• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If you could have Dinner with any One Person

awbrig

Wow. Thanks :blush:

I'd certainly think we'd be able to work that out some day.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I would like to give a serious answer but just can't get anyone to come to mind (other than Heath Ledger! :biggrin: )

I would like to join Anna N in the kitchen with Jin though!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Unless it has to be a real person~

From Erich Maria Remarque's ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT...

Stanislaus Katczynski...Polish named German Solider.

"Kat", as introduced by Richard Thomas (in character of Paul Baumer), had a nose for bad weather and good food. Especially when there was none.

I see a lot of myself in Kat. Im part Polish...I have a nack for good food. Specially when I dont think there is. Thats where I surprise myself and come up with something good. But I part company with both versions of Kat (Louis Wolheim in 1930 and for god sake Ernest Borgnine...an Italian playing a Polish guy in the German Army) when it comes to body girth.

I always wondered how a Pole wound up in the German Army. Less he was from Silesia or what evolved into the Danzig Corridor.

Unless it has to be a real person~

From Erich Maria Remarque's ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT...

Stanislaus Katczynski...Polish named German Solider.

"Kat", as introduced by Richard Thomas (in character of Paul Baumer), had a nose for bad weather and good food.  Especially when there was none.

Perhaps another thread? If you could have dinner with one fictional character . . .

If alive: B.B. King or Sir Derek Jacobi.

If dead: G.B. Shaw or Albert Schweitzer.

My Great-aunt Olivia.

She died before I was born. She had no children, and she worked as a cook for a very prominent family in Milwaukee in the 1940s and 50s. She also wrote and traveled extensively. I have all of her handwritten cooking notes and recipes, and they are full of tips that have been very useful to me.

Aunt Olivia was also a very stylish woman who focused on details. I have a picture of her as she was boarding a train -- destination unknown. It was taken during a time when train travel was luxurious, and people "dressed" for their trips. In the photograph, she is being assisted by a porter who is helping her with a steamer trunk. She's wearing gloves, beautiful pearls with matching earrings, and a wool suit with a sable stole draped around her shoulders (I still have it). Her hair is done in an up-do. Her hat, which matches the suit, is tilted to one side and carefully secured with a tastefully ornate hat pin. On her feet, are a sleek pair of black platform sling-backs that have an opening at the toe. She always carried one of those big, roomy handbags that was casually worn on the forearm, and she swore by corsages and Parker fountain pens.

I am told that no one could plan and execute a meal the way she could, and I would love to dine with her. At the very least, perhaps I could go back in time and accompany her on her train trip, and sit with her in the dining car for just a little while.

Edited by Aurora (log)

My Great-aunt Olivia.

She died before I was born.  She had no children, and she worked as a cook for a very prominent family in Milwaukee in the 1940s and 50s.  She also wrote and traveled extensively.  I have all of her handwritten cooking notes and recipes, and they are full of tips that have been very useful to me.

Aunt Olivia was also a very stylish woman who focused on details.  I have a picture of her as she was boarding a train -- destination unknown.  It was taken during a time when train travel was luxurious, and people "dressed" for their trips.  In the photograph, she is being assisted by a porter who is helping her with a steamer trunk.  She's wearing gloves, beautiful pearls with matching earrings, and a wool suit with a sable stole draped around her shoulders (I still have it).  Her hair is done in an up-do.  Her hat, which matches the suit, is tilted to one side and carefully secured with a tastefully ornate hat pin.  On her feet, are a sleek pair of black platform sling-backs that have an opening at the toe.  She always carried one of those big, roomy handbags that was casually worn on the forearm, and she swore by corsages and Parker fountain pens. 

I am told that no one could plan and execute a meal the way she could, and I would love to dine with her.  At the very least, perhaps I could go back in time an accompany her on her train trip, and sit with her in the dining car for just a little while.

That e n t i r e scenario just totally ROCKS Aurora. DAYUM!~

Seems you got her flair for writing.

Your descriptive was about as three dimensional as one could ever get!~

:biggrin:

My Dad. When I was little he would tell my Mom to "just leave me be" when she wanted me to clean my plate. I was sooo skinny and she wanted to fatten me up. He thought I was just fine.

It's only been 4 months since he's gone. I would give anything to be able to sit down to dinner with him again. He lived in Florida for the past 15 years. We would have to go to early bird specials when visiting - and he would only go to restaurants that had cloth napkins. Jeez, I miss him. :sad:

Thass it. I change my vote. I want to be at that dinner with Aurora and her great-aunt Olivia. I won't butt in and ruin Aurora's moment - just be a little gargoyle sitting in the corner watching it all.

And nypatrolchef, All Quiet on the Western Front - Kat. The first book ever in my life that made me stop over and over again because of the tears blurring my eyes. I know that sounds trite - but it ain't. I'd never had that experience before. Nothing brought home the power of books and language like that book. Having to set it down because I was sobbing to hard. I mean this was paper, ink. Only "real" people had been able to do that to me before. If you're like Kat, I want to have dinner with you.

Lamb, sorry to hear about your dad. Adulthood means many things - the transitioning from blacks and whites to greys. The loss of one's parents. The latter, I suspect will demarcate my personal transition to adulthood like nothing else has - not moving out, not moving continents, not being married. There is almost nothing I fear about adulthood as much as I fear the loss of my parents. I hope you're doing okay.

Sigh. I wish there was an emoticon for a big old sigh.

indiagirl, after your parents are gone comes the worry about how your kids will take your own death. It all just goes on and on.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Adulthood means many things - the transitioning from blacks and whites to greys. The loss of one's parents. The latter, I suspect will demarcate my personal transition to adulthood like nothing else has - not moving out, not moving continents, not being married. There is almost nothing I fear about adulthood as much as I fear the loss of my parents. I hope you're doing okay.

Sigh.  I wish there was an emoticon for a big old sigh.

lamb - i most second that emotion.

though i think for females you really don't feel really grown up till you lose your mother. a truly defining moment when you become the adult and it's funny how so many of the food traditions drop into your lap. i was 36 when i lost my mom - my mother-in-law is 69 and her mom is still around. she has yet to pick up the traditions( not that she can cook and i have most of the recipes from her mom) yet years ago i started with our traditions - oatmeal and portugese sweet bread for thanksgiving and christmas and easter.

the fruitcake ( no citron) started on thanksgiving day. stuffed eggs for easter monday...

i'd love to have one last meal of crispy bacon, boiled potatoes, fried flounder and lima beans for breakfast just like esther used to make....

since we don't have any kids who have survived us(a definite 20th century advance if you look at enough gravestones) - all i can hope for is to help some one to remember the past and make the future better - cousin, neice, nephew or an adopted relative

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

indiagirl, after your parents are gone comes the worry about how your kids will take your own death. It all just goes on and on.

very true, jinmyo. the cycle of life

do you think of that as a negative thing or do you think of that as something that is essential to the notion of a "cosmic balance/cycle", for want of a better phrase.