• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb Stew

While in Spain, I had the pleasure of eating several delicious versions of what I understand is a classic dish: lamb ragout with roasted roasted peppers. The meat was marinated in olive oil, wine, cumin, and sweet paprika. The stew, if I recall, contained onions, garlic, lemon juice, additional paprika (and perhaps cumin?), and lots of roasted red peppers (which might have been piquillo peppers, now that I know what they are). One version also contained tomatoes; another had some sort of piquant ingredient(s) as well. Are you familiar with this dish? Does your book have a recipe for it, or something like it??

Thank you, Marina, for participating in this Q&A.

The dish you describe sounds like a classic lamb stew from Navarra, Cordero a la Chilindrón. It is my understanding that this ancient stew was originally made with lamb and choricero peppers, which are used in making chorizo. Modern recipes I have seen use fresh sweet red peppers – canned pimientos or red bell peppers will work. The piquant ingredient you seek is probably cayenne pepper.

My book contains a recipe for Aragon Lamb Roasted with White Wine and Herbs, and a Marinated Leg of Lamb with Anchovies and Garlic, but it does not contain the recipe for this lamb stew. However, I can tell you that the versions I have seen contain anywhere from 2 to 3 pounds of lamb, a few slices of bacon or ham, 1or 2 onions, 1 or 2 garlic cloves, 4 to 6 tomatoes (or one pound), 2 large red bell peppers or several more small piquillo peppers, 1 bay leaf, 1 or 2 pinches of cayenne pepper, and sometimes 1 teaspoon of paprika. If covered and cooked over low heat, this dish requires no additional liquid. Nonetheless some recipes add 1/2 to 1 cup of red wine and 1 cup of vegetable or beef stock.

- Marina

Marina C.