• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for Cream Sauce

awbrig

Classically, Cream Sauce is 1 pt thick bechamel with 1/2 pt cream and some lemon juice, but then you knew that.

For a flourless sauce, you could consider Newburg Sauce, which will highlight the lobster: I think the taste of the burnt brandy goes well. Saute the shells and bits of lobster left over in butter, flame with with 2 Tbs brandy and good glass of sherry. Reduce by 2/3rds. Add 1/3 pt cream and 1/3rd pt fish stock and a faggot of herbs. reduce to texture; strain, check seasoning, finish with butter.

Take some peeled garlic cloves and DEEP FRY them until they are soft and brown. Take 1 cup dry vermouth,a drop of rice wine vinegar, a sprig of thyme, a bay leaf and some chopped shallot and cook down like a beurre blanc. Add 2 cups cream and reduce till the thing bubbles. Make sure to stir on occasion to keep from sticking. Salt and pepper and youre golden.

Oh yeah, and strain the fucking solids out in a chinois.

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

EVeryone's a fucking comedian these days.

What would Chef Keller think about your posts?

Relax, dude.

If Keller knew how much of a punk I am he'd put me on his BLOCK list, no doubt--although I pissed in his bushes and told him about it so he can't be blindsided by my offensive personality. As for being chill--I'm totally in my element.

If Keller knew how much of a punk I am he'd put me on his BLOCK list, no doubt--although I pissed in his bushes and told him about it so he can't be blindsided by my offensive personality. As for being chill--I'm totally in my element.

Classy. No wonder he has you looking for names for his NYC restaurant.

Edited by awbrig (log)

Classy. No wonder he has you looking for names for his NYC restaurant.

Hey, I'll take that as a compliment. So are you going with my sauce or not, spongebob.....

Take some peeled garlic cloves and DEEP FRY them until they are soft and brown.  Take 1 cup dry vermouth,a drop of rice wine vinegar, a sprig of thyme, a bay leaf and some chopped shallot and cook down like a beurre blanc.  Add 2 cups cream and reduce till the thing bubbles.  Make sure to stir on occasion to keep from sticking.  Salt and pepper and youre golden.

And where is he supposed to put the garlic cloves, pray?

(Yes, this is a test. :laugh: )

We're still friends right?

of course. :smile:

Did you really go to the bathroom outside @ The French Laundry?

yeah, i sure did. if you'd like to read about it i could email you the whole story...friend. it's something i was very ashamed of but i had no where else to go...the first thing i did when i entered the french laundry was not going to be running upstairs to piss.

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

Take some peeled garlic cloves and DEEP FRY them until they are soft and brown.  Take 1 cup dry vermouth,a drop of rice wine vinegar, a sprig of thyme, a bay leaf and some chopped shallot and cook down like a beurre blanc.  Add 2 cups cream and reduce till the thing bubbles.  Make sure to stir on occasion to keep from sticking.  Salt and pepper and youre golden.

And where is he supposed to put the garlic cloves, pray?

(Yes, this is a test. :laugh: )

oops...the fried cloves go directly into the reduction. trust me, i've been doing this sauce for years....

Can we get back to food?

You'd do better with the Newburg sauce I posted above.

Not as rich (1/3rd pt cream rather than 2 cups), and more attuned to the lobster. Less burnt garlic, and less likely to split (no vinegar).

You can still strain the fucking solids with a chinois, and there are a lot more of them with all that lobster shell.

You could even rub it though a tammy.

Makes a great base for a souffle as well.

I guess you could do a a modern cream and vanilla sauce for the lobster - its called custard...

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Oh come on. Considering we're straining the fucking solids in a chinois can't we have the pissing in the FL bushes story posted here too?

:biggrin:

For fear of Rosie's warning posts (inside joke) I email The Importance of The French Laundry only. It gets close to liable and would probably incur far too much wrath from the scolars of eGullet. If you want the story I can email it to you guys if you PM me. Thanks.

That's okay.  You got a C- in recipe writing, but you passed the test.

Man, this is a tough room. C-?

Hey, that's what I'm about, among other things. Watch for a future piece on TDG. :biggrin:

Yes, we ARE a tough room, because we all care A LOT. Don't feel bad.

PS: the word is "libel" -- Yes, you do lose points from me for bad spelling. :laugh:

jesus, guys.

once, my mother told my sister that my dad was concerned about her swearing. he said it didnt become her. my sister replied (to my mom), "it doesnt fucking become anyone, but everyone fucking does it."

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker