• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods--tofu

torakris

Just wondering, is there a difference between chinese and japanese tofu making? I think Chinese use this thing thats the same as making casts to solidify the tofu, pls correct me if i'm wrong, but I've always heard my parents saying that.

Is this the same process as in the japanese tofu?

Just brought some freshly hand made tofu from San Jose Tofu in bay area, can't wait to try some of Kris's recipe!!!

Tofu, whether Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese or Thai, is usually made by weighting and draining curdled soymilk usually in cubic-shaped molds with holes, with weight applied on top. Traditionally these were lined with some fabric material like cotton (momen) or silk (kinu), though this can be replicated with non-fabric technologies now. I believe oborodoufu doesn't do any weighting down but some draining is done (or I might have that background).

Some high-tech tofu, like the shelf-stable kinugoshi-doufu from mori-nu, are solidified insided the package using a controlled ratio of calcium chloride and some cornstarch-based unpronouncable coagulant (Gluconalactone). But most good tofu is made in a manner that replicates the traditional techniques.

You can look at http://www.ued.janis.or.jp/syoku/tofu/factory/ to see some photos from a Japanese tofu factory.

Just wondering, is there a difference between chinese and japanese tofu making?  I think Chinese use this thing thats the same as making casts to solidify the tofu, pls correct me if i'm wrong, but I've always heard my parents saying that. 

Is this the same process as in the japanese tofu?

Just brought some freshly hand made tofu from San Jose Tofu in bay area, can't wait to try some of Kris's recipe!!!

corrected typo in url, again :P

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Thanks Jason. So, if it's a good tofu traditional place, no coagulation of any sort is needed? Calcium carbonate or magnesium sulfate? I really really like the tofu i got from this place, it taste so fresh

Thanks Jason. So, if it's a good tofu traditional place, no coagulation of any sort is needed? Calcium carbonate or magnesium sulfate? I really really like the tofu i got from this place, it taste so fresh

All tofu needs some sort of coagulant, otherwise it would never form. The differences come in the types of coagulants used, the best tofu uses natural sources.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Which type of tofu do you use to make ma po tofu, momen or silken?

I never doubted that momen was the right stuff until I read this thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=0entry940411

Ma Po Tofu, The texture of my tofu isn't right

I did some google search and found this graph:

http://www.bea.hi-ho.ne.jp/ashir/mabo.html

Even in Japan, the number of people who use silken tofu is comparable to that of people who use momen.

Learning new things eveyday!

Example of ma po tofu made with silken tofu:

http://dinner.nekosuke.net/archives/000421.html

I use both, depending on what I happen to have in the house. I prefer momen ("cotton") though for ma po dodu as well as for most other things...

i am not a tofu afficiando by any means, but there's this little Korean/Asian restaurant downtown here in Lafayette, Indiana that has a really beautiful tofu appetizer. little pyramids of deep fried tofu (it's got the thinnest layer of crispiness on the outside, and thi inside is creamy and delicious) sitting in a soy sauce/sesame/garlicky sauce with shredded seaweed on top. very simple, but divine!

i usually just drain extra firim and throw it into my pad thai and stir fry things. tried a packaged baked tofu once, but the SO and I both left teh brownish, beef jurky-flavored chunks on our plates.

Every recipe I have found requires both katakuriko and kuzuko to make godoufu. But the ratio is 4:1 katakuriko to kuzuko.

I think without the kuzuko it will be more like the tounyuu no warabimochi I had in Kyoto.

Is kuzuko indispensable for getting the right texture?

As you know, kuzuko is rather expensive...

I think you are right.

I remember that my wife once made kuzu mochi from 100% kuzu ko. It was firmer and more translucent than fake kuzu mochi, if I remember correctly.

I mean that the starch-based coagulant isn't used, just nigari, or even refined versions of nigari like calcium carbonate are acceptable.

The difference, to me, is analogous to traditionally made cheese vs. Velveeta.

So tofu which is coagulated in the Tetra-pak it's sold in doesn't qualify, in my book, as good tofu... though I'm sure mori-nu would disagree. Their main advantage is that it is unlikely you would find soured tofu, unlike some supermarket brands with optimistic sell-by dates that are more than one or two weeks in the future.

Mediocre tofu is better than sour tofu.

The most important thing when considering tofu, more than any other single factor, is freshness. I would rather have very fresh extra-firm tofu (which is for me not at all an ideal texture for tofu) than a slightly soured oboroudoufu, in spite of how much I love the texture of a good oboroudoufu.

By the way, Hiroyuki suggested to me that kinu (silk) wasn't used in kinugoshi-doufu production, but that it described the texture. My source for this was Gaku Homma's generally excellent book "Japanese Country Cooking":

Traditionally, soft tofu (kinugoshi tofu) was produced by using a very fine cloth as an extra filter during production. This cloth, traditionally silk, was made with a very tight weave which allowed much less of the soybean "milk" (made from ground soybeans) to pass through.

