• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Skipping Breakfast?

awbrig

I'm always on the lookout for new and interesting breakfast items, and this larb of wich you speak has got to be delicious,with such an appealing name.Would you be so kind as to fill me in? Or perhaps provide a link to a thread. Thank you, Snowangel.

I'm always on the lookout for new and interesting breakfast items, and this larb of wich you speak has got to be delicious,with such an appealing name.Would you be so kind as to fill me in? Or perhaps provide a link to a thread. Thank you, Snowangel.

larb:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...t=12302&hl=larb

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Larb, larb, larb

While not traditional for breakfast (at least in Minnesota :biggrin: ), here is a ton of info on larb. You'll note I'm not the only one with a passion for the stuff.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

It is not that I don't want to eat in the morning, it is that I don't like breakfast foods. I would rather have 'lunch' type meals for breakfast. Soup and a sandwich, or last nights leftovers.

With oatmeal I have to have so much brown sugar on it that it's not worth it.

Don't like cold cereal.

Eggs are for the weekend

I do have to eat in the morning, but not 'breakfast'.

In Jamaica, I ate chicken and bananas for breakfast a few times, and it was great.

Hmm.  Why DON'T we eat typical "dinner" foods in the morning?  I think tajanna is doing it right.

my husband and kids like "non-typical" breakfast foods, curry rice, beef stew, chili, etc.

I just can't handle anything heavy in the morning.

Give me a slice of toast or a bowl of natto and I am happy! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Brief further investigation tells me that bombarding the pancreas with sugar (including alcohol) provokes it to produce excessive insulin, thus metabolizing blood sugar extra fast, and actually pushing blood sugar way down.  I can see how this works with alcohol, so it makes sense with big meals too.  Your body overreacts, metabolizes the hell out of your dinner, and leaves you hungry for breakfast.  My lack of medical training doesn't prevent me from seeing a link to diabetes somewhere here.

You're right on target, Wilfrid! :cool:

Diabetics (like me) should not drink alcohol for just this reason. Low blood sugar can induce tremors, profuse sweating, and cause a diabetic to pass out.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Is it still considered breakfast if you don't eat it until 10:30 AM?

I'm in the "not breakfast" camp. I do have coffee -- preferably strong & sweet -- in fact, preferably an iced Mochaccino -- preferably downed whilst on the subway commuting to work, which starts damned early for me (7:45 AM, though I'm always late). And always iced, no matter if it's snowing!

I then get super-busy and forget about breakfast until I realize that I'm ravenous, about 10:30 AM.

I'm highly selective about my Mochaccino habit though. Anyone wanna talk about that? I haven't seen a "perfect iced mocha" thread yet. Though it's not yet summertime.

I never eat breakfast when I'm home or working in the area. I always have it when I'm on the road, either working or on vacation. Why? I have no idea, other than I don't even think about it home and absolutely crave it on the road.

Porkpa

I never eat breakfast when I'm home or working in the area. I always have it when I'm on the road, either working or on vacation. Why? I have no idea, other than I don't even think about it home and absolutely crave it on the road.

Porkpa

Maybe you eat bigger dinners on the road, thus increasing your appetite for a hearty breakfast.