• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tips & tricks for perfect "blue" steak?

gus_tatory

hi culinary montreal--

i have a query--i'm wondering if anyone can offer tips & tricks to get that platonically perfect "blue" steak? that is, a steak that is crusted and caramelized outside, as well as blue-rare inside.

this is for home prep, so no grills unfortunately.

what i do now: pre-heat a cast-iron frying pan in a 400-degree oven, pre-heat a burner to high, dip the steak in kosher salt and coarse pepper, and try to only turn 1-2 times.

any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

gus

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I witnessed an embarrassing episode at a local high-end restaurant where my cousin insisted on a "bleu" steak and sent it back twice--the center was cold. Her boyfriend at the time was a chef in Miami so I guess I can cut her some slack for ordering a blue steak, but she should of realized the local kitchen staff here in the outback are used to medium-rare and don't know shit about blue. She wound up eating only salad which at the time I though she deserved for being so picky.

It was obvious to me that the kitchen was cooking cold steaks straight out of the fridge. If you want to blue it, let it come to room temp first.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

It was obvious to me that the kitchen was cooking cold steaks straight out of the fridge. If you want to blue it, let it come to room temp first.

PJ

I agree! Let it come to room temperature before you even start. I have had the most success by following this:

Preheat oven to 400F. Preheat cast iron pan on stove top to very, very hot. Sear steak on stove top (get used to a smoky kitchen!) for a minute or so each side and then bung in the oven to finish.

I never try to cook a steak this way unless it is at least an inch and a half thick!

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I would never finish a "blue " steak in the oven. Sear two minutes per side on the hottest possible cast iron and then rest for about four minutes. And yes, of course at least an inch thick and at room temperature.

Edited by Ruth (log)

Ruth Friedman

I agree with Ruth.

I use a grilling pan.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

All you need is a heat source that achieves at least 1500 degrees. :blink:

Seriously, no home range burner or grill gets hot enough to achieve a true black and blue or Pittsburgh steak. You just cant form the crust at 500 degrees without overcooking the inside.

I have a Viking gas range, and they say their broiler hits 1500 degrees ... In my experience the result from cooking a steak under the broiler, top rack, about two inches from the broiler array, is roughly the same as the sear-in-skillet, finish-in-oven method.

I should add, I suppose, that this broiler has sold me on this type of range forever. It's awesome. It's responsible for the rusty pile in the yard that used to be a gas grill.

All you need is a heat source that achieves at least 1500 degrees.

I think you could generate that kind of heat at home with a welding torch (roesebud tip) and a 14" cast iron skillet --outside of course and with the use of welding mittens. Measuring temps over 1,000° gets tricky. You have to rely on the color of the metal. I might actually try this.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)