• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Typico" Mexican food in Houston

arriba!

Am I asking the impossible? We would like Mexican food while in Houston and don't want the predictable Tex-Mex smothered in melted cheese, but more in the realm of regional Mexican food or "real" Mexican food. I know there must be places like that and we are willing to drive to find them. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ooooo... This is hard... Other than my kitchen (fat chance) there are no guarantees. (No I am not Mexican. I am so Anglo it hurts. But I have traveled a lot in Mexico, outside the usual suspect places, and I delude myself that I am beginning to understand the cuisine and learn how to cook some of it.)

One of the problems is that there is no "temple" to send you to. I don't eat out as much as some who post here so maybe they will be of more help here. Of course, you should know, (and it sounds lkie you might) that saying "Mexican" makes about as much sense as saying "American". It is an amazingly complex and diverse cuisine, fraught with astonishing regional differences. Since many in the Houston area either hail from Mexico or travel there, you find amazing things in unexpected places.

For example... One of the best examples of a Northern Mexico Enchilada (NOT TexMex) is found at Goode & Company's hamburger joint at Kirby and Westlayen. They also have amazing milk shakes with a real cinnamon punch. Breakfast is fantastic.

Irma's Southwestern Grill on Texas downtown (if you can brave the horrible construction) has been known to come up with some inspired dishes. Last time I was there, they do a limited daily menu that can have some real surprises. I had a really good Chicken Mole (Oaxaca) there for lunch some time ago.

Then... I had an incredible Snapper Tampequena at the Topwater Grill in San Leon, Texas. It was at least the equal of any I ever ate in Tampico. You will have to google that one to find it then do a map search. If you are willing to drive, it is worth the experience. It is a typical bayside "joint" that I remember from my childhood except they can turn out some surprisingly sophisticated food. Their black beans were a knockout and were probably better than some I have had in the Yucatan. It is worth the drive for the atmosphere. (I am prejudiced. I live in the area.)

The problem is that there is a surprising amount of really good REAL Mexican food in the area. The other problem is that it is often "hidden" in unexpected places because the influence is so pervasive here, many Houstonians travel to Mexico and know what real Mexican is, but there is not necessarily a flashing neon sign to lead the way.

Try asking around... ask ANYBODY! We are a friendly lot. Hopefully some of our restaurant mavens will be able to add to this list and even give me some tips I haven't heard of.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

If you REALLY "don't mind driving" you should consider driving up to Austin to go to Fonda San Miguel.

I have heard it said that it is one of the best "interior Mexico" restaurants in the U.S.

Maybe you could come on a Sunday.

Their brunches are legendary.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thank you all for the informative responses! When I said I didn't mind driving, I meant the Houston area because that is where we will be! I have heard of some great places in Austin and would certainly try them when there.

I realize that asking for typical "Mexican" covers a lot of ground and the regions are as different as those in the USA. I have travelled both coasts(not much interior) of Mexico and love the food. I would be happy with any restaurant that was a good representation of the food of its' region--please no nachos made with processed cheese!

I am not familiar with Pappasito's--is it run by the Pappas family who have so many restaurants around Houston?

I am not familiar with Pappasito's--is it run by the Pappas family who have so many restaurants around Houston?

Yes.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Pappasitos has great food. However, I don't go there anymore. It is way too loud. I leave with my ears ringing. They have excellent fajitas but those are so common now, I am not sure I would put them in the "authentic" category. Some of there other dishes are really good. I had a wonderful shrimp dish several months ago that was sort of Yucatan style. I don't remember the name. I ate too fast to really study it since I was in a hurry to get out of the noise. (I was captive with a group so I didn't have a say in the choice of restaurant.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

We would like Mexican food while in Houston and don't want the predictable Tex-Mex smothered in melted cheese, but more in the realm of regional Mexican food or "real" Mexican food. . . . Any suggestions? . . .

You could try Las Alamedas at I-10 and Voss.

