• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods--mushimono

Akiko

Today at a Japanese restaurant I had a steamed dish of daikon slices with a piece of goose liver in the middle and melted cheese on top. The whole thing was steamed in a covered bowl with some stock. The sweet radish was complemented very well with the rich liver. Surprisingly light tasting. Too bad the cheese was tasteless and its stringiness got in the way.

I finally made the yuzu-cha mushipan last night and it was quite good.

The recipe didn't specify how many "cups" it would make, but there was a lot of batter and it would ahve required steaming it in 3 batches so I poured it into a 9 inch cake pan and steamed it that way.

I should have lowered the heat a little (did it too late) and the edges cooked more then the middle, but it was still very good!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

重ね蒸し

kasane-mushi

Kasane is from the verb kasaneru which to layer things or pile them on top of each other. Foods that have been cooked in this way are layered then steamed, something like this

gallery_6134_549_12638.jpg

these are layers of Chinese cabbage and thinly sliced pork that were layered in a frypan, seasoned with a bit of sake, then steamed over low heat for about 20 minutes.

The final dish was then seasoned with some ponzu.

kaki no hoiru-mushi =foil steamed oysters :biggrin:

i could eat this everyday but dh says: it makes me ....errrr....to happy :cool:

6 oysters

1 naga negi (onion)

6 asatsuki (chives)

2 tbsp miso

1 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp milk

-wash oysters (i like salt and sieve method)

-slice negi and asatsuki

- mix miso and sugar well, add milk

put oysters & negi in foil, pour on the miso mixture. close the foil on all sides. bake in oven toaster for 10-15 minutes. sprinkle with chives before serving. if you use small oysters, i recommend reducing cooking time.

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

• 3 months later...
I finally made the yuzu-cha mushipan last night and it was quite good.

The recipe didn't specify how many "cups" it would make, but there was a lot of batter and it would ahve required steaming it in 3 batches so I poured it into a 9 inch cake pan and steamed it that way.

I should have lowered the heat a little (did it too late) and the edges cooked more then the middle, but it was still very good!

torakris do you have a recipe for this?
"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

No pictures yet of chawanmushi on this thread, so here's one that I remember especially enjoying. It was a chilly, autumn evening and the warmth of both the food and the serving dish were perfect! It was a restaurant in Kyoto that specialized in "banzai," Kyoto's version of small dishes. I guess that this would make it a Kyoto style izakaya? I don't remember exactly what was in it, but I jotted down that it was labeled as "Gomoku kawari chawanmushi" on the menu (assuming that I read the kanji correctly!)

gallery_31440_3297_69831.jpg

gallery_31440_3297_4110.jpg

• 4 months later...

I made a wonderful chawan mushi (steamed savory egg custard) the other day. I prefer to make my chawan mushi in a large bowl rather than individual cups as I find it easier. This version had ground chicken (sauteed with sake salt and pepper first) and mizuna stems (this was the only vegetable I had in the refrigerator at the time).

It was really good, though the mizuna stems all floated to the top.....

gallery_6134_4148_663820.jpg

Though it was fine as is I topped it with a sauce or soy sauce-rice wine vinegar-sesame oil-sesame seeds

gallery_6134_4148_648985.jpg

• 3 months later...

My daugher attended a cooking class yesterday and made this:

gallery_16375_4595_63490.jpg

gallery_16375_4595_73767.jpg

Steamed cake with bits of banana in it.

I must say I'm a great fan of this and other simple yet tasty home-made cakes, especially if they are made by my daughter!