• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most popular food in your area?

emhahn

OK Mark...explain what that means please? :wacko:

Pasties are the nipple covering on exotic dancers. Sometimes with tassles swinging 'round.

I guess you can still ask for ketchup with them. :wink:

Thank you for that....i would take a guess that they would taste better than the average pastie we get round here :wink:

My aunt makes pasties, but there have never been any nipples under these ones. :laugh:

They are a meat pie that resembles a calzone in shape. Hers are filled with a beef stew like mixture including beef, onions, potatoes, carrots, and a thick sauce. Some people like tons of ketchup on it, but I can't stand it.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

New Jersey: Porkroll

Jersey tomatos

boardwalk food

Pizza

Sweet Corn

Northern part of New Jersey (aka "Soprano land") its got to be Italian, alternating with Korean food in certain parts.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Here in Maine, it's Lobster Rolls, even at McDonalds not too bad at $ 3.95 and in SuperMarkets like Hannaford's or Shaw's.

No one really screws 'em up too badly. Have not had one from 'frozen' meat yet. So that's a plus. And it's year around, not like cherries or morels or some other seasonal foods.

Peter

My aunt makes pasties, but there have never been any nipples under these ones.  :laugh:

They are a meat pie that resembles a calzone in shape.  Hers are filled with a beef stew like mixture including beef, onions, potatoes, carrots, and a thick sauce.  Some people like tons of ketchup on it, but I can't stand it.

Ben

Also popular on da Iron Range in northern MN. Unlike a calzone, the "crust" is flakey -- not yeast.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Ann Arbor, MI. One university. Buzillion students.

Pizza, Korean, Italian, Indian, Ethiopian, Sandwich deli type stuff, burgers, Brewpub food, Chinese, Thai

Dearborn, MI. Ford Motor Company. Largest concentration of people of Arabic descent in the US.

Hummus, Falafel, Mjaddra, Ghallaba, Shish Kebabs,etc

Dearborn, MI. Ford Motor Company. Buzillion engineers packed lunches.

Sandwiches. Lousy Sodexho Marriot cuisine.

Springfield, Illinois-

Have you seen the episode of Cooks Tour where AB is in the Mall of America? Fried foods, food on a stick, high fat foods with more fat cleverly added to it or some combination of all the above (i.e. deep fried cheesecake on a stick). These are the foodstuffs that fuel the locals. You also can't go anywhere without seeing a "horseshoe" on the menu. Toast, 1/2 lb. of meat, frenchfries and a "cheese" sauce over the top.

We have a handful of places that stray from the pack but, they are few and far between. I'm better off eating in.

Crystal

We like the mooooon........Coz it is close to us...........

Waiting at the Shawarma King on campus just now, it was completely PACKED with frat and sorority.

It was good to see.

Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy, fried catfish and BBQ seem to be the national dishes of Oklahoma. Good BBQ is the easiest to find. So far the best Chicken fried steak is at Nelson's Buffeteria in downtown Tulsa. The other two, forget it. And you wash it down with iced tea, unsweetened. For the best sweet iced tea you have to go to Mobile, Alabama.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

In CT. land HAS to be italian

Agreed. In Connecticut its pizza, pasta, etc.... Also we have more Dunkin' Donuts' than you can shake a stick at.... People are mega-addicted to their coffee... Not uncommon to see a Box of Joe at any event.... :wacko:

Hey Nero....

Depends on which end of Westnedge your on.......

emhahn--

I'm on the non-Portage end.

I was just wondering last night if there were other Kalamazooans on this board.

Yay!

Ann Arbor, MI. One university. Buzillion students.

Pizza, Korean, Italian, Indian, Ethiopian, Sandwich deli type stuff, burgers, Brewpub food, Chinese, Thai

Dearborn, MI. Ford Motor Company. Largest concentration of people of Arabic descent in the US.

Hummus, Falafel, Mjaddra, Ghallaba, Shish Kebabs,etc

Dearborn, MI. Ford Motor Company. Buzillion engineers packed lunches.

Sandwiches. Lousy Sodexho Marriot cuisine.

So true.

And let's not forget coney dogs and gyros. Sometimes it seems like every block in metro Detroit has a coney/Greek place.

Montreal, 3:30 A.M. Shish taouk sandwich, pizza by the slice, and of course... POUTINE!

Tajanna, your post clearly indicates how very different Quebecers are from Ontarians, despite the fact we live in the same country. These donutes of wich you speak seem to be popular in your area, while here in mine, nobody I know has ever heard of them.

Hey Nero,

I'm not a Kalamazooan, I'm a Charlevoixan......

However, I've spent some time down there with friends etc.

They still have good bands at Club Soda?

emhahn--

If there are good bands anywhere in this town it's at Soda.

No food there though. :blink:

Here in South Florida, we've got every variety of Latin food, starting with Cuban but continuing through Nicaraguan, Mexican, Peruvian and so on. Also Jamaican (jerk chicken, curry goat, etc.) and of course bagel shops and delis.

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.