• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: NYC Vegetarian Dining

joler

I am not a vegetarian, but I am very interested in vegetarian cuisine and am always looking for unique preparations. I am going to be in NY in a few weeks and am interested if there are any restaurants you can recommend. I've read mixed reviews of Angelica Kitchen...is it worth bothering with?

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

I've read mixed reviews of Angelica Kitchen...is it worth bothering with?

Not if you have the choice.

In my opinion, the two vegetarian restaurants that are worth bothering with if you're not a vegetarian are Hangawi (12 E. 32nd St., 212-213-0077) and Dimple (11 W. 30th St., 212-643-9464). Hangawi is a Korean buddhist vegetarian restaurant, and Dimple is Indian (and kosher). There are a few other vegetarian Indian places, including one that was just written up in this week's New York Magazine, but I don't have the experience to recommend any of them specifically.

Also, a few of New York's top fine-dining restaurants have vegetarian tasting menus, if you're interested in that.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

For something affordable try ZEN PALETTE in Union Square I can't get 'nuff of their veggie sandwich and yam fries (w. duck sauce on the side) - for $5!

Re: Angelica Kitchen --- I found their meals lacking in taste and a tad spendy. You're better off heading to Country Cafe for their delicious vegetable tagine.

Edited by DavidJS (log)

An restaurant worth it's salt (kosher,rock or sea) :biggrin: will have a few vegetarian entrees. to satisfy the dietric needs or religious observances of its patrons.

Having said that, you are safer going to South Indian restaurants; they will ensure that no animal fat was used in frying any of there vegetarian dishes. The few macro-biotic restaurants below 56th St. are to be avoided as non-flavourful and bland. Steven Shaw has covered the specifics quite nicely.

Edited by anil (log)

anil

Haven't been to Herban Kitchen in lower Manhattan for a good two years - but i used to really enjoy it. The chef/owner trained at the Natural Gourmet Cookery School (i don't recall what the new name is) and did great stuff with veggie & non-veggie dishes - even vegan fare. Her ingredients are organic (even the wine list); portions were plentiful; and the staff was very friendly.

I've taken many friends to Madras Cafe (2 Av. between 4th and 5th), and no-one has been dissatisfied. I've been a regular almost ever since it opened, and I'm not a vegetarian.

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks, these all sound like great suggestions. I am not limiting myself to vegetarian, in fact, I am putting together a list of options from several of the threads on this site. It's a shame I'll only be in the city for 2 days...so much to eat!

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

• 9 months later...

does anyone know of a fabulous new york restaurant, preferably in the grammercy park area, or east village, though further afield is fine, that serves a marvelous dazzling menu, full of utterly delightful surprises and sensual thrills, that would also have enough food of this nature to make up a vegetarian menu?

my daughter and her boyfriend want to celebrate anniversary, and he is a vegetarian. i know, i know, i've tried cooking bacon and roasting a chicken in his presence but it hasn't worked. now i just want to find a place to dazzle the kids.

daughter is a cheese fanatic, loves truffles, they both love vegetables and pastas and whatever is unusual and spectacular. daughter has a perpetual hankering for good clam chowder, too, and i thought about mix, but i think we want something a bit more........well i haven't been to mix. so i don't know.

i want to arrange ahead of time as best as i can, too, so that they are treated with great care and attention. you know, isn't it wonderful to go to a restaurant and feel important? I love it, and love arranging it for others when i can.......

thanks,

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Pretty close to Gramercy Park in the East Village is Counter, a place I have not been to but have heard great things about; looks and feels like a regular restaurant, very pretty, no "juice bar" or "granola" type of environment that typifies a veggie place. Heard that the food is creative enough to please carnivores as well.

Perhaps someone who has been here can add more info.

Counter

105 First Ave. (bet. 6th & 7th Sts.) New York, NY, 10003

(212) 982-5870

Both Gramercy Tavern and Tabla have amazing vegetarian tasting menus. The last time I was at Tabla, I had the regular tasting menu and my friends had the vegetarian one and I think course for course theirs was better. Both places are market-oriented. Eleven Madison Park may be the same way, but I've never been there.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

A vegan friend of mine speaks with fond rememberance of the accomodations that Gray Kunz made for him at Lespinasse. Now that Cafe Gray is an option, I'd bet the kitchen would be similarly flexible.

Another chef well remembered by this same friend is Alan Harding... don't know what has befallen him other than Schnaaack in Blkyn.

Hangawi is fancy, all veggie, and very very tasty.

Or... call the high-end spot of your preference a few days in advance and ask if they could accommodate a veggie... maybe talk through dishes or preparations that would be particularly pleasing to the particular veggie in question.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I've been a vegetarian for four years and actually find it's uncommon these days to go to a restaurant and see nothing at all on the menu that I can eat, though these days I can't afford high-end restaurants in any case. When I worked in the Flatiron building and had an expense account, Tamarind was a favorite, though the chef who was there then now works at Amma. It was still pretty good the last time I was there.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

And actually, now that I think of it and am ignoring geography :laugh: Daniel has a vegetarian tasting menu, though I think they only do it for the entire table. Never had it, but I'd imagine it would be pretty brilliant.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

marlena spieler-

What a great mother/mother of girlfriend you are. I think it is very nice of you to go to such lenghts; you must really like him. I would second Tabla and Amma, although not right in the Gramercy area Artisinal could work too (for the cheese lover). As well, Veritas did a beautiful veg menu for my wife a few months ago and she loved it.

>a marvelous dazzling menu, full of utterly delightful surprises and sensual thrills...

You would be close to Patria on Park and 21 (I think its 21, I never remember the cross street...). It would certainly cover the above requirements.

Does he eat fish? As a fish and vegetables guy i adored Patria. I bet they have a straight vegetarian option also...Worth giving a call to.

Hangawi is fancy, all veggie, and very very tasty.

Not to mention bland. :unsure:

Click here for a review of Hangawi.

Soba

I second the bland tag. But it's a nice place otherwise.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

I dunno about the blanket judgment of bland. I was quite mushroom-centric when there and the mushrooms were really quite tasty. Nothing was fiery-kimchee-sets-the-tastebuds-ablaze flavorful there, but I rather enjoyed it. Some of the pancakes and porriges did semm a bit flavor lacking from the tastes of others' I sampled... but some of it was really good. Some root or other I'd never heard of (I think todok, but am uncertain) was a particular standout good dish.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

does anyone know of a fabulous new york restaurant, preferably in the grammercy park area, or east village, though further afield is fine, that serves a marvelous dazzling menu, full of utterly delightful surprises and sensual thrills, that would also have enough food of this nature to make up a vegetarian menu?

Ok, so it is admittedly not in Grammercy Park OR the East Village at all... but based on a recommendation by a veggie friend, I took several friends to ZEN PALATE. I dined at the (I believe original) location at 9th and 46th around Hell's Kitchen, though I now see there are 4 locations, including one at Union Square.

At any rate, 1 of my 3 friends was a vegetarian... but we all had a phenomenal and inventive meal from their entirely veggie menu. Look at it as an adventure for all of you to explore veggie cuisine!! This way, instead of him feeling like he has to settle for a veggie option and be restricted, the two of YOU can indulge his lifestyle and give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Though it doesn't carry the price tag of some of the other suggestions I've read, the ambience is beautiful, serene, and.. well... zen. :raz:

In fact, I'm heading to NYC this weekend for an interview, and fully intend on introducing another friend to the Zen Palate.

Edited by happyhovs (log)

ZEN PALATE

Interesting food and pretty tasty but no alcoholic beverages (i.e. wine) if that matters to you.

:smile:

Jamie

P.S. Welcome to eGullet!

Edited by picaman (log)

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Bouley will also do a vegetarian tasting menu. The policy is, the whole table has to order the tasting menu, but if only 1 person is vegetarian, they will do veggie for just that person.

My friend got it and said it was amazing.