• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Austin Wine Shops

Creeper

For the past couple years, I've done the majority of my wine shopping at Grapevine and Central Mkt. Over the past few months, though, I've started checking out some of the smaller shops and have been relatively impressed. I've also been somewhat surprised at the disparity in price between stores. For instance, a bottle of Deutz Brut Classic NV champagne is $38 at Central Mkt, $32 at Wiggy's, and $25 at the Twin Liquors at 2222/620. I also purchased a bottle of 1996 Pillot Pommard Rugiens for close to $70 at Central Mkt. A week later I found the same wine at Davenport Liquor for over $20 less. What are your favorite wine/liquor stores? Also, are there some that specialize in certain regions, such as the Austin Wine Merchant's focus on Burgundy?

-Steven

Steven,

Try 'The Celler' off of Bee Caves (3520 Bee Caves Rd # B). It's in by the Belgium Resteraunt. They were the only ones in Austin that could get me a case of Kistler. If they don't have it, they'll most likely be able to get it.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Think before you drink.......I think I'll have another!

I agree about Grapevine, as they have the best selection and no air of snobbery, and the prices were comparable. Austin Chronicle covered a topic of this sort last week, I think:

http://auschron.com/2003-03-28/food_feature.html

Mostly, I like them because they carry Clos Pegasse, a minor merlot I brought to the first steak dinner my true love ever burnt for me.

Central Market is my second home, but I prefer buying wine at Grapevine. The selection is vast and the staff is fun to work with. I've never felt "out-snobbed" by a Grapevine employee, even though they know WAY more than I do about wine.

I haven't yet visited the wine shop (Austin Wine Merchant?") on 6th Street, but I'm going to stop in soon.

Still haven't been able to find any good-value Pinot Gris either Central Market or Grapevine -- specifically, Schumberger, Willm and Mader.

I've had good luck with staff selections from Grapevine. You might want to check out the Austin Wine Merchant. They have a decent selection of Alsatian wines and might have some of the Pinos Gris bottles you're looking for. A few yrs ago, they consistently stocked bottles of Trimbach's Clos St Hune riesling, which is hands-down the best riesling I've had. If you don't mind ordering wine online, I'm certain I've seen the '01 Willm Pinot available for around $10 a bottle. I'm sure I can dig up the site, if you're interested.

I've had good luck with staff selections from Grapevine.  You might want to check out the Austin Wine Merchant.  They have a decent selection of Alsatian wines and might have some of the Pinos Gris bottles you're looking for.  A few yrs ago, they consistently stocked bottles of Trimbach's Clos St Hune riesling, which is hands-down the best riesling I've had.  If you don't mind ordering wine online, I'm certain I've seen the '01 Willm Pinot available for around $10 a bottle.  I'm sure I can dig up the site, if you're interested.

Thanks, Creeper.

I'm going to check out Austin Wine Merchant on 6th. I'm actually more interested in the Mader than the Willm. Do you know if you can order the Mader on-line? I suppose to could try doing that.

As for Grapevine, when I asked the wine guy about Alsace Pinot Gris he apologized for not having any of the particular ones I mentioned and then recommended I try some of the Oregon Pinots. I bought a bottle (King Estates, I think) but haven't tried it yet.

I ran a quick search on wine-searcher.com and didn't get any hits for Mader. I'm unfamiliar with this producer. If you hit AWM you might want to do so on a Sat, as they have weekly tastings then.

I ran a quick search on wine-searcher.com and didn't get any hits for Mader.  I'm unfamiliar with this producer.  If you hit AWM you might want to do so on a Sat, as they have weekly tastings then.

Thanks. I'm going to try to go tomorrow.

The Mader was recommended to me by a friend who lives in Atlanta. She drinks lots of Alsace wines and says that this particular Pinot Gris is an amazing buy.

Here's a picture I found of their label. This is not the Pinot Gris, but at least you can see the logo.

alsa_11.jpg

I like Grapevine Mkt. I buy most of my wine at CM because Seth knows what I like and can afford. But Grapewine is special ( and I love their tequila selection!)

I attended a Chilean wine class last night. One of them was yummy ( to my palate). It's the De Bosier Pinot Noir, Casa Blanca Valley 2001. And it runs $9.99. Check it out!

Ya know, another egullet thing we could do, would be to have a private wine class. I could get Seth to teach it for us. We could do it at my house: we'd rely on Seth to choose the wines ( we could choose the country or varietal )and he'd walk us through them. I'd make food to accompany the wines.Sound like fun?

Ya know, another egullet thing we could do, would be to have a private wine class. I could get Seth to teach it for us. We could do it at my house: we'd rely on Seth to choose the wines ( we could choose the country or varietal )and he'd walk us through them.  I'd make food to accompany the wines.Sound like fun?

Hey, I'd love that!

Also, I wouldn't mind bringing a dish or two. Let's do that.

...or we can just wait until the big egullet barbecue and make it a bbq/wine tasting.

I think that's a great idea.  I could bring a dish or two as well.

What's the story on the eGullet barbecue?

No firm plans as of yet. We've been discussing it at our monthly egullet get-together. Next one is going to be at Ventana -- date and time TBD.

What a cool topic.

For value, I like Costco and World Market. WM had a strong selection of everyday wines (under $15). Sometimes you can find excellent values at Costco, I bought a few bottles of a nice Chateauneuf-du-Pape (too lazy to go downstairs to see who the producer was) for $18 when everyone else in Austin had it for $29.

Grapevine Market is wonderful, they also have some interesting items in their gourmet department. Chuck and the rest of the team there are willing and able to offer super suggestions. I am happy they started to carry Tablas Creek :smile: .

Central Market probably offers the best balance of selection and value in Austin. Seth and Natasha have pointed me to some gems, but a few of the other folks there occasionally offered less than stellar suggestions. I probably buy more wine there than any other wine shop in town.

Austin Wine Merchant – I have found them to be so incredibly helpful and their wine tasting on Saturday is like a free wine class. They love to sit around and share their vast knowledge of wine with anyone who comes through the door. When I was just starting to appreciate Southern Rhone wines, one of the owners spent 45 minutes with we explaining all about the region, different producers and their styles, etc. They also keep track of the wine you buy so they quickly learn your likes/dislikes. The only problem with them is that they are expensive and have a limited selection of wines under $20, they do have a great selection of upper end wines. If you sign up for their weekly email, they announce on Wednesday what wines they will be tasting on Saturday.

I like Wiggy’s, do not know why? Maybe it is the worn wooden floors in the back room, the boxes of wine stacked to the ceiling, their strong selection of Bordeauxs…who knows. I have never left that place without buying a few bottles.

I like Wiggy's, too. Something to be said for the ambiance. And the gentleman with the glasses (I blanked on his name) is just the best. I've come out of there with some great stuff on his recommendation.

I do buy the bulk of my wine at Central Market, just because I'm there more often.

I like Grapevine, but I live in south Austin, so I don't make it up there as often as I'd like.

Challah back!

It's at 3652 Bee Caves... not sure if that's near Walsh Tarlton. It's in a strip mall, about a half mile west of the Belgian Cafe, maybe two miles east of 360. If you bring cash or check, it's 15% off six bottles.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally made it to the Austin Wine Merchant yesterday. Wow! What a great little store. They have a very good selection of reasonably priced Pinot Noirs and Alsatians plus a couple of Spanish wines that I haven't seen anywhere else in the city. One in particular -- Dos Masos. It's 9.99 tarragona wine that you have to try if you like Spanish Reds.

Still haven't made it to the Twin on Bee Cave.

• 2 months later...

I have always had great success shopping at Davenport Liquor. They have a good selection of specialty wines, as well as difficult-to-find items, and the staff is very knowledgeable. I have requested and received several special orders at this store. I would suggest to check it out....it's a little hidden in Davenport Village, but worth the trip!

• 4 weeks later...

Hill Country Wine in the Pillage at Westlake (360 and Bee Caves) is great. They have some wonderful bargains there and the management and staff are knowledgeable and friendly.

I haven't tried Davenport. I guess that will be my next wine adventure.

I once went to the Twin Licquors near Westbank and Bee Caves and the air conditioning had failed. It was very hot in there and it made me wonder about the future of all that wine. :shock: