• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

any moss recipes?

Smarmotron

Here's a great one if you're a monkey god:

In Bali, I befriended an architect who took me to a temple on which he was at work and explained that to make the Hanuman and other stone sculptures outside the temple (or was it a hotel?) look old and authentic, he'd slathered them with yogurt to help them gather moss.

Doubt that I'll soon forget a sign I saw in a town close to Ubud either:

"Antiques: Made to Order"

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Marc Veyrat, six star Michelin chef, uses moss.

Here.

The assiette of amuses-bouches had to be demonstrated to the staff and we were the first there, so we had it all described by the chef himself. After he had caught a lone moth and good-naturedly grabbed hold of a waiter who wasn't paying proper attention. The assiette included a small clam, ceps on a breadstick to be dipped in a parsley purée and a mousse of moss. Big, complex flavours. This was followed by a pot of snails in garlic.

edit:

Also here.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

a mousse of moss.

"Moss" in French is "mousse," no? So. Very. Clever.

You get what you pay for, I suppose.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Then there's Chef Jacques Blacke-Shellac at his Auberge de Inukituk with his moose mousse. This is usually served squeezed into tubular skins, set between the sides of a steamed long wheat bun and served with a paste made from mustard seeds and another made from pureed tomatoes.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Mmm. I lichen moss.

Moss appears in many recipes under the name carrageen, or Irish moss.

But Irish moss is a seaweed.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Then there's Chef Jacques Blacke-Shellac at his Auberge de Inukituk with his moose mousse. This is usually served squeezed into tubular skins, set between the sides of a steamed long wheat bun and served with a paste made from mustard seeds and another made from pureed tomatoes.

Equally scrumptious is his mouse mousse. Tastes much the same, only smaller.

MsR: Right. Aren't there half a dozen or so different edible plants that we call "moss"?

Veyrat has improved upon the recipe, however, by making the mousse from moose, mouse, and moss (eight varieties). (Note Blacke-Shellac trained with Veyrat before opening in Saskatchewan.)

Veyrat has improved upon the recipe, however, by making the mousse from moose, mouse, and moss (eight varieties). (Note Blacke-Shellac trained with Veyrat before opening in Saskatchewan.)

Rumor has it that Blacke-Shellac will soon start selling it by weight...

"What's the mass of that moose/mouse/moss mousse, Miss?"

MsR: Right. Aren't there half a dozen or so different edible plants that we call "moss"?

I don't know. From the little I know, seaweed is different from moss. Moss is a bryophyte and seaweed is a marine algae.

I don't know what type of "moss" the first poster was referring to.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Food phyte!

I've never really thought about eating moss. Now, thanks to this thread, I've thought about it, and now I will go back to not thinking about it.

This recipe includes the instruction:

"Shape the shrimp mousse, coriander, black moss, sausage like flowers"

Is black moss moss?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Is black moss moss?

I don't think so. I believe it's seaweed.

edit:

Wait. No, it's algae.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

Marc Veyrat, six star Michelin chef

Six star? Is that a joke, or is there a Michelin star system for chefs that I've never come across before?

Michael aka "Pan"

Marc Veyrat, six star Michelin chef

Six star? Is that a joke, or is there a Michelin star system for chefs that I've never come across before?

It's a joke but a quotation from the link I cited. He was awarded three stars for two different restos.

Chinese have various dried mossy/seaweedy things

At New Year we had a special moss/licchen thing. Can't remember its name. Black. Very fine but all tangled up like a beard.

Pig to wash it - we don't use water. Soaked and rinsed it in oil and teased out the little bits of dirt. Then cooked as part of soup.

Dunno if anyone know more about this stuff.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!