• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If you could have Dinner with any One Person

awbrig

Oh dear you are asking at the wrong time of the month! :biggrin:

I would have to say at the moment, Heath Ledger, I doubt he would make it through dinner though! :shock::wub:

I post back next week when I am thinking with my head...........

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Ill be in Japan next week, will you cook for me?

Heath

ledger-heath.jpg

HELL YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wub::wub::wub::wub:

Sorry it took so long to respond, I was stuck heathbaby.com looking at exactly the same picture!

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Jinmyo, but I'd want to be in the kitchen watching her cook! That would be awesome!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It is utterly impossible for me to pick one person.

At first, I wanted to say Thomas Jefferson -- but what the hell do I *really* know about Thomas Jefferson? He was a genius and a gourmand, but would I really like the guy? I mean, I think I would -- but I'd probaby just sit there silently in awe that I was actually having dinner with Jefferson.

Next I thought I'd say MFK Fischer, but that sounded pretentious.

Douglas Coupland maybe? Nah. He hasn't written anything particularly interesting lately.

Thinking about this is giving me a headache.

Oprah maybe? Yeah. I'd like to have dinner with Oprah.

Anna, that's very kind. Thank you.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Would loved to have chewed the fat with Zappa.

Was fortunate enough, in another life altogether, to share a table with Kingsley Amis and Anthony Burgess who were literary heroes of mine

Greatly regret never getting to break bread with Bruce Chatwin or Derek Jarman.

Oh, and dinner with The Don ( wilf knows who I mean ) would have been interesting

S

Edited by Simon Majumdar (log)

It is utterly impossible for me to pick one person. 

At first, I wanted to say Thomas Jefferson -- but what the hell do I *really* know about Thomas Jefferson?  He was a genius and a gourmand, but would I really like the guy?  I mean, I think I would -- but I'd probaby just sit there silently in awe that I was actually having dinner with Jefferson.

Next I thought I'd say MFK Fischer, but that sounded pretentious. 

Douglas Coupland maybe?  Nah.  He hasn't written anything particularly interesting lately.

Thinking about this is giving me a headache. 

Oprah maybe?  Yeah.  I'd like to have dinner with Oprah.

I was thinking of Jefferson too, and would have also been speechless at the table.

Oprah would be great, set up the time and place and I will join you.

At first, I wanted to say Thomas Jefferson -- but what the hell do I *really* know about Thomas Jefferson?  He was a genius and a gourmand, but would I really like the guy?  I mean, I think I would -- but I'd probaby just sit there silently in awe that I was actually having dinner with Jefferson.

When John F. Kennedy invited a group of Nobel Prize recipients to dine at the White House he stated that there had not been such genius present in the room since Thomas Jefferson dined alone.

However, I have increasingly lost respect for Jefferson of late. I think there is a good argument to be made that had he lived long enough, he would have supported the Confederacy. I would like to dine with Jefferson's arch rival and distant cousin, John Marshall. And like Jefferson, he spent time in France, so I figure he would know his food.

Edited by ranitidine (log)

Harriet Tubman

What a gal.

However, I probably couldn't eat much. I get all choked up even just thinking about her and what she accomplished at such great personal risk. And she never lost a "passenger," either. So I admire her not only for her passion, concern, vision, kindness - but also for her competence.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.