• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

i need a good bakery

bunny

You don't say where or what kind of bread, but here goes. The following are in Hoboken, all great bread places but differing in their specialties...

Antique Bakery

Dom's

Grand Bakery

Marie's Bakery

Uni-bake - Jersey City

I second Balthazar's in Englewood.

There is also a small bakery on Washington Ave in Bergenfield, it's across the street from Pudgie's Chicken, near Margie's Custard but on the oppisite side of the street. Sunday mornings smell like heaven!

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

I have discovered a wonderful bakery in Matawan. It is called the Heritage Bakery and it's at 319 Broad Street. A coworker who lives near the bakery brings their Boston Cream donuts to work occasionally and everyone goes nuts making sure they get one!

They are heavy with custard, and the custard is very very fresh tasting, kind of a blend of custard and whipped cream. So yummy! They don't have a chocolate glaze on top, rather a thick smear of chocolate buttercream icing.

We finally took a trip down there and picked up a half dozen - oh the luxury to be able to have more than one! :raz:

We also bought some other goodies and all were much better than I can get at my local bakeries. I highly recommend the onion rolls - a bit greasy with wide slices of onion throughout. (so shoot me, sometimes I LIKE grease.) :rolleyes:

They have lots of breads including sourdough, an interesting looking cinnamon raisin (going to try that next time) and a very good rye. We've only been there twice and are planning to keep going and trying more things!

Some other recommendations - the brownies were great, and they have gorgeous cream pies and other amazing-looking custard filled pies and pastries.

Hmmm I wasn't going to go back this weekend but after this, maybe I will!

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

If you are near Chester, or even if you are not -- it is worth the drive to Artisan Bread, Wine and Cheese. I think they have the best bread in NJ. The baker worked at Balthazar, Sullivan St. and Amy's, and his bread combines the best of all three.

Their bread is also available at Pluckemin Farms, if you are closer to Bedminster.

Bunny, do you have any bread preferences? Do you lean towards lighter styles, like traditional baguettes, or do you like dark and rye-type breads? Or something else?

I know a lot of the restaurants in New York get their bread from Jersey. Does anybody know who the big suppliers are for the better restaurants?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I know a lot of the restaurants in New York get their bread from Jersey. Does anybody know who the big suppliers are for the better restaurants?

Pechters Baking (Harrison NJ) delivers to some restaurants in NYC. They have line of sub sandwich rolls, bread, and do specialty breads, etc.

Texiera's (Newark NJ) has several wholesale routes in NY and NJ for their Portuguese breads and rolls . I'll occasionally see their trucks in the city.

I'm sure there are many others.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Central NJ may not be too far from Philly, or you may go to Philly once in a while. When you are there, do not miss Metropolitan Bakery. They have a couple of locations, and I think their bread is even better than Balthazar. (The pastries are Balthazar's shining star). My Metropolitan faves are the baguettes and the Pain au Levain. But they make about 20 types. This place is a secret gem!!! Here's the website: Metropolitan Bakery

Bon appétit!