• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coleslaw

Elissa

I've never added mustard seeds to cole slaw but it sounds brilliant. 

Okay, a question, peripheral to cole slaw. My mother's favorite sandwich was this: rye bread, very thin sliced ham and turkey and a generous layer of cole slaw with Russian dressing. What is the origin of that sandwich?

If it helps, she grew up in Cincinnati in a household that, if not strictly kosher, didn't eat pork or shellfish. Then she moved to New York and became a devotee of that sandwich. (Not to mention Italian sausages and raw clams.)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Okay, a question, peripheral to cole slaw. My mother's favorite sandwich was this: rye bread, very thin sliced ham and turkey and a generous layer of cole slaw with Russian dressing. What is the origin of that sandwich?

I don't know what it's called but I want one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

I've never added mustard seeds to cole slaw but it sounds brilliant. 

If it helps, she grew up in Cincinnati in a household that, if not strictly kosher, didn't eat pork or shellfish. Then she moved to New York and became a devotee of that sandwich. (Not to mention Italian sausages and raw clams.)

Well, if that sandwich were made with Corned Beef (common deli sandwich in this area), they would call it a Corned Beef Special (Turkey Special exists also, one of my fav's). So it was likely your family adapting the NY area deli concept to their preferred/available deli meat.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

You've obviously never tried cockroach fried rice in rural Thailand!

Although, I will admit to preferring raisins.

BTW, I know it was a typo, but I like "cockaroach". I might borrow it!

No typo. Some New Yorkers say cockaroach.  Perhaps derived from cucaracha.

• Like 2

Or as the late Mrs. Hansen asked my late mother-in-law ...

"Why would they arrest Andres for having a cockaroach?"

use your imagination of what the cockaroach was really.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

One dressing I've stumbled on for slaw is a za'atar ranch -- a classic buttermilk Ranch base, with a few tablespoons of good za'atar mixed in. It works particularly well on a slaw with a lot of scallions and some jalapeño for a bit of kick.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

18 hours ago, dtremit said:

One dressing I've stumbled on for slaw is a za'atar ranch -- a classic buttermilk Ranch base, with a few tablespoons of good za'atar mixed in. It works particularly well on a slaw with a lot of scallions and some jalapeño for a bit of kick.

That sounds *extremely* good.  

For everyday meals I don't use a recipe and only make 2 servings at a time. I like a little crumbled blue cheese or Gorgonzola, a little buttermilk, a little mayo, shredded carrot and finely sliced cabbage. I've been meaning to try @kayb's jail slaw but haven't yet.

If I'm entertaining (which I rarely do anymore)  and have time for a lot of prep work I like this: 

Apple Cowboy Slaw adapted from http://www.cdkitchen.com Serves 8

105g mayonnaise

3 TB fruity vinegar

2 TB sugar

3 TB coarse-grain brown mustard

¾ tsp fine sea salt

½ tsp black pepper

6 cups coarsely shredded cabbage

2 small-to-medium tart red and/or green apples, cored and cut into matchsticks

140 g dill pickles, cut into matchsticks

130g green or red seedless grapes, quartered lengthwise

2TB minced red onion

In a large bowl, stir together the mayo, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Add the cabbage, apples, pickles, grapes, and onion. Stir to coat.

Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 6 hours before serving. Stir before serving.

• Like 2

When I use raw onion in slaw I do a brunoise.  No big pieces.  My wife is not a raw onion fan yet onion is essential in some things.  I don’t always add onions in slaw but I like them and when younger I hated raw onions 

• Like 3

My favorite dressing: Hellman's mayo, good sour cream, Maille Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, fresh lemon juice, a bit of sugar, a bit less of salt, and -- here's my novel contribution -- some jarred white horseradish.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My mom's secret for her coleslaw (and for her potato salad) was to add celery seed. She would put a small amount (a teaspoon, maybe?) in the palm of her hand and rub her hands together over the mixing bowl of coleslaw or potato salad. She said this would "awaken" the flavor in the seeds. Then she would blend it in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

14 hours ago, Toliver said:

My mom's secret for her coleslaw (and for her potato salad) was to add celery seed. She would put a small amount (a teaspoon, maybe?) in the palm of her hand and rub her hands together over the mixing bowl of coleslaw or potato salad. She said this would "awaken" the flavor in the seeds. Then she would blend it in.

Not that secret! Your mom's a genius!

All this talk meant I had to make some slaw last night.  Cabbage, one carrot, salted for 2 hours and squeezed. 

Apple cider vinegar, olive oil, a smidgen of mayo, celery seed, mustard seed, black pepper. Not bad.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 years later...

After a careful eGullet coleslaw search I came here to share my contribution.

I found I already had...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/19413-coleslaw/?do=findComment&comment=2203217

One augmentation in recent years is a generous squirt of Yellowbird Serrano Hot Sauce.

I would still welcome more information on the etymology of coleslaw.  The Old King Cole nursery rhyme with the tobacco reference to pipe and bowl points to 16th or 17th century, when bowl meant a bowl of tobacco.  I can't help but believe European peasants were subsisting on cabbage long before, crime against humanity, they were forced to kale.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

32 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

After a careful eGullet coleslaw search I came here to share my contribution.

I found I already had...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/19413-coleslaw/?do=findComment&comment=2203217

One augmentation in recent years is a generous squirt of Yellowbird Serrano Hot Sauce.

I would still welcome more information on the etymology of coleslaw.  The Old King Cole nursery rhyme with the tobacco reference to pipe and bowl points to 16th or 17th century, when bowl meant a bowl of tobacco.  I can't help but believe European peasants were subsisting on cabbage long before, crime against humanity, they were forced to kale.

According to the OED, it is from the Dutch koolsla, a  reduced form of kool-salade, in turn from kool cabbage + salade, pronounced salâ'e, s'lâ. It's 18th century and nothing to do with any old king.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

According to the OED, it is from the Dutch koolsla, a  reduced form of kool-salade, in turn from kool cabbage + salade, pronounced salâ'e, s'lâ. It's 18th century and nothing to do with any old king.

Where does the name of the beloved old king come from?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 10 months later...

Reviving the topic for 2023, I tried a recipe using full-fat coconut milk for the dressing, as I had an upcoming event where it would be sitting out for a while in the heat. It had "tropical" inspired flavors - lime juice/zest, cilantro, fresh mango (good to use ones that are a bit tart) - and was very refreshing. It didn't taste of coconut, but next time I may add some toasted coconut flakes to the mix along with the cashew garnish. It is also vegan, if you have the need. 

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

11 minutes ago, cyalexa said:

I've been adding kimchee to cole slaw recently. 

Ditto that.  I wanted a quick slaw to put on a pulled pork sandwich.  Shredded some cabbage, added chopped kimchi and a spoon of mayo. Voila, kimchi slaw!

• Like 3