• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cooking

torakris

A friend of mine bought a roasting pan and rack. She put them to use making some kind of roast beast (details, details..) "Mm, that was great! " her (now)ex said. "Don't worry, I'll do the dishes!"

Hours later, still hearing noises coming from the kitchen, my friend walked in to discover her brand new nonstick roasting rack 99% scraped clean and shiny of the "burnt" nonstick coating.

My ex tried to show me he could be a more efficient cook than I, who not only wasted time putting together carefully planned meals, but ended up with loads more dishes that had to be washed than if I bought things ready to pop in the mouth.

He made a dish of fried hamburger and mushrooms with macaroni. He saved time by not washing or trimming the mushrooms.

It had an interesting texture to it.

It did not prolong our marriage.

A friend of mine asked if I wanted some french fries,as a snack.

Walked into the kitchen with him and watched while he filled the basket and then lower the basket into cold oil,and then turned on the stove. :laugh:  :huh:

I'm assuming these were frozen fries (and if so, I agree - eew), but I should point out a recipe for fries that Jeffrey Steingarten published in "The Man Who Ate Everything" and attributed to Joel Robuchon. The instructions are to pour cold peanut oil over raw sliced potatoes, then put on the highest heat. Supposedly by the time the oil reaches 350 F, the potatoes will be "deep golden brown and ready to eat". Never tried it myself, but I've been wanting to every since I read the book.