• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cape may

suzilightning

we're scheduled for the annual pilgrimage to the crest may 13-18 and, since i'm not getting to the pig out i want to take the husband out for a nice meal on our anniversary(15th).

i will NOT go back to the lobster house except for take away - john has gotten better at eating a wide variety of things so - any suggestions? i checked that other dining forum as well as ardore's site. maybe the old top of the marq or ebbit room

many thanks - as usual

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Martini Beach - above Cabana's and across from the Marquis de Lafayette Hotel @Beach Drive and Decatur. 609-884-1925. Great cocktails and great food. I work down there over the summers, playing sommeliere. They just redecorated and the place is looking lovely. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Mad Batter on Jackson Street is one of the most interesting places in a good restaurant town; Very imaginative food, ever-changing menu. Purportedly the owner takes several staff members to other parts of the world on semi-annual trips to gain knowledge and creativity in their menu.

Mad Batter

19 Jackson Street

609-884-5970

I am down there most weekends . Mad Batter had been , in my opinion, on the decline over the past two years, however, I ate there two weeks ago, the first sunny Sunday they opened the porch, and the food and service were excellent. They finally learned what fresh juice is. I had a delicious carrot - orange juice and a delicious breakfast burrito. Coffee was great , too. Go now before the summer lines start forming. It might be too late.

My favorite dinner place is The Blue Claw. Most of the restaurants mentioned are excellent. Blue Claw has great service, a cool , yet un-pretentious view, and very friendy staff. I also like Maureen's in Wildwood but she might not have opened yet.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

• 4 weeks later...

well, we're back and got out two nights...

friday, with the rain pouring down and having gone for a 'stroll' on the beach,

we decided to stay local and snagged reservations at Marie Nicole's in Wildwood Crest. beautifully decorated with a warm, rich decor there are two dining rooms and, when you first walk in a bar area - which can be a bit tricky since people tend to bottle neck. besides the wine list that was offered to my husband :angry: with bottles ranging from 25-150 there was a special board at the bar listing that night's wines by the glass. appetizers ranged 8-12, salads which were a la carte 5-8, entrees19-35 and desserts around 8. as to be expected there was a strong emphasis on fish and seafood. specials were recited without prices.

john started off with a whiskey sour and fresh bread was broght to the table. that night you had a choice of an individual french loaf or individual olive bread and these puppies were HOT as in just out of the oven. the bread boy accomodated husband's request for olive oil very graciously.

appetizers were crabcakes - two small ones with a spicy sauce, gaufrette potatoes, served with watercress and duck rolls which were crisp and filled with jullienned vegetables and shredded duck served with a spiced duck sauce. john had the house salad of mixed greeens with lardons of bacon and sunflower seeds, i had the beet salad which was the house greens with walnuts, crumbled blue cheese and 4 1/2 slices of beet. entrees were a miso glazed halibut with jasmine rice and stir fried vegetables and a grilled bourbon brined pork chop with mashed sweet potato, greens and an apple/sultana chutney(usually this is served with a grilled peach chutney but the peaches weren't in yet). dessert for john was a glass of port

we had enough that breakfast the next morning for each of us was half our entrees. the seafood was exquisitly fresh and the chop was grilled to medium as requested. total bill 118 plus tip

saturday we hit up Matini Beach - just in it's second season of operation. we both loved the concept and the food of this place. ever go to a restaurant and have the appetizers appeal to you more than anything on the menu? i do - a lot!! here most everything come in tasting(3-4 pieces of the dish) or sharing(double that) sizes. you can order one sharing or several tasting sizes. we started out with a cosmo and bubblin' o martini(stoli o, champagne and fresh squeezed oj) - really well made. the amuse was grilled pita and a dish of olive oil with balsamic vinegar. unfortunately the oil was so viscous you couldn't get to the vinegar easily.

we went for tasting plates and tried:grilled sweet and sour shrimp with andouille sausage, duck spring rolls with huckleberry sauce(john actually preferred this sauce to the one at Marie Nicole's), coconut shrimp, lobster avacado crostini with lime vinaigrette (all i can say about this one is WOW great taste and texture),thai beef salad with asian slaw and a grilled salmon with a chantilly sauce and a potato side. because john explained that butter and cream do bother him the chef substituted a house vinaigrette for the chantilly and more asian slaw since the potatoes had both butter and cream in it. dessert was a glass of bele casel prosecco and another cosmo. total - 115 plus tip

we both loved the grazing/tasting aspect and can't wait for next year's trip - this place is definitly on the list to visit. :wub:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Sounds like you had a great time, despite the less than stellar weather.

Matini Beach sounds interesting, thanks for the report.

We have a house in Avalon, and usually get into Cape May a few times each year. I heard aobut this place last year ( I think from egullet or CH?) but will certainly add it to my list of places for this year. Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

We spent last weekend in Cape May and had dinner at the mad Batter. I had the figs and gorgonzola cheese wrapped in prosuitto for an appe. and the grouper as an entree. Both were excellent!

Edited by shugga (log)

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde