• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starbucks Buying Seattle's Best Coffee

nightscotsman

Not suprising. They did the same thing in London with that chain whose name I can no longer remember. If Teaism is smart about it, I bet they can build themselves into a the next acquisition target within a few years.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I wonder if they have Tully's in their sights...not that Tully's would likely sell to them.

Ben

Tully's is more likely to fold than to be bought out. SBC has decent business plans and it's making money whereas Tully's is bleeding like a sieve.

It will be interesting to see if they completely assimilate SBC or if they keep the brand name. Of the major coffee companies, SBC's product has always been my favorite. Ironically, it has become difficult to find here in Seattle, but I see it in other cities pretty regularly. Overall I think this is really unfortunate.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

SBC was started by former Starbuck's employees. They have returned to the fold because they are profitable and because Starbucks obviously made an offer that couldn't be refused. This is not the first time Starbucks has attempted to acquire SBC. Previous attempts were not successful.

Darren--the Seattle Coffee Company? Here's the take of a blogger on the scene in the UK:

http://michaeljennings.blogspot.com/2002_0...e.html#78696337

http://michaeljennings.blogspot.com/2002_1...e.html#83371448

Thanks also to Virginia Postrel on this issue:

http://www.dynamist.com/weblog/

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

SBC was started by former Starbuck's employees.  They have returned to the fold because they are profitable and because Starbucks obviously made an offer that couldn't be refused.  This is not the first time Starbucks has attempted to acquire SBC.  Previous attempts were not successful.

According to timlines published in today's Seattle Times, SBC was founded before Starbuck's, so perhaps you are thinking of a different firm. Undoubtedly there are former Starbucks employees who work for SBC. The Times article also said that there are no immediate plans for the SBC or Torrefazione brands to be eliminated.

SBC Timeline (pdf)

Starbucks Timeline (pdf)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

SBC was started by former Starbuck's employees.  They have returned to the fold because they are profitable and because Starbucks obviously made an offer that couldn't be refused.  This is not the first time Starbucks has attempted to acquire SBC.  Previous attempts were not successful.

According to timlines published in today's Seattle Times, SBC was founded before Starbuck's, so perhaps you are thinking of a different firm. Undoubtedly there are former Starbucks employees who work for SBC. The Times article also said that there are no immediate plans for the SBC or Torrefazione brands to be eliminated.

SBC Timeline (pdf)

Starbucks Timeline (pdf)

Tighe - I see where I went wrong - many apologies Seattle. It pays to do a little double-checking prior to posting :sad: Thanks for the additional info.

One of SBC's strategies is/was to allow Starbucks to invest in educating consumers about specialty and gourmet coffee in various markets, then move in and set up shop and benefit from already informed consumers. This was most certainly the case in Chicago. In the process of opening stores SBC courted Starbucks employees for regional upper management positions (right, I've got it now).

Edited by Aurora (log)