• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MaryIsobel

MaryIsobel

16 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Making French Onions soup for dinner tonight since I bought a lot of onions yesterday at a farm stand and had a bunch of beef stock in the freezer. I usually use a combo of Ina and Julia’s recipes and adjust the booze to whatever I have on hand (today it's sherry and white wine) but was browsing around this morning and came across what I consider to be a genius idea. Instead of that one big slice of bread, which is hard to break up with a spoon, cut the bread into 2” cubes, toast and proceed as usual. Should be a lot easier to eat with a spoon.🤞 I'll report back.

Definitely much easier to eat. As mentioned, I toasted the 2" chunks of bread, tossed them on top of the soup, smothered them with some shredded mozzarella, then slices of Swiss and popped them under the broiler. While eating it, my nephew said "why has no one ever thought of this?" I assured him that someone had, as it was not my idea. He thinks it should be the only way french onion soup is made now.

MaryIsobel

MaryIsobel

16 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Making French Onions soup for dinner tonight since I bought a lot of onions yesterday at a farm stand and had a bunch of beef stock in the freezer. I usually use a combo of Ina and Julia’s recipes and adjust the booze to whatever I have on hand (today it's sherry and white wine) but was browsing around this morning and came across what I consider to be a genius idea. Instead of that one big slice of bread, which is hard to break up with a spoon, cut the bread into 2” cubes, toast and proceed as usual. Should be a lot easier to eat with a spoon.🤞 I'll report back.

Definitely much easier to eat. As mentioned, I toasted the 2" chunks of bread, tossed them on top of the soup, smothered them with some shredded mozzarella, then slices of Swiss and popped them under the broiler. While eating it, my nephew said "why has no one ever thought of this?" I assured him that someone had, as it was not my idea. He thinks it should be the only way french onion soup is made now!