• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

American Samplings

I fondly remember, from my family's travels when I was young, a restaurant in Marysville, CA., that served wonderful Basque food. The soup, which must have been collecting it's flavors in the soup pot for days, was almost a meal in itself! The restaurant was an introduction to a different part of the world, and helped open my eyes (and other senses) to the pleasures of exploring other cultures.

Which restaurants across the United States would you recommend, to give people an idea of what food in the Pyranees can taste like? I can't be the only soul with grandchildren in need of this introduction, and I could use a good taste comparison myself, to make sure what I'm cooking is heading in the right direction.

And thank-you for joining us, Ms. Chang!

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

• 2 weeks later...

I am flattered that you might think my expertise and experience with Basque and Pyrenees style restaurants spans the breadth of the entire United States. I know of a few good restaurants in some urban areas, such as New York, which has the famous La Cote Basque in midtown Manhattan, which serves French food with a Basque emphasis, and the more distinctively Basque, Marichu, adjacent to the United Nations. In the San Francisco area, the fine dining restaurant, Fringale, serves food in the French Basque style, and B44 serves authentic Catalan fare. Near Palo Alto, California, the restaurant Sent Sovi prepares some fine Catalan dishes alongside other international dishes. You may be able to obtain more information at the Basque Cultural Center located in South San Francisco.

However, if you are seeking good Basque home cooking as you travel through the country, I would advise you to look primarily in the western states where large numbers of Basque people settled; California, Idaho, and Nevada having the largest ethnically Basque population.

In California, Fresno and Bakersfield seem to have the greatest ties to the Basque traditions and food, and in Nevada, Reno, Winnemucca and Elko are known for their large Basque presence. This link to a Sunset Magazine article may give you a start with Basque restaurants in these and other western state cities:

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/Premium/Trave...asqueT0500.html

You may also find some helpful information from the North American Basque Organization's website, at http://www.naboinc.com

- Marina

Marina C.

Thank-you for the links! Along with your personal recommendations, they're enough to give me (and others) a good start on the treasure hunt!

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!