• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lunch for 12 in no. jersey

joi h.

looking for suggestions for a place to bring the family for lunch after a graduation cermony. there will be aprox. 12 of us and depending where we travel to, it should be around noon. any suggestions for places between continental arena and montlcair?

Park & Orchard in East Rutherford, 5 min from Continental Arena. Check on the lunch arrangements

Several folks have spoken well of Village Gourmet and Matisse in Rutherford, I have not been there.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I second Park and Orchard - should be very accomadating for that type of lunch. Romanissimo in Carlstadt right off of Rte. 17 is rather decent Italian as well. Also Terrazza in Nutley as lunch may be the only time you could catch the place somewhat quiet.

A.D.S.

Romanissimo is not very good. Much better than both Park and Orchard and Romanissimo is the Sonoma Grill. It is across the street from Romanissimo and very near the Arena, good wine list.

Village Gourmet has a good reputation in Rutherford, I believe BYO. I think personally that Matisse is a big rip off.

Montclair I would try the Chelsea Grill, BYO.

All the places noted by Rosie are out of the area you asked for, but of the bunch I would say the Manor is your best bet in terms of price to quality to location.

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

there is a very nice Spanish Rest. called Sergovia. It is on Monachie Ave. in Carlstadt. They even have rooms that would accomodate 12 people. This way your party would be private.Have fun whereever you decide. :smile:

Rosie

Thanks for the Park and Orchard comment. Beyond the wine list, I just do not get this place. Food seems to be glopped together. The high school cafeteria comment is so apt.

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Rosie

Thanks for the Park and Orchard comment.  Beyond the wine list, I just do not get this place.  Food seems to be glopped together.  The high school cafeteria comment is so apt.

I've had several fine meals at the P&O and one or two that weren't OK.

For the question that was asked, I believe my answer was both appropriate and suitable.

de gustibus non disputandum esse

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Rosie

Thanks for the Park and Orchard comment.  Beyond the wine list, I just do not get this place.  Food seems to be glopped together.  The high school cafeteria comment is so apt.

Please let us know where you like to dine in NJ.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie

For the question that was asked, I believe my answer was both appropriate and suitable.

Rail Paul---I HEAR YOU. But this is a graduation dinner. Where would you go??

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie

but honestly, the place really isn't very good. :biggrin:

P & O wasn't my favorite by any means but it certainly wasn't poor. I ate at Matisse before a Devils game recently and it was good not great. The area isn't one that I'm too up on. Manor was good when they had the seafood buffet and that was for about 3 visits, the 1st good, the 2nd O.K., the 3rd lousy.

I recommend the Crow's Nest on Rt 17S a couple miles North of the Arena. The food is good (not gourmet), the price reasonable and they have the room and staff to handle 12.

Edited by jdetal (log)

Try Casa Di Amici in denville it is onl 15 minutes from montclair and I assure you you will not be dissapointed.

Would this estimate be via helicopter? It may be 15 miles but when you consider Routes 3,46 and 80 this is much longer than 15 minutes...trust me I work 5 minutes from the restaurant and wish you were correct... :smile:

A.D.S.

Just so that there is no confusion.

Sonoma Grill is a few minutes away from the Meadowlands. Serves lunch. Has a back area that can be private. The food is excellent. Not a BYO. Run by two brothers that know how to run a restaurant.

Address and phone from Zagats is

64 Hoboken Road, East Rutherford. 201-507-8989

It would be my first choice in the meadowlands area.