• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arthur Avenue Retail Market

Also, David Grecos mother Antoinette has a great little coffee/sandwich shop right across the street from the deli, but the name escapes me at the moment

Its the Arthur Avenue Cafe & Focacciaria at 2329 Arthur Avenue , with a blue-green awning in front.

When it had first opened, the espresso was inconsistent unless David himself made them when he got off work in the evening. By now, I think, the waitstaff should be trained pretty good but I havent been back in about a year, we didnt get a chance to go there yesterday because things died around the neighborhood at around 4pm. They do have really good desserts there and for the most part I prefer it to Enzo's, which is the cafe owned by the family that owns Dominicks.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Ooh, all the photos made me hungry (well, except for the whole animal ones...). But the one I just went "gimme!" over was the ham pie/Easter pie. I miss my grandmother's. It's just not the same when anyone else makes it. But that won't keep me from scarfing down my aunt's tomorrow. :biggrin:

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Its the Arthur Avenue Cafe & Focacciaria at 2329 Arthur Avenue , with a blue-green awning in front.

Thanks for reminding me, I knew it was something simple like that. :biggrin:

I was there last July during the Fancy Food Show - Antoinette and David's sister were running the place. My friend and I sat outside, drank espresso with Drambuie chasers and listened to the Arthur Ave. monologue that poured forth from Antoinette's mouth. It was kind of like hanging with Catherine Scorsese - very insider old school, very cool, very entertaining! Apparently her other son is an actor who runs with Chazz Palminteri and all the other NY actors from the Bronx hood - he lives in LA and I keep running into people who know him.

That the world is so small freaks me out. :blink:

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Did you all make it to the Mt. Carmel Wine shop on 187th Street...an amazing selection of Italian wines and real knowledgeable staff as well!

Yes, I did, but only took a few pics in there and they all came out crappy because of the lighting, and it was late in the day and the camera was almost out of battery power from all the flash photography.

Its an awesome store, I bought some good stuff in there. Ramon is THE man.

http://forums.egullet.org/show.php/act/ST/f/24/t/19781

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

_crowd.JPG

See the woman carrying the tray of cups? She was walking up and down the line with wine and at other times samples of salami & stuff. When your customers are on line for half an hour, this is very welcome customer service.

_davegrecco.JPG

That's Dave on the left and Peter, one of the deli-men, on the right. The woman in line behind me waited for him to finish with another customer so she could have him serve her personally. I think I will next time too. :wink:

Rachel had a mozzarella sandwich on some kind of flatbread:

_mozzsand.JPG

The problem with this sandwich is it was one of the made up ahead of time sandwiches. The bread on the bottom was soggy, while the bread on top was stale. Note to self: always order something freshly made! The insides of the sandwich were delicious though, fresh mozzerella and ricotta with tomato, if a little bland. I stole a couple of pieces of salami off Jason's sub to give it a little zing.

Stand in front of Mike's, turn around, and you will be in front of the best selection of Italian olives I've ever found, including big "Greek" olives, cerignolas, and the amazing, hard-to-find, mild, buttery (really), green castaveltrano. I've been known to make a special trip to Arthur Ave. just for those!

You are of course, referring to these:

_olives.JPG

Yes, I agree, its an impressive display.

The olive display area is part of Mike's Deli. You usually pay for your selections from there at the deli counter. However, on a very busy day, if you are only getting something from that side of the aisle, you can pay Graciella (she who gives you olives) directly.

_davegrecco.JPG

That's Dave on the left and Peter, one of the deli-men, on the right. The woman in line behind me waited for him to finish with another customer so she could have him serve her personally. I think I will next time too. :wink:

I just re-read my post and realized I was unclear. The "him" I was referring to is Pete. Dave is always around, but usually I don't see him filling customers' orders. Dave usually acts like a host, making recommendations, giving samples, schmoozing. But Pete filled my line-neighbor's order with much more efficiency and clarity than the server who helped me (there was a language barrier, he kept asking other servers to translate).

Okay, so we went back to Arthur Avenue today. Theres no such thing as too much good Italian food, right?

Here is what the Retail Market looks like from the outside:

retailmarket.jpg

We found some people inside eating an antipasto platter, prepared by Mike's Deli:

antipasto.jpg

The crazy guy was there again:

crazyguy.jpg

He was pretty scary, but he sold me some really nice looking frying peppers:

peppers.jpg

The Pete's Meat guys were happy to show off their wares again:

petesbracciole.jpg

peteslamb.jpg

petesmeatcase2.jpg

Dave Greco was doing his daily stretching exercises:

mikemozz2.jpg

But I was too distracted by the salumi, the free samples, and Mussolini.

mikesalumi2.jpg

mikesamples.jpg

ilduce1.jpg

The Cigar guys at Casa Grande were too busy to talk to me:

casagrande.jpg

I checked out their smoking room (yup, its legal)

smokingroom.jpg

We then walked down the street and went into Madonia's bakery:

madonia1.jpg

madonia2.jpg

And picked up some cannolis.

cannoli.jpg

Then we went back in the other direction and checked out Randazzo's Seafood. Here's a guy shucking cherrystones:

randazzo1.jpg

And here's some conch:

randazzo2.jpg

All that running around made us pretty hungry, so we stopped in at Roberto's. Here's a shrimp and zucchini appetizer with an arugula pesto:

robertos1.jpg

and a risotto with sausge, potatoes, peas, and black truffle.

roberto-riz.jpg

And finally, the signature dish of the restaurant, Fusilli with Seafood in Cartoccio:

In the foil:

roberto-past2.jpg

And out of the foil:

roberto-past3.jpg

We were totally stuffed afterwards, but we went over to the Arthur Avenue cafe to top off the evening:

arthuravecafe.jpg

Show off :biggrin: Do you'll know that Roberto's is one of the two places in the neighborhood, where you are bound to get consistently good serving without the pseudo-presentation; and wholesome portions -

anil

Looks kind of empty for a Saturday.  Did the rain keep folks away?

It was less busy than usual. I guess a rainy day is a good day to go.

However, this did not stop people from packing Robertos like a sardine can by 6PM. We had thought if we got there by 6, we'd get a table inside for sure. Instead, we ended up eating outside under the enclosed awning space with the outdoor heaters. Hence the checkered tablecloths instead of the nice wooden tables.

Tip: If you don't get to Robertos by 5:15-5:30 on a Saturday, you're hosed.

I AM SALIVATING!!!!!!

The shrimp and zucchini with arugula pesto looked sinful. The seafood in cartoccio tempts me to take a four hour drive right now, except that it is Sunday and the seafood won't be quite as fresh (if they are even open). One nitpicking point, however, is that the pasta in the picture with the seafood is not fusilli (corkscrew spirals), they are gemelli (twins).

For those who are thinking of going, Sunday is not a good day to go to Arthur Ave. as a lot of the markets are closed.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

According to the menu they call it Fusilli in Cartoccio. Keep in mind that Robertos makes FRESH pasta inhouse. All of their pasta dishes use fresh pasta. But you are right it does look like Gemelli. Maybe thats what they had that day and substituted or they never bothered to change the menu (which look pretty beat up these days)

Whatever it was and whatever it was called, it still looked absolutely delicious. My own preference, however, would be with either bucatini or perciatelli, two thick tubular spaghetti-like paste that go really well with tomato based seafood sauces.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

As a past Arthur Avenue resident for 3 years, I would like to shed some light on some places not mentioned in Jason's post and to expand on others. For fresh mozzarella, I always liked Casa della Mozzarella best. They make it on Weds morning and some other day I don't recall. Always loved their domestic prosciutto, fresh mozzarella and roasted pepper sandwiches. Vincent's meat market was my regular place for meat. I especially like their lamb sausage. Though Roberto's is the best restaurant in the neighborhood, Emilia's is worthwhile too and has a nice lunch special. Even Cafe al Mercado makes some respectable and large pasta dishes, not great, but better than you'd expect. During cold weather their tripe and baccala can be quite good. The wine shop is a fair value for Italian wines but a great value for Spanish offerings, vintage ports and other non-Italian spirits. The owner orders a lot of things he likes personally, but that don't sell to his Italian seeking customers. Thus he is often seeking to unload some of this stuff at a good price. For semolina bread, I slightly prefer Addeo's over the other places. If at all possible, avoid weekends, easier said then done. I don't think the best produce and fish is available on Fri and Sat. Plus the shopkeepers are so busy, you can't pump them for advice and get the best free samples.

Stand in front of Mike's, turn around, and you will be in front of the best selection of Italian olives I've ever found, including big "Greek" olives, cerignolas, and the amazing, hard-to-find, mild, buttery (really), green castaveltrano. I've been known to make a special trip to Arthur Ave. just for those!

Do the olives tend to have sulfites? Ive been a die hard Sahadis fav for almost as long as Ive worked nearby....but Ive been told there that theirs dont have sulfites. How about the ones up on Arthur Ave (I seriously doubt no sulfites is a specialty thing...). Just for once Im gonna have to make a pilgrimage to Da Bronx. God help me lol. Theyll void my Brooklyn passport!~

Edited by nyfirepatrolchef (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Jason, this is so neat! Thank you.

Ever since enjoying Molly O'Neill's "New York Cookbook"--with its wonderful descriptions of the boroughs and their specialties--I've wanted to go spend some extended time in NY just to wander. Your photos were the next-best thing!

When I was there last, in 1999, I hoofed it around Chinatown. Most memorable moment: When the driver of a truck pulled to the curb just ahead of where I was walking. He came to the back of the truck and threw the doors open to display piles of pig carcasses! :blink:

Also managed to visit Russ and Daughters and have a sandwich at Katz's Deli.

I really wish I could convince myself to fly more often.....

It's interesting--I live in Seattle, but I rarely go to our famous Pike Place Market. It's just too darned touristy.....The NY markets seem more real to me.

• 7 months later...

Rachel and I made a short trip to the Arthur Avenue retail market today and we made these sandwiches for dinner when we got home:

Da Bronx meets the French Quarter: Muffaletta A La Viale Del Arturo:

i1922.jpg

i1923.jpg

All of the salumi is from Mike's Deli: Bresaola (cured thin sliced filet mignon), Alpino Salumeo, Prosciuttini, Prosciutto Affumicato (Speck), shaved aged San Michele provolone.

I topped this with Central Grocery Olive Salad from New Orleans sandwiched between a wedge of round loaf from Madonia Bakery.