• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods--Agemono

torakris

One of my absolute favorites is tatsuta-age, deep fried chicked pieces first marinated in soy and ginger.

I have a wonderful recipe that calls for the pieces to be coated with whipped egg whites, a little time consuming but really wonderful!

McDonald's Japan also has a chicken tastuta sandwich that is my favorite.

the sandwich is #7:

http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/sales/menu_f.html

EDIT oops wrong link!

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Agedashi tofu.

Tempura mushrooms.

Actually, mushrooms just deep-fried without any coating, then splashed with shoyu/wasabi/mirin.

Tempura shrimp and the head and legs deep-fried on the side.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

sometimes a great piece of tonaktsu just hits the spot.

A superkarket by my house sells pork tenderloin tonkatsu, the entire tenderloin a good 500-700 grams of it tonkatsu'd in one piece, wonderful! with a big glob of karashi on the side............. :wub:

I love tatsuta age, does the egg white make it even crispier?

no it doesn't make it crispier, actually it is a whole new flavor. I will try to post the recipe this weekend.

I too love kushi anything

and shiso tempura! :biggrin:

• 1 year later...

What else could you call this in English??

I love menchi katsu, with katsu in the title they do fall into the category of breaded and deep fried foods but they are more commonly seen grouped together with corroke (croquettes). My favorite ones (made at a local supermarket) combine the ground meat with lots of cabbage and this is the way I make them at home now.

Great article about menchi katsu plus a color step by step recipe, all in English!

http://web-jpn.org/nipponia/nipponia26/en/appetit/index.html

How do you eat your menchi katsu?

I love this topic, deep fried hamburger patties are my favorite!!

I like to make them by combining 1lb hamburger, 1-2 eggs, chopped yellow onion (I love the onions in this!), garlic, panko, salt and pepper.

Mix well, form into Patties, flour, egg wash, then panko and fry.

(I hope this is what you meant by how I like them).

I like to eat them with tonkatsu sauce, hot rice, chopped cabbage, cold sliced tomato's, sliced takuan, and a cup of hot green tea (Korean nori on the side would be nice as well).

PS, I like to add a dash of Tobasco to the tonkatsu sauce

Edited by dougery (log)

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

What else could you call this in English??

Is 'minced meat cutlet' too literal?

I love these too, but only freshly made and piping hot. Once they're cooled down they're just lumps of greese.

On a cold winter day there's nothing better than stopping by the local niku-ya-san on the way home for one of their menchi katsu. Keeps me warm and is so satisfying.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

just had my first kabocha croquette... i know thats not exactly menchi, but it was certainly minced up good...

despite it being a stachy food breaded by starchy panko and then deep fried, i was quite surprised by how good it was. i only had one, but i could go for another right now!

yummmms!

i dont think ive seen menchi katsu before. ill have to pay closer attention!

i looked at the the step by step page... it doesnt look toooo hard to make. thank you for the link~~!

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

I like both types, hamburger patty type and 'kyabetsu tappuri' (full of cabbage) type. I usually eat mine in the same way as corokke - with tonkatsu sauce and a lot of shredded cabbage on the side.

just had my first kabocha croquette... i know thats not exactly menchi, but it was certainly minced up good...

despite it being a stachy food breaded by starchy panko and then deep fried, i was quite surprised by how good it was. i only had one, but i could go for another right now!

yummmms!

melon pan,

have you ever seen the corroke thread?

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=32088

• 4 months later...
I could really go for some tempura right now, especially sweet potato or kabocha.....

Right now? Today?

Can't you just hold that craving until New Year's Eve?

Do you follow the custom of eating toshikoshi soba (year-passing buckwheat noodles) on New Year's Eve (together with some tempura or something)?

sometimes a great piece of tonaktsu just hits the spot.

A superkarket by my house sells pork tenderloin tonkatsu, the entire tenderloin a good 500-700 grams of it tonkatsu'd in one piece, wonderful! with a big glob of karashi on the side............. :wub:

Oh man, some tonkatsu would be so sweet right now! Or better, katsu-karee. With lots of rice! Yes, I know it's 9 am. Why do you ask?

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog