• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mortar and Pestle – The Topic

helenas

Bump!

I really didn't need this, but there was a sort of pop-up concession at the entrance to my favourite supermarket and most reliable oyster store this morning. They were selling all manner of, mainly stainless steel, cooking equipment. My eyes immediately hit on this beauty. and there was no question that I was going to buy it.

mp.jpg

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 1 year later...

Here is my new marble mortar, 24 hours from Carrara...

KitchenToy12222017.png

Nominal size 20 cm, inside diameter 14.3 cm, capacity 1 liter, shipping charge 77 Euro.  Olive wood pestle pictured.  In addition I purchased a marble one.

Mortars12222017.png

For comparison shown with my trusty little 30 year old model, inside diameter 8.8 cm.  And if it counts as a mortar I also have a suribachi somewhere.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, haresfur said:

How should I clean my unglazed samtam mortar? I'm thinking just use a plastic brush and water so I don't get soap into the porous clay.

On 7/25/2012 at 1:53 PM, patrickamory said:

Thai mortar & pestles do not need to be seasoned. Just rinse it out thoroughly.

Never wash it with soap. If you need to clean it, put a solution of 1/3 white vinegar 2/3 water in it for 15-30 minutes, then rinse out.

One of the greatest cooking tools known to man! (My avatar swears to it.)

Duh, guess I should have read back further.

When I was in grad school we used beautiful onyx mortar and pestle to grind powders. To clean it we would wash, grind up glass microscope cover slides, then rewash.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.