• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Snooty Fox

I have been following this story in Private Eye for the last month, and even managed to get permission from the Eye to reproduce their articles here, but due to time restrants, i have failed to do so.No matter, for now the whole case is online at the defendants own website

Free The Lowick One

I have no connection with Mr Monks, but i was 2nd chef at this pub in the late 80s, well before all this took place.

• 1 month later...

Quick update from this weeks Eye.

On December 5th ,Mr Monks had a heart attack whilst awaiting transfer to prison He was taken to Kettering General Hospital, where a police guard was posted at the end of his bed.After 2 days this was removed.The Prison Service would not provide staff , so technically, Mr Monks was " unlawfully at large".He had an extra 3 days added to his sentence.His release date is June 5th

• 2 months later...

A judge has ruled that the East Northants District Council was guilty of "an abuse of process" in bringing the cases against Mr Monks.He stayed proceedings in 2 pending cases and ordered the councill to pay Mr Monks costs.

All good news...and then 8 days after this judgment, Enviromental Officers again visited the Snooty Fox, but left after finding out Mr Monks was not there.The next day, Trading Standards Officers paid a visit...and found nothing amiss.

All this from this weeks Private Eye, under the title " For Fox Sake"