• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Let's play Ready Steady Cook

Charlene Leonard

In the UK there is a cookery programme called Ready Steady Cook BBC Ready Steady Cook where 2 contestants bring in a bag of ingredients and the 2 chefs have to cook something for them in 20mins. The budget is £5 ($8) but they also do gourmet bags. The programme is pretty dire but I like the concept. This is in a similar vein to Mamster's Mystery Basket except we don't really have to cook the recipes and hopefully others will suggest bags and I am doing it purely from a selfish point of view, in that I really don't have the skill to participate in this thread but am really interested in what others come up with. This is what I would take on the show (yes, I really am that sad to have thought about it!). I've guessed how much each item would cost.

Ingredients (Approx.cost)

Tin of tomatoes (40p)

Piece of Pancetta (£1.00)

Potato (30p)

Morel Mushrooms (£1.50)

Chicken leg (£1.50)

Total £4.70

From what I can tell they have these ingredients already;

In the fridge

Dairy products - milk, cream, butter, eggs

Fresh herbs

Lemon and limes

Garlic

In the cupboard

Dried herbs and spices

Stock cubes

Bread

Flour

Sugar

Red and white wine

Anyone want to participate?

hmm...

Bone and stuff the chicken leg with some of the morels, pancetta, bread, herbs; roast off; deglaze pan;

edit: Adam got there first.

Potato: Dauphinoise with garlic, and the rest of the morels

Salad from the fresh herbs

Tomato: Iced soup, with mint foam and garlic croutons (the weather is warm today)

Are the morels fresh or dried? If dried use with the soaking water as a base for a sauce.

A morel souffle might be an alternative

Edited by jackal10 (log)

I'm with Adam.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

They do a similar program in the US called Ready, Set, Cook. Just as dire.

I like Jackal's menu but fail to see how it could be completed in the time allowed - I mean, Dauphinoise start to finish in 20 minutes?

In the UK there is a cookery programme called Ready Steady Cook BBC Ready Steady Cook where 2 contestants bring in a bag of ingredients and the 2 chefs have to cook something for them in 20mins. 

Don't tell Rachael Ray or FTV about this.

Wait, isn't there already a show like this that used actual chefs who cooked a meal in 20 minutes (not 30!) already on?

Wait, isn't there already a show like this that used actual chefs who cooked a meal in 20 minutes (not 30!) already on?

This is only a short thread (so far) but I think you'll find the answers to your questions are already in it.

I like Jackal's menu but fail to see how it could be completed in the time allowed - I mean, Dauphinoise start to finish in 20 minutes?

Slice the potato thinly on the mandoline.

Boil in the milk, with seasonings, bay leaf, garlic until the potato is almost cooked. Add Morels

Pour into shallow dish, nuke under hot grill or in extremis blowtorch.

Slice the potato thinly on the mandoline.

Boil in the milk, with seasonings, bay leaf, garlic until the potato is almost cooked. Add Morels

Pour into shallow dish, nuke under hot grill or in extremis blowtorch.

That would work, I'm impressed :smile:

This is only a short thread (so far) but I think you'll find the answers to your questions are already in it.

Sorry, what were the times FTV aired that again?