• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
awbrig

Skipping Breakfast?

63 posts in this topic

During the week I always skip breakfast. I just dont have the appetite for it and am not hungry, at all. On the weekends, however, I am hungry for breakfast...

Is breakfast still the most imortant meal of the day or this a myth?

Edited by awbrig (log)

sure is a myth in my life. no breakfast on weekdays here. unless a strong cuppa joe counts.

weekends, eat breaksfast like foods at lunch like times.

When I'm working, I'm exactly the opposite - I have to have breakfast on weekdays and can easily skip it on the weekends.

Breakfast every day. I get headaches if I don't eat. Also, if I'm taking a vitamin, I'll get violently ill if I don't eat.

It's not a myth at all, but for nutritional reasons. The only way to keep your metabolism working is to keep eating. Since your body has taken a break from eating while you are sleeping, you "should" eat when you get up. Helps keep the system in tune.

Me personally, I'm lucky if I eat at 5pm for the first time. If not, I eat dinner at midnight when I get home from work.

Breakfast would not be a "first thing in the a.m. upon arising" thing in our house. Probably stems from the days when I worked outside the home and the kids got breakfast at day care or at school.

I love breakfast. But not until I've been up for a couple of hours. Same with the kids.

If I don't eat breakfast, I have munchies all day long, even if I eat a decent lunch. If I eat breakfast, I eat far healthier throughout the rest of the day.

Our favorite breakfast is eggs and toast (bread, English muffins, bagels). Eggs poached, scrambled, over easy, whatever. Or oatmeal; steel cut; with 1/2 and 1/2 or cream. Or blueberry pancakes (wild blueberries hand picked and frozen; we pick every late July/early August in far northern MN on recently logged granite hills). Always fruit as a side.

Cold cereral is not in our vocabulary. I think it's in aisle 12 at Cub, and I can't recall the last time I trod down that aisle.

Edited by snowangel (log)

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I am like snowangel,

If I don't eat breakfast I find I am hungrier through out the day.

I can't eat anything heavy, normally just some bread and fruit and BIG glass of iced coffee! :biggrin:

Occasionally I will forget :blink: to eat breakfast(like today) and then am ravenous at lunch, had a big mac, large fries, large iced tea and am still hungry!

<p><strong>Kristin Wagner</strong>, aka "torakris"

Manager, Membership

<a class="bbc_email" href="mailto:kwagner@egstaff.org" title="E-mail Link">kwagner@egstaff.org</a></p>

I eat breakfast about half the time. I'm not even sure my hunger dictates whether or not I eat it. I think it has to do more with my level of laziness. :unsure:

If I do eat breakfast on a weekday, it is usually something light and "healthy" that apparently will give me some energy for the morning. This usually consists of a big glass of fresh orange juice, maybe a couple boiled eggs and a slice of toast. A bagel with peanut butter is rare, but happens. I don't like eating baked goods in the morning (muffins, pastries, etc..).

We do have "special" breakfasts sometimes as well (usually on the weekend) where we'll go do omelettes/pancakes/french toast/other labor-intensive morning meals.

Shamefully, I do enjoy an Egg McMuffin™ if I can get one.

When I go through periods where I skip breakfast regularly I find that I gain weight. I think its because I eat more at lunch and my body stores those calories as fat because I have not eaten anything in 18 hours. When I do eat breakfast each day I generally lose 10 lbs. or so over the course of a few weeks, even if I am not working out regularly.

Of course, I am not talking about some full-blown meal, but some toast with preserves, a bagel, or some cereal.

Does coffee count as breakfast?

Marlene

cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

during the week, if i don't have breakfast, i'm super hungry by noon. and i hate being super hungry. breakfast during the week is just a box of dry cheerios and a coffee. although, if any hangovers are introduce to the equation, a sausage mcmuffin with egg is thrown in.

on the weekends, i don't generally eat breakfast. i suppose the difference is that i'm up at 6.30 during the week, and 9.30 on the weekends, so i can easy wait til lunch on the weekend.

that was very cathartic. thank you all.

When I go through periods where I skip breakfast regularly I find that I gain weight.  I think its because I eat more at lunch and my body stores those calories as fat because I have not eaten anything in 18 hours.  When I do eat breakfast each day I generally lose 10 lbs. or so over the course of a few weeks, even if I am not working out regularly.

Weight-loss diets often tell you not to skip breakfast for just that reason. Sounds a bit paradoxical but it's true.

When I go through periods where I skip breakfast regularly I find that I gain weight.  I think its because I eat more at lunch and my body stores those calories as fat because I have not eaten anything in 18 hours.  When I do eat breakfast each day I generally lose 10 lbs. or so over the course of a few weeks, even if I am not working out regularly. 

Of course, I am not talking about some full-blown meal, but some toast with preserves, a bagel, or some cereal.

I have generally found this to be true also. It's one of the basic tenets of Weight Watchers. I never ate breakfast and sometimes not even lunch until I joined. However, I still have to force myself to eat in the morning. It just doesn't come naturally to me. :hmmm:

Marlene

cookskorner

My theory is that people who aren't hungry for breakfast have eaten plenty of calories the night before.

While I NEVER skip breakfast, I tend to be much more hungry for it on days when I haven't had a big dinner. I just makes sense.

I don't necessarily believe there's anything wrong with skipping breakfast if you've eaten a big dinner the night before and you're not hungry when you wake up. So you eat at 11:30 rather than 8:00. Big deal.

If you were to eat a big evening meal, skip breakfast and eat lunch at 3:00 or even skip it, you might throw your body into some feast of famine mode and slow down your metabolism, but skipping breakfast and eating an early lunch shouldn't cause problems.

My theory is that people who aren't hungry for breakfast have eaten plenty of calories the night before.

while the logic seems obvious, i'm thinking it might have more to do with the intake of carbs and protein the night before. then again, i'm also thinking that it doesn't work this way anyway (going back to the apparent paradox of every diet suggesting 3 meals a day rather than 2).

Edited by tommy (log)

While I NEVER skip breakfast, I tend to be much more hungry for it on days when I haven't had a big dinner.  I just makes sense. 

I don't necessarily believe there's anything wrong with skipping breakfast if you've eaten a big dinner the night before and you're not hungry when you wake up.  So you eat at 11:30 rather than 8:00.  Big deal. 

If you were to eat a big evening meal, skip breakfast and eat lunch at 3:00 or even skip it, you might throw your body into some feast of famine mode and slow down your metabolism, but skipping breakfast and eating an early lunch shouldn't cause problems.

The basic theory seems to be that your metabolism goes to "sleep" at night just as you are sleeping. In order to "wake it up" and get it working, it needs to be fed. Otherwise, it thinks it's not going to get any food and starts storing calories (those that you ate the night before) as fat.

I don't know why, but this works. I can only say that once I started eating breakfast or at least something in the morning, I started to lose weight steadily. I also notice, when I don't eat breakfast, no matter how much I work out, I tend to gain weight, or at least can't lose it. Speaking of which, I'm off to the gym. After having breakfast of course :smile:

Marlene

cookskorner

I have lost 120 pounds on Weight Watchers over the last year and a half (not easy when you love good food as we all do).

Eating as little as an apple (along with a small vat of water) in the car on the way to work contributed to that.

Of course, I have hit a bit of a lull in my weight loss in the last few months, coinciding (?) with my discovery of e-Gullet.

Its all your fault.

Bill Russell

I have lost 120 pounds on Weight Watchers over the last year and a half (not easy when you love good food as we all do). 

Eating as little as an apple (along with a small vat of water) in the car on the way to work contributed to that.

Of course, I have hit a bit of a lull in my weight loss in the last few months, coinciding (?) with my discovery of e-Gullet. 

Its all your fault.

Of course not! you've just hit the famous plateau. You go! WW did it for me. I've been lifetime for 6 years now. The water is crucial :biggrin:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

cookskorner

I get the shakes by 9:00 am if I dont eat breakfast.

Are you diabetic? Low blood sugar can cause the shakes.

You might want to see a doctor about this...

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

No, I am pretty sure I am not diabetic. I just sort of get kinda shaky if I dont eat for a while. I am sure it is because of a drop in blood sugar, but not a result of eating sugar.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Shouldn't it just be a function of how many calories you take in versus how many you burn? Does not matter *when* you take them?

For example if I take a packed lunch to work, what I eat for lunch typically does not change whether I eat breakfast or not - on some days I'm just hungrier for it and my stomach rumbles in meetings ... but that is a different issue.

I understand what WW is saying - they're talking about creating most-likely-to-succeed eating habits, but medically it makes no difference, right?

