• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Microwaves

Monica Bhide

Before anyone disses Torakris for microwaving anything, they'll have to come through me. :angry:

Me too!

Please note that it's only to defrost it, not to actually heat it (rubber bread, anyone?). Have you ever tried to separate a frozen English muffin? :sad::sad: Twenty to thirty seconds in the nuker, (well, 40 for the sandwich size), and you can pop those guys into nice, nook-and-cranny halves ready for the toaster oven!

Thank you too Suzanne! :wub:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Reheating single serving sized portions of anything leftover

Preheating potatoes before baking

Steaming vegetables, esp. broccoli, asparagus, sugar peas..(not at home, but I can take these to work fresh or frozen in my lunch with a glob of butter and cook them there)

Risotto, when you don't want to stand over it for 20 minutes

Popcorn

Melting butter

I use mine to :

Occasionally make rice

Cook potaotes

Make many desserts

Make tea

Reheat

Monica--

What desserts do you make in the microwave? Is this beyond melting chocolate?

I also use it to reheat soup, Lean Cuisine ( :shock: ), etc. Also water for tea.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I often use mine to time eggs.

:guffaw:

microwaves frighten me. why nuke anything :unsure:especially sponges?

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

The microwave is now relegated to some defrosting, heating a cup of water for tea, popcorn, the usual suspects. I don't plan to spend a lot of money on one in the new kitchen.

I think we spent $129 on the 1200 watt Jumbo SHARP unit at Sears. It was a countertop model and fits in the hutch we made for a microwave in the combo library/desk area in our newly redone kitchen. They have much more expensive ones, especially the over-range units, but it doesnt make much sense to me to get one that pricey.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Cooking bacon for a fast BLT.  Only 3.5 months to good fresh tomatoes and BLTs!

Mark-

Wouldn't that render the bacon soft and "uncrispy"?? I like my bacon slightly crispy and I imagine the microwave would sort of "steam" it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I like the idea of using it to partially thaw meats for thin slicing.

I use mine to:

- melt butter or ghee

- reheat certain items (never meats or especially chicken which I think gets a nasty "chickeny"taste . Mainly reheat rice, mashes, soups, chilli, coffee

-quick "steam" vegetables in a bag

-re-heat breads (normally pita or other flat breads)

I don't believe I ever used it to cook anything though.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Cooking bacon for a fast BLT.  Only 3.5 months to good fresh tomatoes and BLTs!

Mark-

Wouldn't that render the bacon soft and "uncrispy"?? I like my bacon slightly crispy and I imagine the microwave would sort of "steam" it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I like the idea of using it to partially thaw meats for thin slicing.

I use mine to:

- melt butter or ghee

- reheat certain items (never meats or especially chicken which I think gets a nasty "chickeny"taste . Mainly reheat rice, mashes, soups, chilli, coffee

-quick "steam" vegetables in a bag

-re-heat breads (normally pita or other flat breads)

I don't believe I ever used it to cook anything though.

FM

Actually, bacon gets quite crispy in the microwave.

I use mine for partial defrosting

popcorn

baked potatoes (finished in the oven)

Kraft dinner for the lad

reheating

pizza (my microwave has a crisper pan to make crisp pizza crusts)

warm milk (when the lad can't sleep)

melting chocolate

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I had a microwave in college that I believe was a present from my folks. I used it all the time to microwave frozen burritos.

When I moved out of my parents' house, I think that microwave was relegated to my dad's office, where it was used for I don't know what. In the meantime, I learned to live without a microwave. I really didn't remember why people like them.

Now, my parents are cleaning house, and I have a microwave again. It's sitting in the basement, next to the TV and DVD player. Thus far (we've had it for ...3 months? now) it has been used to pop popcorn, soften frozen butter, melt frozen stock, and make hard ice cream scoopable NOWNOWNOW.

A microwave is not essential to me by any means, and ours takes up more than its fair share of space even in the basement, but it's great to have when we want popcorn for movies or need some stock liquified quickly. I may never buy another one, but I'm kinda glad to have the one we've got.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.