Gaku's book does have many small errors from translation, and sometimes he also bases his explanations on folklore rather than on documented history. But he was a museum curator at one time, focused on documenting traditional crafts, so I'd be inclined to believe that.

All tofu needs some sort of coagulant, otherwise it would never form. The differences come in the types of coagulants used, the best tofu uses natural sources.

Jason Truesdell

I guess this belongs in another thread, but here is a photo of the Tounyuu no warabimochi I had in Kyoto.

It's served with kuro-mitsu (black sugar honey syrup) and kinako (toasted soybean powder).

I feel the texture is somewhat more like godoufu than typical warabimochi, because it was not nearly as chewy as the typical warabi-mochi I found, but still different than godoufu.

If, however, you happen to have a little extra godoufu, please try serving it with kuromitsu and some seasoned kinako (hint of sugar, hint of salt). This was discussed on a blog entry which also discussed an excellent French restaurant hidden away in the Nose valley near Osaka, and showed some nifty yuzen fabrics from Kyoto

The boundaries between the sweet and the savory aren't always sharply defined in Japan. I remember being served tokoroten as a welcoming snack at a ryokan in Izu (Shizuoka-ken), and we were offered the choice of dressing it with mustard and soy sauce or with kuromitsu.

On the other hand, when I served some friends in Japan the rather ordinary Chinese/Vietnamese dessert of oborodoufu with ginger syrup, with a little bit of anko because it was readily available, my Japanese friends thought this was incredibly innovative. So sometimes convention defines the boundary.

tounyuu-no-warabimochi-640w.jpg

Jason Truesdell

Here is what I found about kinu dofu:

From http://www.kamo-tofu.com/touhu-age-arekore/tohuhistory.htm

現在の「絹ごし豆腐」は、250年ほど前の江戸時代に細乃雪(ささのゆき)という豆腐料理屋さんが発明製造し、将軍に献上したところ絹のように滑らかでツヤがある豆腐ということで「絹ごし」という名前をいただいたとのことです。
The present "kinu goshi dofu" was invented and manufactured by a tofu restaurant called Sasanoyuki in the Edo period about 250 years ago. It was presented to the Shogun, who named it "kinu goshi" because it was smooth and glossy like silk.

I have confirmed from several sources that silk is not used for kinu goshi dofu production.

Official website of Sasanoyuki:

http://www.sasanoyuki.com/

Look at the photo of tofu dishes served there:

http://www.shikian.or.jp/sikian3-3.htm

And, here is what matsutakekichigai wrote about Sasanoyuki:

I hope someone sees this in time. I‘m in Japan now and have been told about a Tofu Resturant in Tokyo. My teacher could only tell me the following. It's a very old Tofu only restaurant in the Nipori area. He thinks it's called Sasanoyuki or Sasanayuki. Close to Uguisutani. It's been there a very long time and is very traditional. I can speak Japanese and am going with someone that can speak Japanese so there will be no Meiwaku. I've tried to look on the sites people have sugguested with no luck. Please help me if you can. Thank you very much.

Post #144 in http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...sanoyuki&st=120

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

i am not a tofu afficiando by any means, but there's this little Korean/Asian restaurant downtown here in Lafayette, Indiana that has a really beautiful tofu appetizer. little pyramids of deep fried tofu (it's got the thinnest layer of crispiness on the outside, and thi inside is creamy and delicious) sitting in a soy sauce/sesame/garlicky sauce with shredded seaweed on top. very simple, but divine!

sounds like a kind of age-dashi tofu, I like the idea of garlic and sesame in the sauce. The Japanese sauce tends to be a bit tamer....

a very simple dish of simmered koya-dofu (freeze dried tofu), it isn't the prettiest thing but it sure does taste good and the biggest plus is that all three kids love it! :biggrin:

gallery_6134_1003_25287.jpg

Favorites in order:

1. Hiyayako (love the katuso / ginger on top)

2. Agedashi tofu (amzing when you capture just the right amount a warm/hot dashi on the spoon coupled with the tofu)

3. Mapodofu (the firm trype is the way to go for me....I stated making this 2-3 x/month for a while)

I also sometimes simply throw tofu in the fry pay with some oil and later add some soy sauce....maybe too simple but it tastes good....! I use the firm type for this also.

:biggrin:

Paul

猿も木から落ちる - Saru mo ki kara ochiru

(Even monkeys can fall from a tree)

One of my fondest memories of the 5 years I lived in Osaka was hearing the Tofu Man going around the neighborhood yelling "ttooooooooooofffuuuuuuuuuuuu” and buying tofu freshly made (I think.) He had a big attachment sitting on his bike and would store the tofu in the box-like attachment.

