• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods--tsukemono

torakris

This was one of the items in an oden surprise bag that I bought from a kamaboko shop. I know that this (wasabizuke) is more of a "dressing" than the more traditional tsukemono, but how do all of you eat this stuff? I just ate a little bit along with my rice. There isn't much time to eat it before the expiration date arrives and it was impossible for me to get through half of it before it expired. I hate throwing food away. :sad:

gallery_31440_3297_161978.jpg

Hiromi just eats it with rice in small quantities.

We also have a hard time using wasabi-zuke up before it starts to lose its charms.

This was one of the items in an oden surprise bag that I bought from a kamaboko shop.  I know that this (wasabizuke) is more of a "dressing" than the more traditional tsukemono, but how do all of you eat this stuff?  I just ate a little bit along with my rice.  There isn't much time to eat it before the expiration date arrives and it was impossible for me to get through half of it before it expired.  I hate throwing food away.  :sad:

gallery_31440_3297_161978.jpg

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Just a heads-up...I was making my usual Christmas/New Year batch of Turkish pickles (mixed pickle version of Torshi Lift/Left). In Japan, that usually means adding a chunk of red cabbage for color, but this year there have been red-skinned smallish "salad" daikon around. Whoopee! Sliced and marinaded in the brine and vinegar mix, the skin releases color and the white flesh and brine turns a beautiful light cherry pink.

• 4 months later...

Help! I have a third of a daikon sulking on my kitchen table, because I don't have a home for it. I turned a third of it into cold udon with ponzu, and another third into mul kimchi, but now I need to sort out the rest of it. I don't have much miso left right now, or I'd put it in that. I was thinking something with thin slices...anyone have any suggestions? Helen?

Help! I have a third of a daikon sulking on my kitchen table, because I don't have a home for it. I turned a third of it into cold udon with ponzu, and another third into mul kimchi, but now I need to sort out the rest of it. I don't have much miso left right now, or I'd put it in that. I was thinking something with thin slices...anyone have any suggestions? Helen?

Yoonhi's first reaction is to make a bigger thing of mul kimchi. ("Only 1/3?")

Then she said "well, you can braise it in soy sauce". But that's not really in the spirit of pickling.

Help! I have a third of a daikon sulking on my kitchen table,

CUT

I was thinking something with thin slices...anyone have any suggestions? Helen?

I have a book called Tsukemono by Ikuko Hisamatsu and she has a few suggestions I can certainly recommend.

A nice simple and quick one is Daikon Osaka Zuke, here's my interpretation:

Weigh your peeled daikon and measure 2% of the weight in salt (i.e. if you have 300 gms of daikon you need 6 gms salt).

Cut the daikon lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices and chop these slices into matchsticks.

Soften a dried chilli in warm water and remove seeds, slice it thinly.

Put the daikon and chilli together in a container and mix with the salt. Put a weight on top and let it stand for 2 hours.

After this, drain the container and squeeze out any excess liquid from the daikon, put it back in the container.

Cut up a 4 inch slice of konbu. Place the konbu on top of the daikon, replace the weight on top, daikon will be ready to eat 1-2 hours later.

Edited by MoGa (log)

Salt-rubbing sliced, half-moon or matchstick cut daikon will cause the daikon to sweat a bit... after 20 minutes or so, you can squeeze out the excess liquid and add vinegar and sugar for sunomono. Alternatively, for overnight pickles, instead of vinegar and sugar, I like to cook a dried chili or two and some sliced, re-hydrated shiitake in a little sesame oil, then add vinegar, a splash of soy sauce, and maybe a tiny bit of mirin to the pan, and pour this over the daikon. Generally I make this with some carrots. It's nice after one night, but after two or three days it's particularly good, and keeps for about 4 weeks in an airtight container.

They look like this:

http://blog.jagaimo.com/images/ul/daikon_2...jin_2Dtsuke.jpg

(from http://blog.jagaimo.com/archive/2006/12/20/2862.aspx )

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Yoonhi's first reaction is to make a bigger thing of mul kimchi. ("Only 1/3?")

I know, I know. Especially at the rate I can consume mul kimchi. But I'm limited by the size of my container and my fridge where I eventually have to put it. And I have no more cabbage.

I have a book called Tsukemono by Ikuko Hisamatsu and she has a few suggestions I can certainly recommend.

A nice simple and quick one is Daikon Osaka Zuke, here's my interpretation:

Weigh your peeled daikon and measure 2% of the weight in salt (i.e. if you have 300 gms of daikon you need 6 gms salt).

Cut the daikon lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices and chop these slices into matchsticks.

Soften a dried chilli in warm water and remove seeds, slice it thinly.

Put the daikon and chilli together in a container and mix with the salt. Put a weight on top and let it stand for 2 hours.

After this, drain the container and squeeze out any excess liquid from the daikon, put it back in the container.

Cut up a 4 inch slice of konbu. Place the konbu on top of the daikon, replace the weight on top, daikon will be ready to eat 1-2 hours later.

Salt-rubbing sliced, half-moon or matchstick cut daikon will cause the daikon to sweat a bit... after 20 minutes or so, you can squeeze out the excess liquid and add vinegar and sugar for sunomono. Alternatively, for overnight pickles, instead of vinegar and sugar, I like to cook a dried chili or two and some sliced, re-hydrated shiitake in a little sesame oil, then add vinegar, a splash of soy sauce, and maybe a tiny bit of mirin to the pan, and pour this over the daikon. Generally I make this with some carrots. It's nice after one night, but after two or three days it's particularly good, and keeps for about 4 weeks in an airtight container.

You're stars! I'm going to wander into the kitchen and see if I have any chilis sitting around. I know I have dried shiitake and konbu....

gallery_41378_5233_139360.jpg

MoGa P/M'ed me a recipe for daikon with yuzu that I had everything on hand for (well - I used lemon peel instead of yuzu peel), so the daikon has been completely vanquished. I blanched the tops and served them for dinner last night as gomae, some went for grating on udon yesterday, the peels went with some carrots for a kinpira, and some went for the mul-kimchi, which is bubbling happily as we speak, and should be ready for consumption tomorrow.

The rest - pickled as above. It's a nice, mild pickle with a subtle lemon taste. I'll definitely buy a yuzu to try this out as originally intended. This would make a great breakfast pickle.

I'm feeling very virtuous now, since I didn't waste a bit of the first daikon I've ever bought.

I'm feeling very virtuous now, since I didn't waste a bit of the first daikon I've ever bought.

I failed to understand what you intended to do.

Is it understood that different parts of a daikon are suitable for different types of dish? Kristin explains this here.

You can also use daikon leaves. Some poeple say that the leaves should not be eaten because of possible pesticide residue, but I think that boiling them first reduces the risk.

I've always eaten dishes made with daikon, but I was intimidated because I had never cooked with one before. I had some free time to experiment this week, so I looked up some recipes (I boiled those leaves first, don't worry) and decided to buy one. The thing I didn't anticipate was how big the darn thing was, so even after I had made mul kimchi, kinpira, cold udon salad, and cooked the tops with sesame dressing, I still had a large hunk on my counter and I was out of ideas. Pickles seemed like a good idea, but I don't have any recipes for them, so I decided to ask around here.

They were successful, so I guess I won't be intimidated by daikon any more.