• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tuna Tartare

viejo majadero

Since I have deduced that there are many who come to this site that are either Professional Chefs or very knowledgeable about food I am asking for help.

I want a recipe for tuna tartare that is non-asian.

Had a great dish --citrus based -- at Striped Bass in Philly but have not been able to reproduce. Any ideas??

As an aside, I am going to Striped Bass this Sunday for Brunch and will try to get recipe from them but all your comments would be very well appreciated.

Thanks in advance

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Viejo, I bet we'll get more responses if we move this topic to the Cooking forum, okay?

Emeril has a recipe for tuna tartare that looks good on paper: Diced tuna, minced shallots and chives, grated orange zest, olive oil, verjus (I think this is the key ingredient that differentiates this recipe), salt and pepper, garnished with chopped walnuts. You should be able to find the recipe on the Food Network site.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Gracias

I am new to this and trying to figure it out.

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

I've made ceviche with tuna, very yummy.

Chop up the tuna and add the dressing 1/2 to 3 hours before serving (the longer the fish is dressed, the more "cooked" it will be.

My dressing recipe is:

juice of 2 limes

1 Tbs. lime zest, julienned

1/4 cup olive oil

2 Tbs minced onion

2 Tbs minced jalepeno

1/4 cup minced tomatoe

1 Tbs minced cilantro or parsley (or both)

Tuna Tartare was my obsession last summer , i made it every week until i was sick of it. Here is a version for you to try:

Chopped tuna

1/2 clove of finely minced garlic

1 stalk of finely minced scallions

handful of chopped basil

handful of chopped cilantro

chopped jalepeno

lime juice

Olive oil

You can also subsitute olive oil with chili oil, and omit the jalepeno all together. Or, use a mixture of lemon juice and lime juice. I left some of the quantities up to you because how much you use really depends on personal taste.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

One of my favorites is very simple, mince up the tuna add some salt a couple splashes of tabasco, serve on thinly sliced toasted bread garnished with chives.

ceviche is another wonderful way to serve raw tuna, I vary the juices and herbs depending on my mood.

last time I used orange,lemon, marjoram and parsley and lots of red onion.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I usually chop finely, add seasoning, a bit of chile puree (I'll have to try tabasco, Kristin), and some minced shallot. Then endless variations of herbs and such. Sometimes creme fraiche and fresh mayonaisse.

edit:

Sorrel. I often use sorrel.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

FG

Two of the chain grocery stores in my area sell tuna frozen in cryovac that was caught, cut, packed, and frozen fresh at sea. When they go on sale, sometimes around $4-5 a pound I buy them but not from the shelf. I get them from the store freezer and take them immediately to my freezer.

When thawed the meat is a beautiful pink, no fishy odor at all.

If I can get a recipe from Striped Bass today I will share. I am very particular about raw tuna. Too many times the ingredients of the recipe taste great but the taste of the tuna gets overwhelmed, or, the tuna is cooked by the acidity. I want the tuna to keep it's identity as a component of the dish.

Edited by viejo majadero (log)

I added the recipes to the eGRA.

Here is guajolote's recipe for Tuna Ceviche.

And here is Bond Girl's Tuna Tartare.

Bond Girl, would you mind editing the recipe to be a bit more specific on quantities or ranges of quantities? Thanks!

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I added the recipes to the eGRA.

Here is guajolote's recipe for Tuna Ceviche.

And here is Bond Girl's Tuna Tartare.

Bond Girl, would you mind editing the recipe to be a bit more specific on quantities or ranges of quantities?  Thanks!

Done.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Any tuna-purchasing tactics that might be relevant here?

Ask the guy at the fish counter "How's the tuna?". If he says good, buy it.

I'm very lucky, I have a trustworthy fishmonger. He always tell me where it comes from, when it was caught, and when it arrived at the store. For me the smell test (no smell) and touch test (flesh should "spring" back after a poke) are also pretty reliable.

Right.

Or at least you're best to.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Any tuna-purchasing tactics that might be relevant here?

Ask the guy at the fish counter "How's the tuna?". If he says good, buy it.

I'm very lucky, I have a trustworthy fishmonger. He always tell me where it comes from, when it was caught, and when it arrived at the store. For me the smell test (no smell) and touch test (flesh should "spring" back after a poke) are also pretty reliable.

And no hint of iridescent sheen. :blink: