• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Troubleshooting Tempering

seawakim

In ideal room temps (18-22C), a test sample should set in

Dark: 5 mins

Milk: 6-7 mins

White: 7-8 mins

Airflow over the sample can help as well (eg., a fan or air-conditioner blowing air over the sample)

As said above, there are variables around this but I find these pretty good indicators.

You can use the fridge as well for a temper test, but it is not ideal: put your sample in there, leave it for a while (5-8 mins) and take it out. If you push it with your finger and it squishes, it's no good. If you push it with your fingers and its hard, it is probably OK to go. Being based in Australia, I have to do this at times when the kitchen is warm.

In ideal room temps (18-22C), a test sample should set in

Dark: 5 mins

Milk: 6-7 mins

White: 7-8 mins

Airflow over the sample can help as well (eg., a fan or air-conditioner blowing air over the sample)

As said above, there are variables around this but I find these pretty good indicators.

You can use the fridge as well for a temper test, but it is not ideal: put your sample in there, leave it for a while (5-8 mins) and take it out. If you push it with your finger and it squishes, it's no good. If you push it with your fingers and its hard, it is probably OK to go. Being based in Australia, I have to do this at times when the kitchen is warm.

All very helpful ideas. Thank you very much.

Jim D. are you sure that your block of Callebaut milk chocolate went out of temper? Other than having problems tempering a new batch of milk chocolate were there any signs of temper loss on the Callebaut block (bloom / color change)? I am wondering if you problems tempering were due to the Chocovision machine and room temperature or if it was truly caused by lack of tempered seed chocolate. As you have probably discovered, just because the Chocovision tells you your chocolate is tempered, does not mean that it is tempered (it may need more time and agitation before it is in temper). Just something else to consider.

Jim D. are you sure that your block of Callebaut milk chocolate went out of temper? Other than having problems tempering a new batch of milk chocolate were there any signs of temper loss on the Callebaut block (bloom / color change)? I am wondering if you problems tempering were due to the Chocovision machine and room temperature or if it was truly caused by lack of tempered seed chocolate. As you have probably discovered, just because the Chocovision tells you your chocolate is tempered, does not mean that it is tempered (it may need more time and agitation before it is in temper). Just something else to consider.

No, I'm not sure the chocolate was out of temper as there were no other signs. But the block did get a bit soft and sticky to the touch, and that is the way the molds stayed for a long, long time. I have used the Chocovision many times with not a single tempering issue before this one. I know there is a first time for everything.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought, in the interest of accuracy, I should post an update on that difficult block of Callebaut milk chocolate which was discussed in this thread. Curls' question: "are you sure that your block of Callebaut milk chocolate went out of temper?" called for some experimentation. I did it by hand, not machine. Today I tempered some chocolate from that block that had been used before, and for seed I used some other milk chocolate (E. Guittard). A test for temper showed success within a couple of minutes. Then I remelted that Callebaut, but this time used part of the original block of Callebaut (which I didn't know I still had) as the seed. I expected it to fail, but the batch was perfectly in temper. So, Curls, you were correct--it was not the Callebaut. I think the cause of the earlier failure--by way of eliminating all the variables I can think of--is that the kitchen was very warm on that day. Someone had suggested, and I thought it made sense, that the heat had affected the Callebaut used as seed, but it was the whole procedure that was affected. I guess I had never taken seriously the warnings about room temperature, but I certainly will from now on.

• 2 months later...

I have had a lot of mysterious experiences in chocolate-making, but I think I have now encountered one of the oddest. It has been hot and humid where I live, but when I prepared to make a few chocolates for a gift, I turned the AC to a cooler-than-usual temperature and began the process. The pieces looked great, but when I unmolded them, about half of the 15 pieces came out without a serious problem, whereas the others stuck and came out damaged in various ways. A few had cracks in the shells, but most of the unsuccessful ones had that familiar grayish look of chocolate that is no longer in temper--they were too ugly to take as a gift. I put the rejects aside as a consolation for the unsuccessful chocolatier, and--regardless of appearance--they were delicious. Today, three days later, I went to eat the remaining ones, and--lo and behold--they now look perfect! All that gray is gone. I wouldn't say they are actually perfect because I just left them out on the counter and so they are a little soft and no longer have the snap of tempered chocolate, but they do in fact look quite presentable, even have a shine. I would certainly feel confident to take them as a gift. Maybe I have hit upon an easy solution for unsuccessful chocolates--just let them sit around for a while! I like to try to understand what happens when things go wrong in making chocolates, but haven't a clue as to the explanation this time. Any ideas?

I have to mention one triumph when the chocolates I took were passed around: One guest, obviously not all that familiar with tempered chocolates, innocently asked how they came to have such a glossy appearance. I couldn't have fed her a better line if I had thought about it for days! Of course I didn't mention the ones that were sitting at home.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I'm a novice in chocolate making and I'm having difficulties with tempering. I've read everything there was to read and have tried various methods but nothing worked. Now I begin to think that my couverture is the culprit. I work with Belcolade noir, it looks well tempered and demould perfectly but after several hours it starts to develop yellowish streaks. My working area is properly heated (20-22C) and there's no draught. My couverture, however, loooks off. Could it be the reason for lack of shine and streaks on my chocolate?

This is what my couverture looks like:

Untitled_zps0e1b5974.jpg

Sure. Double boiler till 45C, then seed and stir, stir, stir untill it reaches 30-31C and heat it again to 32C. These are Belcolade recommended temps for the type I work with. I've also tried with ice water and microwave and the end results are always the same. Looks tempered (I always test it), demould like a charm, but those streaks are driving me crazy.

That's dark right? You can seed down to about 33 or 34 - don't need to heat back up. Make sure there is a tiny bit still unmelted when it gets down to the working temperature.

I have a question for those with tempering machines, the kind that keep a huge amount of chocolate in contant roatation. How long can you keep chocolate like that in temper? I remember reading something like one week, is that true? After that do you just drain the system and reuse the chocolate? How about cleaning the machine, how is that done? It seems like if it was to be cleaned it would be very meticulous, but do you use any water? Let dry completely in every way before adding chocolate again? I was also wondering about ganaches. Is it ever an issue with an enrober that small pieces might break away and combine with the chocolate? Also, what about starch molded cordials? I've dipped the cordials by hand before, and had the bottoms of some of them break, if that happened inside an enrober, it seems like that's it for the chocolate. I'm sorry for all the questions, but when I see these systems I've always wondered about the small details.

I can't really comment on length of time - I tend to do things in my Selmi at a single sitting and if I leave the chocolate in it I just retemper the next day.

To clean the older Selmis you can't use water - so essentially you run fresh chocolate through it. So if the chocolate is contaminated by nuts etc - you will never fully remove that. The newer Selmis have a removable screw so they can be pulled apart and cleaned with water.

That said - I have seen the guys at Tomric setting up a garden hose and running water through the old Selmi - drying them would be the huge issue.

You can follow kerry's suggestion. I would recommend you keep some of your melted 45degree chocolate on the side. Seed with about 25to30%. Bring it down to 32ish. Then test. Put that test once set in the fridge for 2 min and see how it results. If you have the streaks, add a little of the melted chocolate. Not higher then 33degrees.

Does your chocolate appear thick? or very fluid? How old is it?

ok, I tried it on higher working temp, as Kerry suggested and the choc wasn't tempered. I was just thinking, could it be residual cacao butter on my moulds? I don't wash them, just rinse with warm water and polish with cotton cloth. Those streaks are not white but yellowish. I appreciate your help and please have patient since I've just registered and restricted to two posts per day

For past two days I tried every single thing you guys mentioned and it worked. Apparently, my "calibrated" thermometer wasn't as accurate as I thought and my moulds also needed proper cleaning and polishing. Just wanted to thank you all for the help.