• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milk yet Again...

awbrig

Until the age of ~18 I drank whole, un-Pasteurised, un-homogenised milk, fresh from a dairy farm. My father would dip a 5 litre bucket into a vat of milk and this would keep me and my two brothers going for about three days.

It took me a long time to get use to the taste of milk in cartons/bottles, it tastes like fresh milk, like canned soup tastes like fresh soup. Skim milk and various permutations is filth. In the UK I use skimmed milk (2%), because my wife likes it.

I wish I had a cow, I miss real milk. :sad:

Until the age of ~18 I drank whole, un-Pasteurised, un-homogenised milk, fresh from a dairy farm. My father would dip a 5 litre bucket into a vat of milk and this would keep me and my two brothers going for about three days.

It took me a long time to get use to the taste of milk in cartons/bottles, it tastes like fresh milk, like canned soup tastes like fresh soup. Skim milk and various permutations is filth. In the UK I use skimmed milk (2%), because my wife likes it.

I wish I had a cow, I miss real milk. 

Wow! Do you now like the taste of bottled milk?

you guys are all a bunch of losers. :raz: I'm (mildly) lactose intolerant, so milk is out.

Edensoy milk (usually plain or carob flavored, with double calcium) is in it for me. I supplement this with plain yogurt and cheese, and dark green leafy veggies (for the calcium boost). Plain yogurt takes a while to get used to, but now I love it. I loathe sweetened yogurt of all kinds (altho Dannon still makes the best which I'll take in a pinch. I think Yoplait is the absolute worst.)

I too do the weight thing, but I'm starting on the low end of the scale, about twice to three times a week. I too have a fast metabolism, but I also like to eat throughout the day, about five to six meals throughout, frequently grazing. I haven't yet started on the protein shake thing, preferring to get all of my nutrient needs through regular food. I probably will eventually -- I am your typical ectomorph with a fast metabolism and a hard gainer. I went from 140 to my current weight of 149 over the past six months, me being a 32 year old male. (TMI, but oh well.)

Soba

I'm sort of the opposite of lactose-intolerant... my body absorbs milk like a sponge. I go through different cycles of milk consumption, but I'm currently in a phase where a gallon of milk lasts me about 2-3 days. There might be a bowl of cereal, some French toast, etc... coming out of that gallon, but the rest of it is just downed in big beautiful chilled glasses. I especially like to make chocolate milk and put it in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes before drinking it. It's just a habit I've picked up recently but I have to have at least one glass a day like that.

I can drink most any sort of milk (even skim) and enjoy it. Not sure about soy milk though... I tend to distrust "imitation" products. I went about two years ONLY drinking skim milk and found that I really didn't like the SkimPlus (Farmland Dairies) stuff. Sure, it had more protein (I was weight lifting at the time), but to me the taste was just too far "off".

When I was a kid, my parents always used to ration my milk consumption, because if they didn't I would drink it like water. I was only allowed ONE cup of milk in the morning to put in my cereal and that was it. Before they instituted the rationing, I would use two cups of milk in my cereal and often drink another two straight.

So yeah, to sum up... I love milk.

Plain yogurt takes a while to get used to, but now I love it.  I loathe sweetened yogurt of all kinds (altho Dannon still makes the best which I'll take in a pinch.  I think Yoplait is the absolute worst.)

Soba

Soba, If you like plain yougart, you might want to check out a product called kefir or kefir cheese (skip the flavored bottled ones you might see in the supermarket or the health food store) . Its available in most Arabic stores and blows away any supermarket or natural food brand yougart. Its very rich and creamy and has a nice tartness. It also makes a killer blue cheese salad dressing.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Soba, If you like plain yougart, you might want to check out a product called kefir or kefir cheese (skip the flavored bottled ones you might see in the supermarket or the health food store) . Its available in most Arabic stores and blows away any supermarket or natural food brand yougart. Its very rich and creamy and has a nice tartness. It also makes a killer blue cheese salad dressing.

Thinned with a little bit of milk, it reminds me of something I had in Sweden a few years ago -- filmjolk. It is dynomite as a beverage, and especially on cereal for breakfast. Anyone know anything about filmjolk?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

There was no punishment severe enough for me to drink milk. In fact, now that this subject has been brought up, you have reminded me of an event that caused me such humiliation that I think I will still have to enlist pychiatric intervention. :biggrin: My aunt, who was a producer of a radio show had the host announce to the 'whole' world that I did not drink my milk. That 'whole' world was only small city Ontario, but to me it was the 'whole' world. Even that didn't get me to drink a glass of that vile liquid. I do love buttermilk though, and with lots of pepper.

LOVE milk. have always LOVED milk. had a jersey milk cow growing up on the farm. ~4-5 inches of cream rising to the top of a gallon. As thick as sour cream on top. used to eat it straight with a spoon. YUM. Now I drink skim, love it. Cook with whole & cream. Cream in mashed taters, bien sur!

Born Free, Now Expensive

Growing up we always drank whole milk, I didn't know another kind existed. Now I rarely drink milk except in coffee or when I eat cereal, and I usually buy 1% milk. Skim milk, besides tasting awful in coffee, turns the coffee to the most unappetizing gray color I have ever seen, it's really revolting. (My "coffee description" -- it has to be the color of a good camel's hair coat, and skim milk will never take it there.) At work there's whole, skim, and half and half in the fridge, and I usually use the whole milk for coffee. Sometimes I splurge with the half & half, and it's like heaven, so creamy and smooth.

When I first got back to the States after many years overseas I remember buying a coffee at a shop (probably a Starbucks) and I went to the counter to put milk in it and was confronted with all these thermoses -- whole milk, 2%, 1%, skim, soy, etc., etc. -- I remember laughing out loud at what I thought was the silliness of it. (And the thermoses always remind me of Artoo Detoo). :smile: