• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green chickpeas

wingding

You can find green or white peas in Indian markets.

These are called matar or vatana.

They are made into stews, prepared like regular chickpeas or into chaats (mouth watering street food type dishes) and certainly many regional recipes exist.

Did you buy some? What kind?

On the eve of Holi (the festival of color), in our home, as in many, but sadly not too many, Holika is burnt (a bornfire) and choliya (green fresh peas, not to be mistaken with the peas we get frozen in supermarkets) is roasted on the flame and eaten by all. Holi is the festival of color and also harvest. And these are harvested around that time. Which is towards the end of March.

We would eat chaat made with lemon juice, chaat masala, roasted fresh green peas and finely sliced red onions.

I make a stew using the dry ones. I cook them till tender. Add lots of finely grated fresh ginger, toasted cumin powder, green chiles and salt. I cook this till all the water has evaporated and the peas have beome very soft. I also mash some and throw back into the pot. I throw finely diced red onions, lemon juice, some chaat masala and cilantro leaves as garnish. You can top this with sev (fine chickpea flour noodles) and eat as a snack.

On the eve of Holi (the festival of color), in our home, as in many, but sadly not too many, Holika is burnt (a bornfire) and choliya (green fresh peas, not to be mistaken with the peas we get frozen in supermarkets) is roasted on the flame and eaten by all. ......

I remember that - Actually green chickpeas came as a bunch with leaves and small branches. One could also pick the chickpeas from their individual pods and eat them raw.

anil

the freshly roasted peas were so sensational.. sweet and smoky... I can still taste the flavors, even though I have not had them in over 11 years. :smile:

Suvir: you can't tease us this way!

Be the gentleman we know you are and tell us the whats and how to's as well! Please!

Scottish Chef, they are simple. I have never found them in any farmers market or farm stand or green grocer in the US. That is why it has been over 11 years since I last had them. All you need to do after you find freshly harvested green peas, you need to roast them till almost burnt. Then pop open the pods and the peas inside are oozing with their sweet juice and the charring gives a smoky flavor. Divine. Nothing else was done to them. Simple and wonderful.