:

I had wanted to make strawberry shortcakes, but had no desire after dinner to even whip a quick scone recipe, so i improvised and ended up with a cross with tiramisu.

I macerated some straberries with sugar, then lined lady fingers up in a casserole and poured the strawberries on top and placed in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. I then whipped up some cream with sugar and vanilla and spread it on top and topped with some cocoa (I wanted to shave some choclate but didn't have any in the house). We ate typical Yamaguchi style, sitting on the floor with 5 spoons! biggrin.gif

Next time (and there will definitely be a next time!) I will use more strawberries!

Strawberry season is just ending in Japan, I Can't figure out why it runs from December to April here!

:huh:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Sure Gel is a powdered pectin product. I don't happen to have any in my cabinet at the moment, so not sure who distributes it.... Each box contains a little recipe book. It is crucial to follow those instructions exactly. For example, if you lighten up on the sugar the jam may not set. And yes, never double a batch. Gotta do it one at a time....

You can make freezer varieties with all kinds of fruit. The taste variation of freezer v. cooked is amazing. When it comes to strawberries I am especially partial to the freezer jam because of the fresh just picked taste it retains.

In Ct, I have come across Ball powdered pectin as well as Certo liquid pectin. I believe they also contain recipes for freezer jams.

Trish

My family and I used to go picking strawberries all day then return home to make lime sorbet with a balsamic-strawberry topping, deeelicious!

I agree, that does sound delicious. I like the idea of lime better than lemon I think.

I have to admit, while these berries from the roadside stand are very good (enjoying some now with a little vanilla yogurt), they can't hold a candle to picking your own. In a couple of weeks they will be ready here. There is nothing like a big, fat juicy, berry that is still warm from the sun. By the time I get home the whole car smells like strawberries and my fingers are bright red from munching all the way. :rolleyes:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

One of my favourite strawberry treats is strawberry almond meringue.

Make meringue, fold in toasted sliced almonds.

Pipe meringue into 2 or more round disk shapes about 1/2" high (either individual portions or cake sized)

Bake

When the meringue has cooled, fold strawberries into slightly sweetened whipped cream and sandwich between layers of crisp meringue.

The old fashioned Strawberry (or raspberry) mille-feuille is easy, spectacular and a crowd pleaser.

Another way we do a mille-feuille here is to use homemade sugar cookies (tea cakes in the Mid-South). Layer them with strawberries that have been capped and macerated with a little sugar and julienned mint leaves. :wub: