• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arthur Avenue Retail Market

Jason,

Wonderful post with fabulous pictures. I love the retail market on Arthur Ave. It is probably the single best place to get Italian products in the USA, however, it has its idiosyncracies. One of your pictures of Pete's Meat Market showed the sausages called Chevrilade. If I am not mistaken, the Chevrilade on Arthur Ave. is made from lamb. There are usually a number of different types of chevrilade, the most popular of which contains cheese and parsley. Their chevrilade is tasty, but IMO is no match for the chevrilade from Brooklyn made from pork. The most notable producer that I know is Esposito's Pork store on Court St. They also make great fresh mozzarella and braciole. While I don't know for sure, I would guess by the word chevri-lade, that the true origens of this sausage may be from goat. Anybody know for sure?

Doc, I know this is an old post but a saw no response to it, so I'll take a crack at it.

Cervellata is a somewhat regional Milanese sausage of pork sirloin with pork and veal fat, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and spices such as saffron and nutmeg. It is also made with pig’s brains (hence the name; cervella means brain). I really need to get a life and get down to Arthur Avenue, before spring. Does anyone know the hours on Saturday?

That picture of Jason's Yankee Stadium hero, is a killer. :biggrin:

woodburner

Yes, the Yankee Stadium is indeed the greatest sandwich in the world! The "Albainian" is a pretty good alternative too, although its very different.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Yes, the Yankee Stadium is indeed the greatest sandwich in the world! The "Albainian" is a pretty good alternative too, although its very different.

Jon, could you provide me with the Saturday hours? Also, could I expect to see all if not most of the individual markets open on that day?

Thanks

woodburner

Stand in front of Mike's, turn around, and you will be in front of the best selection of Italian olives I've ever found, including big "Greek" olives, cerignolas, and the amazing, hard-to-find, mild, buttery (really), green castaveltrano. I've been known to make a special trip to Arthur Ave. just for those!

about those castelvetrano olives.. just curious, are they the same as the bright green, buttery, olives Fairway sells, or are those too cerignolas. i once asked them about it and they showed me the jar where they get it from, but I since forgot the info.

btw, the mta just announced they are a special weekend fare "cityticket" on all metro north, and LIRR trains, ifyou are travelling within the city, the fare is $2.50 (down from $4.00-$4.75).

cityticket info

Arhtur Ave is a coupla blocks from the Fordham station, closer than the 4, or D subway. if you already have a monthly pass, or weekly pass on any metro north line, then forget about this thread. if you can't shop on weekends, then also foret this thread...

Edited by jeff29992001 (log)

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd bring this thread to the foreground, it being Good Friday and all. Probably heading over to AA tomorrow and Mike's to pick up an Easter Pie.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm going there in the morning with my family to pick up some goodies for Easter dinner. The nice thing about a multi-faith family is that I've got Passover the one week, and Easter the next.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Does anyone know if Peter's Meat Market will pack sausage in dry ice for transport back to Ohio. I'll be in NY sometime in May and since I moved to Cincinnati I've been deprived of killer Italian sausage. There just ain't any here!

What's the best way to get to Arthur Ave. on public transportation from the UWS?

Take the 1 or the A to 207th St. and get the BX12 local bus. Look for the White Castle on your right--Arthur Avenue is either that street or one past. It's about a 10 minute bus ride once you cross into the Bronx.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Two new Mikes Deli sandwiches:

i5340.jpg

The T.C. Firemen's Special

i5342.jpg

The Albanian, Bresaola and Greek Feta

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

its got hot sorpressata, genoa salami and peppered ham on it, in addition to hot and sweet peppers with lettuce, tomato and fresh mozarella. Its basically a spicier version of the Yankee Stadium.

• 3 months later...

With a Friday off and a bit of extra money in the budget this month, Kirk and I spent a great afternoon at the market--it had been a while since we'd been.

i10471.jpg

Clockwise from bottom: prepared lupini beans, dried mozzarella balls, strozzapreti, stuffed peppers, smoked mozzarella, parmigiano reggiano, proscuitto bread, provolone bread (bread from Madonia Brothers down the street) and hot sopressata in the center. Not pictured--the perfect old-school $2 nutmeg grater.

That, the numerous samples everywhere, and a Yankee Stadium sandwich with a yummy side of pesto pasta made for a great afternoon of browsing, eating, and walking, and an even better evening of nibbling. If you haven't been here, or haven't been in a while, get thee hence to the BX12.

Jamie

Is notwithstanding up.

biowebsite

"Strangled Priest" -a type of pasta

The name makes sense. They are narrow ribbons of pasta 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" long that have been twisted. I thought maybe they would be great with olive oil and some roasted garlic, with the pockets in the pasta catching bits of the oil etc.

Does anyone know if there's a standard/traditional way these are served?

Jamie

Is notwithstanding up.

biowebsite

• 4 months later...

New Arthur Avenue pics.

gallery_2_0_425880.jpg

A spread of some of the seasonal offerings at Pete's Meat.

gallery_2_0_160589.jpg

Happy Mike's Deli patrons eat among the holiday baskets.

gallery_2_0_87540.jpg

Crown Roast of Pork from Pete's.

gallery_2_0_18902.jpg

The Legendary Mike Grecco.

gallery_2_0_157672.jpg

gallery_2_466_1102824835.jpg

My lunch.

gallery_2_0_54926.jpg

Stuffed artichoke from Mike's.

gallery_2_0_94784.jpg

Some type of special pork roast from Pete's.

gallery_2_0_10574.jpg

Chops from Pete's.

gallery_2_0_125176.jpg

Rachel's tuna sandwich from Mike's.

gallery_2_0_435412.jpg

Addeo Bakery

gallery_2_0_559084.jpg

Fish Market

gallery_2_0_222130.jpg

More Fish Market

gallery_2_0_201469.jpg

Baccalao

gallery_2_0_378189.jpg

Inside Teitel Brothers.

gallery_2_0_95664.jpg

Counter area at Teitel Brothers.

gallery_2_0_453480.jpg

Some stinky dried fish stuff outside Teitel Brothers.

gallery_2_0_167100.jpg

The newly opened Arthur Avenue branch of Umberto's Clam House.

gallery_2_0_235068.jpg

Rachel standing in the queue outside Teitel Brothers on Arthur Avenue.

Some great looking pork. Thanks, Jason.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

The day culminated at dinner with friends at their house. We brought some Italian sausage from Pete's and bread from Addeo Bakery, and made some sausage sandwiches.

gallery_2_0_496541.jpg

gallery_2_0_225022.jpg

gallery_2_0_38855.jpg

gallery_2_0_79577.jpg

Roasted Peppers and Onions

Turn oven to 450F. Slice onions, put in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, dried or fresh herbs (basil, oregano, thyme). Spread evenly on an aluminum foil lined sheet pan, place in the oven.

Use a combination of colors of bell and Italian frying peppers. Clean and cut into strips. Sprinkle with the same stuff as with the onions, and spread on its own foil lined sheet pan and put on the other oven shelf.

I did them on separate sheet pans because the onions and peppers take a little different time to cook, the onions a little longer (hence they go in the oven about 5 minutes before the peppers). Every 10 minutes or so, take them out of the oven, use a wooden spatula to stir and respread out the vegetables. They should be done after the peppers have been in the oven for ~25 minutes, having stirred them up twice during the process (oh, and switch oven shelves after stirring).

Both the onions and peppers were cooked just right. In the past the onions have burned on me because the smaller pieces tend to stay more on the bottom of the pan. Also, it is hard to cook a lot of vegables on top of the stove on on the grill.

To serve, either place them in separate bowls or combine them into one dish. Use to top sausage sandwiches. The leftovers are great for omelet fillings, soups, stews, spaghetti sauce.

Shopping notes: Two weeks before Christmas isn't as bad as Good Friday before Easter, but all the stores were more crowded than on a typical Saturday. In particular, Teitel Brothers was nuts. They had a guy at the door to let in customers just a few at a time. Despite that, the store was packed.

You know, I think the problem with Teitel Brothers is that they actually have too many guys working behind the counter. I suppose that keeps the wait shorter, but the more countermen behind the counterman, the more customers they pack in the store, and there isn't that much floor space that isn't taken up by groceries. Don't go in there on a busy day if you are claustrophobic.

gallery_2_0_378189.jpg

The countermen like to have fun by busting (customers) balls, which just confuses the situation further. There is no way to keep in communication with the guy who is helping you as he goes back and forth getting what you've requested, going to the slicer, etc. And you can't talk to another guy: they ask if you are being helped, which you are, but say you have a question, the first guy gets all annoyed at you and the second guy if you talk to the second guy.

There was some talk that these guys work on commission, is that true? If so, then I feel justified in talking to the 2nd guy, the 1st guy wasn't very helpful in answering my questions, but then a 3rd guy said the 2nd guy is full of shit and didn't know what he was talking about when it comes to whatever I asked him about.

The only good part about Teitel Brothers is that thier prices are at least 20% less than the retail stores (for example, the hanging dried sausages and salamis are $6.99/lb at Teitel and $8.99/lb at Mike's Deli; yes, all varieties). But the negatives are as I've outlined above. Also, they push you to get more than you want. For example, I asked for a certain cheese. He held up 1/2 an ~8" wheel of the cheese, "you want 1/2 or the whole thing?" he asked, as if those were the only responses. In the past I would have taken that 1/4 wheel, but I was getting annoyed at this point and said I wanted a 1" wedge. He held the knife (indicating a 2" wedge), I said, "no, smaller!" Don't let them push you around.

The moral of the story? Only go to Teitel Brothers when you know exactly what you want. Even better, write down what you want -- a clear list, even specifying the thinness or thickness if you are having stuff sliced -- because your counterman will be on the other side of a crowd when he's slicing it.