• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tasty n Authentic Cajun restaurant in NYC

DavidJS

The topic is fairly self explanatory the last time I tried Cajun in Manhattan it was Great Jones Cafe. Kinda disappointed compared to my experience in New Orleans and Los Angeles. Anyone experience the real stuff.

I have no idea how authentic it is, but have you tried Cajun on 8th Ave and 16th Street? I always enjoyed their oysters Rockefeller, Roffignac, and something else. And they'd always modify a Sazerac the way I preferred it.

However, their fried chicken (admittedly not a cajun dish) was mediocre.

And isn't there Sazerac House on Hudson Street (near St. Luke's)? Have not tried it, myself.

Too bad the Cajun craze is over. Used to love Bon Temps Rouler (oh! their pain perdu with bourbon/cream sauce) and How's Bayou (fried chicken livers). :sad:

Since I doubt we can find a decent cajun restaurant overall, maybe we can identify individual cajun items around the city which are okay.

Delta Grill (700 Ninth Ave.@48th St.) has decent Gumbo, but everything else is mediocre.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Oh, Cajun in Chelsea is horrible. Acme or Great Jones are better.

But my favorite, favorite cajun place (and one of my favorites of any kind) is La Gould Finch, on Ave. B and 6th St. Great cajun food and a great vibe. They're pretty low profile, but it's always a great time.

Cajun purists: please skip to the next post

And for the rest of you...

There's a great little pizza shop called Mardigras Pizza, on Maiden Lane in the Wall Street area. They have a crawfish pizza with andouille sausage. Both the crawfish & sausage are trucked in direct from N'awlins.

A friend of mine wrote an article on Cajun restaurants in NY for Time Out a few months ago, and deemed Bayou (308 Lenox Avenue) the best one, followed by Delta Grill. He's from Louisiana so acknowledges that they aren't as good as the ones back home, but do the job for here. I haven't been to Bayou but ate at Delta Grill a few times. It was decent.

Anne E. McBride