• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strawberry Season

joler

Just back from the beach and to my delight there were fresh strawberries for sale at several roadside stands on the way back. Not a person likely to do anything in moderation, I purchased 12 quarts. :blink:

Please share your strawberry suggestions and obsessions. :wub:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Well this certainly won't use up 12 qts but, it's really good. Strawberries . It's really easy, but served in an elegant parfait glass, it will look like you fussed for hours.

Sometimes I'll use Grand Marnier instead of Cointreau :smile:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Couple of months ahead of us in the UK. Here are some suggestions:

Eton Mess: Crush strawberries with suger to taste. Fold into whipped cream

Stewed with rhubarb, a Scandinavian delight: Cook rhubarb the usual way. When hot stir in the hulled strawberries. Let cool.

Strawberry kebabs. Thread strawberries on kebab skewers. Smother with rum or brandy butter (butter, sugar, spirit of choice, nutmeg, lemon juice). Grill or BBQ until hot. Serve immediately. If you like, flame with more spirit.

Strawberry jam. Problem here is to get enough pectin out of the strawberries. Cheat and add pectin.

Here is a mthod from an ancient newpaper clipping that I find works well:

1.5Kg/3lb strawberries

1.5Kg/3lb sugar (use Jam suger with the pectin in it if cheating)

Wash and hull fruit. In a large non-metalic bowl layer the strawberries with the sugar, cover and leave for 24 hours.

Next day scrape the contents of the bowl into a preserving pan, bring slowly to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Return the to the bowl. Leave for 24 hours

Next day repeat.

Third day boil until setting point is reached (220F, or some wrinkles on a cold plate), Stir in a knob of butter to displace the foam. Let it cool a bit before pouring into jars and covering .

I am thinking about making some jam. The strawberries in my town will be ready to pick in a few more weeks and then I can really load up. Over the weekend I tried a Cranberry-Hot Pepper Jelly that I purchased and spread it on turkey sandwiches. It was good, but did not have as much berry flavor or pepper flavor as I would've liked (sort of on the mild side). I was thinking of trying a strawberry jalepeno jam, that might be good on shrimp or chicken. I also recently saw (Stonewall Kitchens maybe) some Strawberry Balsamic Jam. Any other ideas?

Strawberry-rhubarb is my favorite pie! Thanks for reminding me. :wub:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

I am thinking about making some jam.  The strawberries in my town will be ready to pick in a few more weeks and then I can really load up.  Over the weekend I tried a Cranberry-Hot Pepper Jelly that I purchased and spread it on turkey sandwiches.  It was good, but did not have as much berry flavor or pepper flavor as I would've liked (sort of on the mild side).  I was thinking of trying a strawberry jalepeno jam, that might be good on shrimp or chicken.  I also recently saw (Stonewall Kitchens maybe) some Strawberry Balsamic Jam.  Any other ideas?

Strawberry-rhubarb is my favorite pie!  Thanks for reminding me. :wub:

Starwberries and balsamic are such a good combination, I imagine that a jam made with balsamic would be great. My mother makes a freezer version of strawberry jam -- with less sugar and a shorter cooking time, it always tastes much fresher than the usual type. But you do need freezer space to store it.

Starwberries and balsamic are such a good combination, I imagine that a jam made with balsamic would be great. My mother makes a freezer version of  strawberry jam -- with less sugar and a shorter cooking time, it always tastes much fresher than the usual type. But you do need freezer space to store it.

JAZ, would you mind posting it? That sounds great.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Starwberries and balsamic are such a good combination, I imagine that a jam made with balsamic would be great. My mother makes a freezer version of  strawberry jam -- with less sugar and a shorter cooking time, it always tastes much fresher than the usual type. But you do need freezer space to store it.

JAZ, would you mind posting it? That sounds great.

I'll have to get it from my mother, but as soon as I do, I'll post it.

I'm going to experiment with a balsamic version.

if you make jam be sure you're working on a clear day with low humidity.

foole: throw some rosemary and ginger and nutmeg and what-you-like into a glass of sweet wine and let it sit for a couple days, then strain and pour into the bottom of a trifle dish; layer whipped cream [with a little wine in it] and fresh berries til the bowl is full. i don't use much sugar-- sweeten to your preference. in two months do this again with blueberries.

My recipe for jam is similar to Jackals. I also sometimes add lemon juice and lemon rind into the mix. Amazing what little lemon juice and rind can do. I have never needed to add Pectin. Maybe cooking a little longer can help. The jams preserves perfectly and even a year later, it is delicious.

Strawberry lemonade is a favorite in my NYC household. I steep the strawberries in sugar and the juice of some lemons for at least 6 hours. By this point the berries are very soft (the lemons do the trick of making the berries very tender and helping them release their juices). I keep a half a cup of berries on the side and the remainder I blend. To the blended berries I add the 1/2 cup of berries and mix. Now I pour some of this into tall glasses and add water or even Soda depending on what the gang prefers.

Strawberry Shortcake was a big hit last year. It was eGullet that helped me find a perfect recipe for the shortcake. And after making it twice, my family and friends realized if made with care and love, this dessert really is everything that people remember it being from their grandmas times. I can never make enough of it, and never too many of it in any given week. I often amuse the berry vendor at Union Square farmers market because I come and by many boxes of berries. They are expensive but worth it.

