• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods--shirumono

torakris

Hiroyuki, thank you! Some of those photos in your link look just right.

Does ara refer only to fish trimmings, or trimmings from other foods as well?

And it is a very subtle dish, as you say. I am not surprised there is not additional non-salmon dashi.

Looking forward to making it, now that salmon season is here.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Hiroyuki, thank you!  Some of those photos in your link look just right. 

Does ara refer only to fish trimmings, or trimmings from other foods as well?

And it is a very subtle dish, as you say.  I am not surprised there is not additional non-salmon dashi.

Looking forward to making it, now that salmon season is here.

Ara refers to what is left of a fish after you fillet it, except innards, i.e., the head, fins, bones, etc.

I will post a recipe and a photo in an appropriate thread when I make ara jiru. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I made salmon clear soup for tonight's supper to celebrate my wife's coming home from hospital.

Salmon "ara". 98 yen (less than one dollar :raz: )

gallery_16375_4595_29638.jpg

Clear soup

gallery_16375_4595_96960.jpg

Recipe and comments later. Sorry, I'm drunk and I don't want to work hard...

I'm glad to hear that your wife is home, and hope the hangover tomorrow isn't too terrible.

Thanks, MomOfLittleFoodies, but 2 cans of 500-ml beer can never give me a hangover. :smile:

After browsing through tens of "ara jiru" recipes, I decided to do the following:

1 pack (200-300 g) ara

1/3 carrot

1/4 daikon

1/4 negi (Japanese scallion)

40 cm kombu

1600 ml water

30 ml sake

2 tsp salt

30 ml soy sauce (preferably light, but I used dark)

I was a little worried about the smell of the salmon ara, because I bought it on June 7 and kept it in the partial freezing compartment of the fridge. When I smelled it, however, I found it not so smelly as I had imagined. So, I skipped the first step (sprinkle salt and let stand). I just parboiled the ara for about 2 min. (Parboiling for a few seconds should be enough, though.)

Put water in a pot, add kombu, remove kombu immediately before the water comes to a boil.

Add sake, carrot,and daikon. Simmer for 5 min.

Add ara. Simmer for another 5-10 min.

Season with salt and soy sauce.

Add negi.

I didn't realize that the salmon ara was that of an aramaki jake (salted salmon) until I added 1 tsp salt and tasted the soup! :shock::sad: I didn't add another tsp, but added 30 ml soy sauce for flavoring. The resulting soup was rather salty, so I had to add another 600 ml water.

Anyway, the soup was quite tasty (although it was still a little salty), and all my family liked it.

The ara jiru is not the only dish that I prepared for last night's supper. I bought very expensive "maguro chuu toro" and other sashimi to celerate my wife's return.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

Good to hear your wife is out of the hospital, I bet the kids are excited! Does this mean a special feast (sushi?) tonight?

Unfortunately, no. No sushi tonight, but I want to prepare another special meal for my family on Saturday or Sunday.

For those of you who can read Japanese, here are links to websites that I referred to before making the clear soup:

http://www.kit.hi-ho.ne.jp/halchan/cooking/kasujiru.html

http://www.849net.com/cook/2006/08/post_46.html

http://www.gas.city.sendai.jp/cooking/cook_19/cook_19.html

http://www.kanahashi.co.jp/sake/sakemenu.html

The soup looks good to me. Occasionally I see fish scraps in one of our stores. I have never bought any because I question it's freshness. Next time I see it, I will check it out.

I was going to buy daikon when I was last in the store but they didn't have any.

I'm glad to see that your wife is recovering and your family can be all together again.