• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St. Viateur bagels

docsconz

Please forgive my spelling if it is incorrect. Is there mor than one bagel bakery on St. Viateur? I had previously been to a bagel shop there that also by memory appeared to be a small cafe, however, when I was directed back this past week it was to a bakery that was only a bagel bakery. Is my memory confused or are there several different bagel bakeries on St. Viateur billing themselves as St. Viateur? Is it the same bakery with different locations. The pure bakery also had another name that I unfortunately do not specifically recall. Who makes the best Montreal style bagel and what are the best accompaniments with it?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

As far as i know this is the only St Viateur Bagel Bakery that is located on St Viateur St. I believe they have at least one and possibly more cafe type places in Montreal. However, I think that all their bagels are manufactured at the St Viateur bakery.

IMO St Viateur is the best Montreal bagel. The only one that comes close is Fairmount Bagel Bakery which located a few blocks away.

Porkpa

I'm pretty sure there are two St. Viateur bagel bakeries that are supposedly the same owners, product, etc. I'm not sure if one has a cafe, but I would doubt it. For no apparent reason I always go to the one across from Arahova.

IMO St Viateur is the best Montreal bagel. The only one that comes close is Fairmount Bagel

Absolutely! St-Viateur bagels are better than their Fairmount rivals, because of their higher sesame seed count. You see, the St-Viateur bagel averages 328 sesame seeds vs. 314 for the Fairmount bagel, making it a vastly superior bagel. Most people think they are of equal quality, but discerning gourmets such as Porkpa and myself know that this is most definitely not the case.

My first encounter with Montreal bagels (about 12 years ago) were from someplace other than St. Viateur. I was less than impressed. It wasn't until I tried the bagels from St. Viateur that I understood what all the fuss was about.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

i believe there might in fact be another st. viateur... i remember seeing two addresses on the bag i bought from them.

and i know that there is a st. viateur bagel shop slash breakfast café on monkland near oxford, approx. same quality bagels available there, too.

joe

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

To clarify, they're 5 St. Viateur Bagel locations in all(2 of them are St. Viateur Bagel & Cafe). The original location(263 St. Viateur West), another one on the same street(158 St. Viateur West). St. Viateur Bagel & Cafe's are located in Mont Royal east & Monkland. And they have a location in Laval. The second St. Viateur outlet(158 St. Viateur West) & the one in Laval are mostly for the wholesale market, but are open to the public.

-----------

Steve

Thanks for the info. I previously must have found the cafe and this time the original bakery. It is nice to know that my mind is not yet completely gone. :smile:

Twitter - @docsconz

In checking out the St. Viateur Bagel website, I find it strange that they make no mention of their St. Viateur Bagel & Cafe location on Monkland street. I know it still exists.

-----------------

Steve

• 5 months later...

I found the St. Viateur bagel bakery and cafe on Mont Royal Est agin and brought home a couple dozen bagels. It is a particularly good spot for watching them bake the bagels. It is an interesting process there - moreso than any other bagel bakery I've seen - perhaps because of the volume. Other large volume places such as H&H in NYCdon't have the main ovens on ready view from the retail area.

Twitter - @docsconz