The old fashioned Strawberry (or raspberry) mille-feuille is easy, spectacular and a crowd pleaser.

Bake 3 pieces of flaky pastry. Unless you are an expert pastry chef, a good suermarket fresh or frozen pre-packed is OK, especially if you you incorporate extra butter by doing an additional "turn"

Bake according to the instructions on the pack - 20 mins in a hot oven or so.

Can use shortbread instead.

Let them cool. Sandwich together with plenty of whipped cream and lots of strawberries. Dust the top with icing sugar.

To serve cut with a serrated knife.

a good suermarket fresh or frozen pre-packed is OK, especially if you you incorporate extra butter by doing an additional "turn"

Now that's a good idea!

The problem I always have with bought is it rises beautifully but tastes of margarine

whereas the problem with homemade is that it makes like a pancake but tastes of butter!

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Use small sweet strawberries in blondies as you might use chocolate chips.  Call them Strawbverry Blondies.

This really sounds wonderful Sandra. Would you have a recipe? I remember we had a thread on blondies.. I shall now go look for it. I should keep the recipe handy for when I am back in NYC and there are juicy strawberries in the farmers market.

I have never had home-made blondies that I was charmed by.... But I know I have not yet met someone that knows how to make them well. It will happen, I am sure, and something tells me between you and the other talented lot on eGullet, I am not far from finding a recipe that will become one of my kitchen favorites.

The old fashioned Strawberry (or raspberry) mille-feuille is easy, spectacular and a crowd pleaser.

Bake 3 pieces of flaky pastry. Unless you are an expert pastry chef, a good suermarket fresh or frozen pre-packed is OK, especially if you you incorporate extra butter by doing an additional "turn"

Bake according to the instructions on the pack - 20 mins in a hot oven or so.

Can use shortbread instead.

Let them cool. Sandwich together with plenty of whipped cream and lots of strawberries. Dust the top with icing sugar.

To serve cut with a serrated knife.

What a great idea.

I agree with the inclusion of citrus with the strawberries. My family and I used to go picking strawberries all day then return home to make lime sorbet with a balsamic-strawberry topping, deeelicious!

Thanks for the extra ideas everyone!

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

I have never had home-made blondies that I was charmed by

In the past, I've posted this as a variation on my brownie recipe, so for all I know, this may be one of the blondies that have never charmed you, but for everyon else:

Strawberry Blondies

Pre-heat oven to 350 F.

Grease and flour an 8" x 8" pan.

In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt 5 tablespoons of butter.

Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Beat in 2 eggs, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of flour, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.

Stir only until flour is incorporated.

Add 1/2 cup of small, sweet strawberries.

Pour batter into pan and bake for 23 minutes, until the top is dry. This will not test as "done."

Allow to cool completely before attempting to cut into small squares.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITH LESS-THAN-WONDERFUL STRAWBERRIES.

I have never had home-made blondies that I was charmed by

In the past, I've posted this as a variation on my brownie recipe, so for all I know, this may be one of the blondies that have never charmed you, but for everyon else:

Strawberry Blondies

Never tried it Sandra. I am sure it is great. I shall use it once back in NYC. Thanks for posting it. You are always most generous. :smile:

I agree with the inclusion of citrus with the strawberries. My family and I used to go picking strawberries all day then return home to make lime sorbet with a balsamic-strawberry topping, deeelicious!

Thanks for the extra ideas everyone!

Where was this? How lucky you were. I have never gone strawberry picking...only on my deck and rooftop.

The sorbet with the balsamic-strawberry topping sounds deeeelicious indeed.

Outside the Vancouver area lies the Fraser Valley to the East, a lot of fantastic produce comes from this region. yes, we were quite fortunate to be able to go and explore these areas albeit too young to realize it at the time!

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

Outside the Vancouver area lies the Fraser Valley to the East, a lot of fantastic produce comes from this region. yes, we were quite fortunate to be able to go and explore these areas albeit too young to realize it at the time!

But still, you have memories and it is that which counts. I envy you... I love strawberries, and we go great, amazing berries in Delhi and Bombay..fresher and far more affordable in Bombay since they had them growing in Mahabaleshwar. The berries were small and sweet. And full of juice. I would spend most late summer nights enjoying strawberries and cream.

And when I was lucky to have been pampered, my mother would have malai (cream collected from boiling milk over a few days) for me to schmear on toast and top with macerated fresh berries.

The only thing in NYC that has come close to reliving that memory of strawberries and malai is the dessert bruschetta at Inos in Greenwich Village. Amazing is an understatement. In the peak of summer, on a good day (when the berries are really great), you can find these bruschettas to be the best little bites you can eat anywhere. They are prepared with great bread, mascarpone and a healthy drizzle of great Italian honey and freshly ground blackpeppercorn. And in the middle are fresh strawberries. This is the most amazing simple dessert of a lifetime. It leaves me with far greater spirits than what any of my favorite and much revered French desserts ever can. This simple dessert, like the strawberry with the malai, comes with a soul and oomph that haute cuisine and fussy cuisine cannot always find easily.

Do you make visits to the Fraser Valley every summer?