• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Padstow UK

Fat Guys mention of a record breaking day promted me to share my day.Today we fed more people than we have ever fed.....ever!

We don't normally resit tables, but for a local gallerys exhibition, we did. A 2 course lunch for £15 proved very popular, so we did 2 sittings of 18 people.I did not set up our little deli display this morning, as we needed the table, but regulars were coming in all day for Bread, olives etc etc.

Fully booked tonight with 22, mostly people who had been before, so a very good atmosphere.Children on one table were making thank you cards for us, and drawing pictures, very sweet! :biggrin: Also did a take away dinner for 4 people.

The Ebb, a new restaurant opened tonight, called in after service to wish them luck.I know that sounds crazy, but their builders only left at 6.20pm, first guests arrived at 7.20pm, so i thought they had enough to do without me bugging them.Have not seen a menu, but the place looks fantastic.Its in the old "Brocks" premises, for those than know Padstow.Will keep you posted when i get a chance to try it myself.Also noticed that the lights were on at Ripleys in St Merryn, so i guess they are open again after thier building work.So the scene here is buzzing!

and the sun shone all day :cool:

only downers are my feet are killing me, and my extraction system at work is playing up, but these are only minor irritations on a very Good Friday in Cornwall

Cheers

Basildog, sounds like a great, hope there are many more like it to come (you'll have to order one of those electronic foot baths for after service). The Ebb sounds interesting, how come they beat Stein to the property, he must have been after it surely?

Andy, i was after it first :raz:

Changed my mind, when i realised that i didn't want that kind of stress and that amount of borrowing :laugh:

The owners used to have No 6 in Middle Street, a proven restauarant in Padstow.

Maybe Rick could answer your question, if he's reading this????

If the good people at Ebb would like to post something about their restaurant I'm sure we'd love to hear about it. And I don't say that simply because I am hoping to spend my summer holiday in Padstow this year if we can find a cottage to rent that will take a dog. No, I have the best interests of all our members out there and would never just think of mself.

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes. We are in the process of trying to buy a puppy so may decide to wit until after our holiday to get it. I wouldn't want to land you with a not fully trained puppy. Indeed, I don;t relish the thought of driving 400 odd miles with one either.

• 4 weeks later...

What is it with city folk when they visit small towns?

Had a guy banging on the door tonight at 10.15pm asking if we were still open.We were full tonight (one table didn't show) and by 10.15pm the last tables were on coffee, and chatting, paying bills etc.So i said politely to the guy that we were finished for this evening.Well he begins this rant about how nobody wants to work in Cornwall, and where he comes from you can get food at 3am.I asked where he was from, and hes replies Liverpool, Macklesfield,Chester.I said, well those are large towns and cities, and we have a different way of doing things down here.Then i said Goodnight and closed the door on him.

So , all you city types, do you feel the guy has a point? When you visit small towns what do you want?

edit 3am not 3pm

Edited by Basildog (log)

I want small-town hospitality, and I want what the proprietor wants --- those two things go together :biggrin:

It's a bit like a tourist who goes to the Lake District to enjoy the scenery, but he wants a taxi rank at the foot of every hill and fully-serviced public convenience every 100 yards up to the peak. What on earth is the point of "getting away from it all" if you want to find everything you left behind ? :blink:

I know you have it right, Basil, because you get so much enjoyment out of what you do, and then you even manage to make a lot of eGulletarians (as well as all your local regulars) want to come back again and again. What better proof could there be ?

Sorry about your no-show tonight, and I'm sorry to be tomorrow night's no-show :sad: Look after the Finches, won't you ? :smile:

Thanks Macrosan.

I kind of felt for the guy, cos Monday night i was out with friends, and we couldn,t find anywhere to eat.We met at a Pub that stopped food at 8.30pm.The annoying thing was that food was still coming out at 9.30pm when we left.Monday is a bad night, Chinese closed, Pizza Joint closed...ended up at my own place cooking after the last paying guests had left :laugh:

If he had been polite, instead of ranting, then maybe i would have felt more for him, rather than the gut reaction of "fuck off back to Liverpool!"

the guy was obviously devoid of any manners, it was late and he would have been able to see that everyone else was finishing their meal and he should have gone to bed hungry!. However, I do find it mildly amusing that in most pubs outside our fine capital, lunch is only served until 2pm - what is all that about? I imagine it goes back to the days when most pubs closed at 3pm, does everyone get up earlier in 'the country' or get hungrier sooner?? I certainly don't start hollering and shouting about it though, just order another pint and have a bag of crisps. :biggrin:

That man must have been deluded. I live in Chester and the only food you cna get at 3am is yuor usual takeaway rubbish, the same goes for Liverpool and Macclesfield (which is only a small town anyway!).

Basildog, please don' t think all us NorthWest people are so rude. I wouldn't cream of turning up at a restuarnt expecting to get served after 10pm.

Edit: sorry didnt notice you said 3pm instead of 3am!

Edited by Mrs Woman (log)