Edited by Deacon (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this isn't too late for your trip. They had this article in the Houston Chronicle Dining Guide today.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/dining/1891058

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Hope this isn't too late for your trip. They had this article in the Houston Chronicle Dining Guide today.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/dining/1891058

Wow, fifi.

What a great link. Even if one will never in one's life set foot in a Houston Mexican restaurant, there was LOTS of really good information there.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

If you REALLY "don't mind driving" you should consider driving up to Austin to go to Fonda San Miguel.

girl, they owe you a PR fee by now; we should do an egullet thingy there once. I've been craving some mojo de ajo for weeks now, and loved ones won't sit at the same table wit me when I order it......

Taqueria Arandas seems to be exploding here. They just opened one in League City here (on the Gulf Freeway, next to a new Spec's, handy) and I intend to try it. Yes, they used to have great tortas. I will try that for lunch soon and report back.

Something fuzzy in my head says that that chain has an amazing story. It is too fuzzy to report here. They do have (or did have, been a long time) killer breakfast. My favorite thing in the world is a great Mexican breakfast buffet... love the chilequiles.

Maybe we should have a thread on Mexican breakfasts (if that hasn't already been done).

Jaymes???

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 1 month later...

This is obviously after the fact but I believe a few places were missed and one place must have just opened.

For breakfast I think Pico's is the place to go for good mex food. The machacada can huevo al la mexicana and the chiliqueas(SP?) with a fried egg on top are 2 of my fav dishes in town.

Hugos (opened a year or so ago) on Westheimer in the montrose area is turning out some incredible interior mex food. I have been to Topolabampo in chicago and Fonda San Miguel in Austin and this place is as good or better than they are. Right now they have squash blossom specials. The ceviche is incredible as is the snapper tamale and the chile rubbed chicken.

Otillia's was metioned before and is a strong pick as is a place across the road on Long point called El Hildeguense that specializes in mex bbq.

On the lower end Gorditas Aquascaliente is a great place for appetizers and soups.

I could go on and on on taco stands and breakfast tacos but maybe thats another thread?

I almost forgot, but for mex style fish you need to go to Tampico for the snapper alla plancha. It is a whole "grilled" its really fried(no batter just seasonings) red snapper on a bed of onions. Served with some limes or you can get the diablo sauce on the side. Tampico is on Airline about 5-7 miles north of downtown.

Edited by jscarbor (log)

Hey... Thanks for the Pico's tip. I LOVE Mexican breakfast, especially the chileqiles. (I am also not sure of the spelling. I have seen several.) I make those at home a lot. Especially if I have a crowd for breakfast.

We should keep this thread going with our "finds".

edit: Maybe we should retitle the thread? Maybe not. On second thought, looks pretty good.

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Oh. I just read about the mojo de ajo. I make my own. I use the oil to grill fish then sprinkle the roasted garlic on top. Everyone loves it. I first had it in Cozumel in the late 70's at a shack on San Francisco beach with grilled fish, black beans and rice. I never forgot it. Only in the past couple of years did I pick up the method from one of Rick Bayless's books. I have been garlic soaked ever since.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

If you find yourself at the farmers market (I will be there this weekend for gazpacho ingredients) you need to stop by the taco stand that has a red top. This place has great tacos, gorditas, and quesadillas. The pork tacos are great and the tripas is very good as well.

Not far from the farmers market but on the other side of 45 on fulton is a taco stand next to a tire store that sells the best carne tacos around. The tortiallas are only avg but the carne is just awesome when accompanied with the green sauce.

On the east side of town on Navigation not far from the original ninfa's (used to be better than the other ninfa's but it stinks now) is a taco joint called villa arcos. VA serves up great breakfast tacos along with other items. The tacos are huge. I suggest you get a "Super" which is eggs, potatoes, beans, cheese, and either big chunks of bacon, sausage, or chorizo. Check it out, you wont be dissapointed.