No, I am pretty sure I am not diabetic.  I just sort of get kinda shaky if I dont eat for a while.  I am sure it is because of a drop in blood sugar, but not a result of eating sugar.

Ben

Obviously, Ben, you're an alcoholic. :raz:

I only eat breakfast if:

1. It's the weekend and Fritz is making it. In which case, it's more like brunch.

2. The Friday-night crowd wants to go to a restaurant on Saturday morning.

3. Someone forces me.

Unless coffee or Bloody Mary's (on the weekends) count as breakfast.

I usually don't eat lunch either. I'm just not hungry in the morning or early afternoon.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Mike.jj
      Hello Egullet family.. its good to be back on here, been away for a while, i hope to find some new trending recipes .. and be ready to get some African dish recipes for those who love African Dishes, You can Read and &nbsp;Download &nbsp;Mp3 Audios here of some Nigerian dishes, and there are more coming in which i would be placing on here.. Thanks
    • By Darienne
      My long-time Bullet gave up the ghost over the weekend and since we had a couple of free hours and were in the States...where the Walmarts are different from those in Canada...I went smoothie blender looking.

We found a suitable Hamilton Beach 'Go Sport' Blender and brought it home.  The specs looked good and the price was just fine.

HOWEVER...two major flaws in this blender which are worth noting.

1.  The blender bottle opening is quite narrow and I need a modified funnel to get my ingredients into it with ease.  Rats.  OK.  I can do this.

2.  And even worse.  This unit has NO protected blending blades.  That is, if you plug the unit in, put the cutting blades into the unit and turn the unit on and are being stupidly careless...as we have all been known to be...you can get your fingers cut to ribbons!!  (No, I did not do it.  Yet.)  Now, the directions do tell you THE safe way to use the blender...but they don't make any reference to the fact that you...OR MORE IMPORTANTLY, A CHILD...could massacre their fingers in this unit.  I was really surprised.  I can't recall the last electrical kitchen appliance which was so open to misuse and accident.  Almost all must have all the protective units in place before the blades will even work.   You'd have to do something truly unusual to hurt yourself using one.  (OK.  Go ahead.  Post all the exceptions to my statement.  )

I post this just in case. 
    • By Chelseabun
      Does anyone have a recipe for Fake Bacon please?

I have been vegetarian now for about 3 months.  So far it is going very well and I am looking to widen my range of recipes without meat.  I am not sure that going down the path of making imitation meets is the best approach but I do enjoy vegetarian soy based sausages and mince (ground beef) -  So perhaps an imitation bacon will be good too.

If you have any favourite recipes for fake bacon that you wish to share, that would be appreciated.

Regards
    • By bhsimon
      As far as I understand, noodles are a common breakfast dish throughout south-east Asia. Curry laksa, for example, is a breakfast noodle dish in Penang, Malaysia; commonly called curry mee by the locals. This is just one example I know of first hand, but I'm certain there are many others.

Do you know of other breakfast noodle dishes? Or books on the subject?

Keep in mind that I'm interested in noodle dishes specifically, not just any type of breakfast. I'll keep that broader topic for a different thread.
    • By Darienne
      Breakfast has become a problem at our house. We no longer get up at the same time and we no longer eat the same things every day for breakfast. So I have been searching for power/nutrition/energy/granola/health/power/etc bars to make for me to eat. DH doesn't eat them. Well, not at breakfast anyway.
      Recently a new cookbook, Power Hungry: The Ultimate Energy Bar Cookbook by Camilla V. Saulsbury has come out and I have started making a few of the bars in it. Some are excellent, some not wonderful, others way too sweet for me. The first section contains recipes for well-known "knock-offs". The only commercial bar we've tried is a Clif bar and both thought it was awful. I suspect that most of them are too sweet for our personal tastes. (To generalize wildly: Canadians are less addicted to sugar than Americans...more addicted to salt.)
      The book includes recipes for vegans and for folks who can't tolerate gluten. Lots of variations given with each recipe.
      I am proposing to go through the entire book of 30 recipes, making one after another, to find the ones which suit me. I'll report back on this. (Give me a purpose for surviving this horrible cold winter. ) Maybe someone else has the book, has tried some recipes, and is interested in this.
      Saulsbury also has a blog, http://powerhungry.com/ , in which she has posted some bars which are not in the book. I haven't figured out exactly which ones are repeated in the book yet.
      Should have added Europeans generally like less sugar than do Americans. Don't know about Aussies or other countries...