• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If you could have Dinner with any One Person

awbrig

tommy's in.

You just get to pretend he's someone else. Jacques Pepin, Eleanor Roosevelt, whomever.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Aurora and Lamb:

Thank you for your thoughtful and even more so, thought provoking responses. It really made me think about all the family members and loved ones that are still near in spirit and influence, but sorely missed.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Dear Lamb, I lost my dad in December, and I would love to have dinner with him again. It has to be an all-you-can-eat place, and we HAVE to be there by 5. The man was serious about eating. And always skinny as a rail til he got sick and couldn't run around any more. (I didn't inherit that gene. ) He would pick up the check for both of us--all $12 or so--nuttin fancy for him.

Before I read your message, Lamb, my choice was going to be Sacajawea. How 'bout that kid? All of 17, gives birth on the trail, hikes halfway across the continent and back with a whole flock of men.

sparrowgrass

The fictional character thing was touched on briefly before. Was it a goer?

If so then chalk up:

Sir Harry Flashman

Bertie Wooster

Calvin and Hobbes

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

hmmm JD Salinger just for the scandal though he doesn't seem like alot of fun

i'd like to think I would choose someone fascinating and literate but if I can only choose one person i think i have to say Mr. Big Chris Noth from sex & the city because I would count this as a date he is single and seems like he knows how to have fun (it would of course be at French Laundry where else)

of course if I was going highbrow I'd choose Oscar Wilde because it would be fun to sit with and mock others so would have to go hold court at Balthazar where we can drink lots get rowdy

actually I think Tom Robbins would be an insane dinner companion so I think I chose him and we'd go to Herb Farm in WA. if Mr.Noth declines my invite to dinner and I am unable to exhume the spirit of Mr. Wilde.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

This is a question some trial lawyers ask jurors (if the judge lets em get away with it) during voir dire. It's sad how many people pick Jesus and how few pick Plotnicki. Gertrude Stein might be good. Thomas DeQuincey? Jack Kerouac when sober.

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I can't pick one. Too much depends on the subject:

science: Einstein or Feynman

food: Shaw or Bourdain

lit: Hunter S. Thompson or George Bernard Shaw or H.G. Wells

wit: the entire Algonquin Round Table

music: Frank Zappa and sons

politics: Rudolph Giuliani or Huey Long

and if we're just setting me up for a dinner date: Winona Ryder, Lee Lee Sobieski, Helen Hunt, Bridget Fonda, or Julia Stiles

Edited by Deacon (log)

Last night, I dreamed I had dinner with Bourdain and Awbrig.

It was at Awbrig's house, only it wasn't Awbrig's house, it was my family's cabin in the Baldwin, MI area. It was during the annual Baldwin Trout-a-rama. We had filet mignon, which (to me) seemed inappropriate during the Trout-a-rama.

Grant Achatz was also there, but he looked like that little dude from "Fantasy Island," the one who pointed at the sky and said "boss! De plane! De plane!" :blink: There were other guests as well, but I don't know who they were.

I was seated next to Bourdain, two places down from Awbrig. Bourdain was doing the cooking. He picked our steaks out of the saute pan with his fingers. He had really dirfy fingers, and long, jagged, dirty fingernails. He gave me the smallest steak, and this was after he took a big old bite out of the side of it, right on the nicest crusty part. :shock:

I thought this was very inappropriate, but was so nervous to be seated with such illuminaries, that I couldn't say anything. Grant Achatz didn't eat, he just kind of lurked in the corner. Wearing a white suit.

In light of this, I'd like to revise my choice. I'll just have dinner with FritzBrenner.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Last night, I dreamed I had dinner with Bourdain and Awbrig.

It was at Awbrig's house, only it wasn't Awbrig's house, it was my family's cabin in the Baldwin, MI area. It was during the annual Baldwin Trout-a-rama. We had filet mignon, which (to me) seemed inappropriate during the Trout-a-rama.

Grant Achatz was also there, but he looked like that little dude from "Fantasy Island," the one who pointed at the sky and said "boss! De plane! De plane!"  There were other guests as well, but I don't know who they were.

I was seated next to Bourdain, two places down from Awbrig. Bourdain was doing the cooking. He picked our steaks out of the saute pan with his fingers. He had really dirfy fingers, and long, jagged, dirty fingernails. He gave me the smallest steak, and this was after he took a big old bite out of the side of it, right on the nicest crusty part. 

I thought this was very inappropriate, but was so nervous to be seated with such illuminaries, that I couldn't say anything. Grant Achatz didn't eat, he just kind of lurked in the corner. Wearing a white suit.

In light of this, I'd like to revise my choice. I'll just have dinner with FritzBrenner.

Very Cool dream! At least I can now say Ive had dinner with Bourdain - even it was only in Nero's dreams! :smile:

This is a question some trial lawyers ask jurors (if the judge lets em get away with it) during voir dire.  It's sad how many people pick Jesus and how few pick Plotnicki.  Gertrude Stein might be good.  Thomas DeQuincey?  Jack Kerouac when sober.

I didn't pick Jesus myself, but I would like to know why you think it is so sad? Jack Kerouac was never sober and in some circles he is a has been - or a never was.