:rolleyes:

Paul

猿も木から落ちる - Saru mo ki kara ochiru

(Even monkeys can fall from a tree)

I guess this belongs in another thread, but here is a photo of the Tounyuu no warabimochi I had in Kyoto.

It's served with kuro-mitsu (black sugar honey syrup) and kinako (toasted soybean powder).

I feel the texture is somewhat more like godoufu than typical warabimochi, because it was not nearly as chewy as the typical warabi-mochi I found, but still different than godoufu.

If, however, you happen to have a little extra godoufu, please try serving it with kuromitsu and some seasoned kinako (hint of sugar, hint of salt). This was discussed on a blog entry which also discussed an excellent French restaurant hidden away in the Nose valley near Osaka, and showed some nifty yuzen fabrics from Kyoto

In your blog you mentioned you think the Tounyuu no warabimochi was made with kudzu. You dont think it was made with warabi starch? Not that I'm very familiar with the differences in texture, but I do have warabi starch in my kitchen as well...maybe i can experiment.

Any guesses as to recipes for Tounyuu no warabimochi? If you think the ingredients are the same as godoufu, what do you think contributes to the differences in texture that you observed?

Next time i will definately try my godoufu with kinako/kuromitsu as you recommended. i was lazy and pretty much only ate it with ponzu sauce the first time.

I think I was under the impression that it was kuzuko because I expressed doubt to a friend that there would be a sufficient supply of starch made from bracken to support all the confectioners making warabimochi. We somehow learned (not from the shop in question) that warabi-mochi flour is often labeled as such but contains other ingredients; I noticed this on some of the packages available at Uwajimaya. (Even Kuzu-ko is sometimes blended with other ingredients to save money).

A confectioner in Kyoto noted:

http://www.bashoudo.com/english/aboutwarabi/index.htm

the name of "Warabimochi" comes from an edible wild plant "Warabi" (bracken) wich is th eraw material of "Warabimochi". As the real Warabi is very expensive, many "Warabimochi" sold in stores are made from a substitute starch such as poteto or tapioca. Some sweet shops use kudzu arrow root starch instead.

http://www.bashoudo.com/english/aboutwarabi/index3.htm has information on the extraction process.

Jason Truesdell

• 2 weeks later...

Okara 雪花菜 (おから), is the residue left after making tofu. You can buy it really cheap at grocery stores, and even get it free from some tofu-makers.

"You should steam or bake/ toast raw okara for 25 to 45 minutes and cool before using, to make the proteins more digestible and remove undesirable enzymes. It is also traditionally prepared by frying with some oil until thoroughly cooked, at least 20 minutes. Steamed, sauteed with vegetables and then simmered in a broth to serve over rice is the most popular and traditional Japanese recipe for preparing okara". From here.

I recently made some Okara prepared this way following this recipe:

http://www.suresave.com/recipesofhawaii/sa...e_jun_2004.html

Awhile ago, I saw a place somewhere in Tokyo that makes tofu, and uses the left-over Okara to make donuts, which were really popular with thier customers.

These recipes look yummy:

http://gourmet.yahoo.co.jp/bin/rsearch?p=%...srt=1&ord=1&b=1

Can Okara be frozen, before or after making a dish with it?

How do you like to prepare your okara?

This is the first time that I have ever learned that okara can be spelled 雪花菜. I did some google search and found that this word can also be pronounced kirazu (meaning 'no cut', which refers to the fact that you don't need to cut okara before use). Another name for okara is 卯の花 (u-no-hana).

Can Okara be frozen, before or after making a dish with it?

You can freeze okara before use. Some people seem to recommend parching it until dry before freezing, but I don't think this is necessary. Can it be frozen after use? I think so, with no clear confirmation.

Sorry to say, I have never made okara dishes in my entire life!

Today I took some of my left-over Okara (prepared the simmered way), and made it into a sandwich with a little bit of mayo, alot of avocado, cucumbers, and tomatoes. It was pretty yummy, the okara went well particularly with the avocado.

Hmmm....tomorrow we are planning to make pizza....Okara pizza anyone???

• 1 month later...

I recently started making soy milk. Kristin's eGCI class is awesome! I've since purchased a SoyaPower soy milk maker and find it makes making soy milk about as easy as cooking rice in a rice cooker. I'm pretty impressed with this appliance.

I'm ready to get into making tofu. I think I'll be doing a lot of this so I'd like to get a tofu press. I've done some searching with Google and have found tofu presses made of cypress wood, plastic, and stainless steel. Would one of these be preferable?

I did some google search to find that any container with holes at the bottom can be used as a mold (to make momen (cotton) tofu). For example, you can use a paper milk carton; you only have to make some holes at the bottom.

Stainless steel molds are the most durable and the most expensive. I think that professional tofu makers use stainless steel ones.