• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1989 Ch de Beaucastel

hjshorter

I tasted this CNDP in 1991 or thereabouts and bought it then. It has been cellared, in slightly higher than ideal temps, but hasn't been mistreated. Should we drink it or let it be for a while longer? At one time I had notes, but the computer that housed my wine info died a horrible death a few years ago.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I tasted this CNDP in 1991 or thereabouts and bought it then.  It has been cellared, in slightly higher than ideal temps, but hasn't been mistreated.  Should we drink it or let it be for a while longer?  At one time I had notes, but the computer that housed my wine info died a horrible death a few years ago.

Is this the Red or the Blanc? We currently have the Beaucastel Blanc 1999 on our reserve list and it seems to be drinking well. The slightly higher than ideal temperature storage would be more my concern. I say DRINK IT! I think wine is meant to produce pleasure and not anxiety. When I worked at a specialty wine shop I was always amused by customers that were SO bent out of shape about drinking a bottle at the EXACT NANOSECOND IN THE SPACE-TIME CONTINUUM that it was at it's "peak". I don't think anyone, even the best trained sommeliers on earth, have ever been able to determine that moment for any given bottle, and I don't think any of us will ever learn a thing about wine unless we occasionally drink something "before" it's prime or "after" it's prime. How do you know the difference if you haven't tasted wine in all stages of evolution? Just my .02, but the anxiety that people have over this never ceases to amaze me.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Is this the Red or the Blanc?  We currently have the Beaucastel Blanc 1999 on our reserve list and it seems to be drinking well.  The slightly higher than ideal temperature storage would be more my concern.  I say DRINK IT!

Katie, it's the red, and thanks for the advice. It's been all I could do to keep from drinking it for this long. It was terrific at the tasting.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

You can drink it now or continue to store it.  Tasting notes are available at  Beaucastel's web site.

Great website. Thanks for the link. I especially like the visuals on the tasting notes timeline.

Yes, it is great juice. I have some that I'm holding onto for a special birthday for my son who was born in 1989.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I had that wine about 6 months ago and it was nowhere near ready. In fact it was most unenjoyable because it was closed. If you do not have many bottles, and you want to avoid disappointment, I would wait at least 3-4 more years. Otherwise You might get lucky and have a bottle that is ready. But I would bet against it. Drink '81 Beaucastel if you can find any. It's drinking marvelously and will last for years. In fact I have drunk through mine and just bought a new case.

My experience is similar to marcus - a bottle sampled three years ago was wonderfully concentrated, opulent, and delicious. Eminently drinkable, but with a very long and promising future ahead.

Keep in mind that this particular vintage of Beaucastel is quite notorious for cork-related problems - not necessarily cork taint, but seepage and other "seal-related" problems. I purchased mine from multiple sources, and I've experienced this problem with bottles from more than one source - Parker has commented on this as well. So you may want to keep an eye on your inventory and make sure everything looks healthy.

My case has seepage problems as well, but I don't expect it to cause a problem with the wine as long as it's stored properly. Seepage can be a symptom of a variety of different problems, the most serious is overheating. I don't think that is the cause here.

I tasted this CNDP in 1991 or thereabouts and bought it then.  It has been cellared, in slightly higher than ideal temps, but hasn't been mistreated.  Should we drink it or let it be for a while longer?  At one time I had notes, but the computer that housed my wine info died a horrible death a few years ago.

Is this the Red or the Blanc? We currently have the Beaucastel Blanc 1999 on our reserve list and it seems to be drinking well. The slightly higher than ideal temperature storage would be more my concern. I say DRINK IT! I think wine is meant to produce pleasure and not anxiety. When I worked at a specialty wine shop I was always amused by customers that were SO bent out of shape about drinking a bottle at the EXACT NANOSECOND IN THE SPACE-TIME CONTINUUM that it was at it's "peak". I don't think anyone, even the best trained sommeliers on earth, have ever been able to determine that moment for any given bottle, and I don't think any of us will ever learn a thing about wine unless we occasionally drink something "before" it's prime or "after" it's prime. How do you know the difference if you haven't tasted wine in all stages of evolution? Just my .02, but the anxiety that people have over this never ceases to amaze me.

Katie:

The Beaucastel Blanc is such a beautifull wine. Full rich flavours of honeydew, cantalope,spice, lemon zest. Yummy. The 2001 are also very good to drink right now but I feel will age for a good 8-10 more years.

Good call.

slowfood/slowwine