• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reply to Rosie

viejo majadero

My New Jersey top 15, but not necessarily in this order.

Nicholas, in Red Bank

Jocelyne's, Maplewood

Le Rendez-vous, Kenilworth

Zarole, Ridgewood

The Manor, not buffet but Ala carte Dining room

Epernay, Montclair

Twenty Eight, Montclair

Sonoma Grill, East Rutherford

Stage House Inn, Scotch Plains

Lu Nello. Totowa

Bacchus and Bruschetta, in Fairfield

Mignon, Rutherford

Scalini Fedeli, Chatam

Ryland Inn, Whitehouse

Black Forest Inn, Stanhope

This keeps me busy.

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Have not been to Rats. Trenton area is pushing it from Kinnelon. But, have heard good things.

Agree on Nicholas. Had a Chaine des Rotisseur dinner there and the Hararys blew me away.

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Rosie

Kinnelon and for that matter through Wayne is pretty much "Culinary Hell".

Now as to your question -- Siena.

Have been there twice. I like to call places like Siena -- "Fancy Pizzerias". Yes they have Northern but this is just, to me another of the myriad "gravey" based places all over this area.

I would have to say that the closest Italian to where I live, that I like, is in Denville, Casa Di Amici. Found food to be good, modern, takes standards to a higher level. Ex: Their fried calamari -- has been written up on these pages. Joe Felice still can achieve better than he is doing, in my opinion, but the place is still a baby and I feel has not hit its stride.

Unfortunately, success and greatness can be miles apart.

The night I was there the bread had that refridgerated/reheated taste and texture. The risotto, while wonderfully flavored, was under done to the point that the hard chunks got jammed in my molars.

And, I must add the positives really outweighed the negatives -- but the negatives are what separates the good, bad and ugly.

Rosie

Have heard the same. I usually go there for lunch with a friend that eats there regularly.

They have in my opinion the best Seafood Salad. I usually order it as an entre.

Actually, I am retired or retarded -- not sure which and my friend owns a business in the area..

Have never seen a politician there but who knows, since the door is open, anyone can walk in.