• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods--mushimono

Akiko

Mushi-pan

I love these things... they manage to be light and have a richness at the same time. As a texture fanatic, I'd always have to restrain myself from pushing my finger into the ones on the shelf! (think of the old lady in Tampopo... that's me... although I'm really not that old, I just happen to like textures!)

Does anyone have a recipe for this? I like the variations (green tea, coffee flavoured) but my favorite is the traditional custard.

mushi pan are truely wonderful. I wasa ctually going to make these 2 days ago but never got around to it.

I don't know anyone who makes them from scratch, since the instant mixes are quite good.

The only recipeI have (and the one I was going to make) is for yuzu-cha (Japanese citron "tea") mushi pan, I'll give them a try today and let you know how they go.

mushi pan and meron (melon) pan, my two addictions. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Yuzu-cha is a Korean product that is becoming very popular in Japan. It is similar to a marmalade (it usually contains, thin slices of yuzu, yuzu juice, sugar and honey) and can be used similarly, though it tastes great drunk as a tea.

In Japan it can be found at some large supermarkets, "international" type superkarkets or other import stores as well as at the kimchi counter of most department store basements. Outside of Japan I have never had a problem finding it in a Korean grocery.

Yuzu cha looks like this (sorry Japanese website, couldn't find anything in English):

http://www.hokuchin.co.jp/webkounosyoyuzucha.htm

As the the mushi pan mixes I have not used them in a year or two, but I think you just add some like water and then steam them. I have recently noticed some package specifically for the microwave, but have no intention of giving them a try.

• 1 month later...

Chawanmushi too. With a chunk of lobster knuckle meat and thinly sliced shitake.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

chawanmushi:

http://www.bob-an.com/recipe/dailyjc/basic...hwan/chwan.html

Has anyone every eaten this cold?

I just had it for the first time last summer and it was great!

Is this similar to the tofu/egg they sell at the supermarket?

you mean the tamago-dofu?

like this:

http://www.bob-an.com/recipe/dailyjc/ref/t...ofu/tgtofu.html

this is normally served cold and though I ahve never made it at the home the supermarket versions tend to be more jello like then the smooth chawan mushi.

Other then the chawan mushi containing other ingredients, there are very similar.

By the way, here is a link to the chawanmushi thread on eGullet.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'm surprised how small the mushimono category is in Japan, seeing as it's such a simple and healthy way to cook. Other than chawan-mushi, the only things I can think of are 'sekihan' (steamed mochi rice with red beans) and other kinds of 'okowa' (steamed mochi rice with flavourings and seasonal ingredients).

And of course the great steamed potatoes topped with butter, sold as 'jaga-bata' at yatai. One of my favourite yatai snacks. I do a version at home called 'miso-jaga-bata'- steam a few potatoes (any starchy kind) till soft in the middle, cut in half and spread with a thin layer of miso (any kind of miso works well, we use a chunky country-style), broil briefly in the oven toaster, then top with a pat of butter.

(We actually saw this on TV being touted by Mino Monta as a health food perfect for, well, I don't remember exactly. Thining the blood? Improving liver function? I can't remember, but that doesn't stop me from eating it!)

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

A friend of mine prepared dinner for me last night, and made a simple side dish of shimeji and shiitake mushrooms steamed in sake. Just rolled up in a foil packet and stuck on the burner. It was good with a splash of ponzu.

I do a similar thing to smallworld's miso-jaga-bata, but I usually do them in a frypan on the stove.

A friend of mine prepared dinner for me last night, and made a simple side dish of shimeji and shiitake mushrooms steamed in sake. Just rolled up in a foil packet and stuck on the burner. It was good with a splash of ponzu.

I do a similar thing to smallworld's miso-jaga-bata, but I usually do them in a frypan on the stove.

Did she put a little butter into it?

If you put butter in it, you don't need the ponzu at the end...

Did she put a little butter into it?

If you put butter in it, you don't need the ponzu at the end...

No butter I think. I actually liked the lightness the ponzu gave to the mushrooms, and it was accompanied by other heavier foods so it didn't really need butter. The prominent sake taste was really nice, too.

I sometimes do foil-yaki with mushrooms, butter and shoyu.

I too love foil-yaki (I wonder why they call it yaki when it is actually steaming?)

I do it with mushrooms and/or fish and/or onion/leeks almost always with sake sometimes with a little butter sometimes with a little ponzu sometimes with a little kochujang sauce, etc etc