• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milk yet Again...

awbrig

Apparently the blue tint comes from riboflavin. When there's fat in the milk, it masks that color, but since skim has no fat the color shines through. At least that's what I read somewhere once.

Has anybody tried that skim milk stuff that has been processed in such a way as to simulate milk with some fat in it? I think it is a slight improvement -- I'd drink it over regular skim anyday.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

milk: ew. moooooo

my mother made me drink a huge glass every morning that i'da done anything to get out of, from spilling it (oopsie) to bribing the 6'7" drug dealer from across the street to come over in the am and drink it for me. could only gag it down once they agreed to add coffee.

kefir i like.

why do ppl think milk's good for kids? is this really about vitamin d and calcium? certainly there are better sources.

just curious :smile: cause i've always thought milk sucks

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Can milk be frozen and reheated in the microwave for use in sauces?

I suppose. My mother freezes milk all the time. But then she used to drink powdered skim milk :blink: Myself, I just can envision it. :blink:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I grew up with whole milk, but switched to 1% in adolescence. Now I drink quite a bit of milk, all skim, and I don't mind the taste at all. Though I love richness of whole milk - tastes like a milkshake to me. :biggrin: Of course I use whole milk in recipes that call for milk.

Has anybody tried that skim milk stuff that has been processed in such a way as to simulate milk with some fat in it? I think it is a slight improvement -- I'd drink it over regular skim anyday.

The Trader Joe's near me sells something called skim deluxe. It does taste a little richer. They add calcium to it and if you don't shake the carton every time it all settles to the bottom. :blink:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Yeah, I have seen it called Skim Supreme. I do think it tastes better than regular skim, but give me whole instead.

Also, my grandpa was a strong proponent of half and half in cereal. I strongly agree, but cannot justify the fat bomb that it is.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

HATE MILK.

lissome, we had the same mom. mine used to make me drink a glass of milk every morning (no varieties of fat levels in india, one buffalo, one kinda milk, i think that's changing now) - as soon as she turned around to go back to the kitchen - i would pour it down the sink.

she caught me once, i was maybe eight or something, and i got the talk about other starving kids and i offered to sacrifice on their behalf following which i got the talk about being a snotty brat. and then she sat at the table and insisted i drink it all and she would watch to see what this incredibly bad thing that happened to me would be.

i yakked all over the dining table. never had to drink it again.

:laugh:

I eat a massive bowl of cereal in the morning with about 4 cups of milk in it

4 Cups of milk? Why? Do you eat cereal in a large mixing bowl?

How much cereal do you eat with it? :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I have a large bowl. I fill it up to the top. Holds about 6 cups of cereal. On top of that I put a banana, and whatever seasonal fruit I have (in winter I use a pear). Then I pour in the milk until I can see it...sometimes I top it off with more milk as I'm eating if the milk gets low and the cereal is too dry. I don't actually measure out how much milk I use in the bowl, but since a gallon of milk lasts me 4-5 days I am estimating that there's around 4 cups of milk per bowl.

And there you have it - breakfast of champions! :biggrin:

-Eric

Edited by EJRothman (log)

I have a large bowl. I fill it up to the top. Holds about 6 cups of cereal. On top of that I put a banana, and whatever seasonal fruit I have (in winter I use a pear). Then I pour in the milk until I can see it...sometimes I top it off with more milk as I'm eating if the milk gets low and the cereal is too dry. I don't actually measure out how much milk I use in the bowl, but since a gallon of milk lasts me 4-5 days I am estimating that there's around 4 cups of milk per bowl.

-Eric

Who needs to eat for the rest of the day after that? I feel faint, just thinking about tackling that kind of breakfast :blink:

Marlene

full fat soy milk

What does it taste like? How was that original first sip? Who put you up to this? :smile:

You are a brave man, NYfirepatrolchef!

Its kinda a mild nondescrirpt slightly nutty taste...if you get the right brand (with some form of sweetener like in my case a rice based sweetener) its not bad at all...some vary in viscosity as well.

The first sip was a relief because when I was placed on this diet (medically necessitated) that forbade me dairy (among other things) it was a relief because I thought Id never make french toast or anything needing milk again.

Brave...nah...I just hate cereal with water on it....and hot cereals....with water? GUH*ROSS!~

One does what one must out of necessity. :cool:

just curious, what kind of cereal.  My guess: Wheaties, Cheerios or Honeycomb :biggrin:

My favorite cereal is Barbara's Grainshop. Also high on my list are the various Kashi cereals. I do eat Wheaties and Cheerios, however. I eat many different kinds of cereal and usually mix 3 at a time. My only real requirement is that the cereal is whole grain. I don't eat any simple starches.

To address Marlene's post: I actually eat quite a lot of other things throughout the day. I'm a 21 year old male who weight trains 4-6 times a week. I generally consume between 3500-4000 calories a day.

-Eric

Edited by EJRothman (log)

To address Marlene's post: I actually eat quite a lot of other things throughout the day.  I'm a 21 year old male who weight trains 4-6 times a week.  I generally consume between 3500-4000 calories a day.

-Eric

Ok here's a question for you. I also weight train 4-6 times a week. I'm told by my trainer, that it's protein rather than carbs even complex carbs, that build muscle. You seem to be saying the opposite here. I usually have a combination of low carbs and high protein before weight training, and a high protiein drink or snack afterwards. Am I doing this backwards? Is my trainer nuts? Of course I'm a 43 yr old female :biggrin:

Marlene

-Eric

Who needs to eat for the rest of the day after that? I feel faint, just thinking about tackling that kind of breakfast :blink:

Is anyone else thinking this: Jethro Bodine!!

To address Marlene's post: I actually eat quite a lot of other things throughout the day.  I'm a 21 year old male who weight trains 4-6 times a week.  I generally consume between 3500-4000 calories a day.

-Eric

Ok here's a question for you. I also weight train 4-6 times a week. I'm told by my trainer, that it's protein rather than carbs even complex carbs, that build muscle. You seem to be saying the opposite here. I usually have a combination of low carbs and high protein before weight training, and a high protiein drink or snack afterwards. Am I doing this backwards? Is my trainer nuts? Of course I'm a 43 yr old female :biggrin:

Marlene:

Don't get my wrong, it is the protein that builds muscle. I also eat a high protein diet (I try to get close to 200 grams/day). That said I love cereal too much to give it up. Complex carbs are very beneficial for the fiber and nutrients that give you. There is also a small amount of protein in complex carbs.

I usually have my huge bowl of cereal in the morning (the 4 cups of milk gives a nice protein hit), and a protein drink after my workout followed by yogurt fruit and nuts throughout the day.

Dinner generally consists of about a pound of meat, 1 lb of veggies, a cup of grain, and a can of goya beans (quick easy protein).

Anyway, listen to your trainer - he's right. I'm also going to be a trainer come this fall. (that's neither here nor there).

-Eric

-Eric

Diana and I think larb is breakfast of champions; washed down with glasses of water, followed by glasses of 2% Kemps milk.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

-Eric

Is anyone else thinking this: Jethro Bodine!!

who's that?