• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods--Agemono

torakris

Kristin:

Thanks for the reminder on nankotsu age.  Great stuff.  Have you tried sunagimo age?  If you like nankotsu, you might like sunagimo as well.

I have never had sunagimo deep fried before, love it as yakitori and raw.....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 6 months later...

Tai Karaage: Made Mochiko-style:

MochikoTai.jpg

I got this idea from a lunch at Shirokiya, a yummy mochiko-batter fried Tai, dipped in a ginger-teriyaki sauce. The one at Shirokiya had a pile of sansai on it too.... i forgot to put it on when I made this one.

Also, I had a delicious mochiko-butterfish, at the recent Taste of Honolulu.

• 2 months later...

last night I made an agemono of renkon (lotus root) topped with fish paste (mixed with garlic chives, sooy sauce, sake and ginger) topped with a piece of nori (laver seaweed).

It isn't very pretty but it sure was good!

gallery_6134_1003_23457.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 months later...

We were in a frying mood last night (see the kabocha thread or my blog for details), so we decided to make agedashi-doufu in addition to korokke.

kabochakorokke_20067_2D640w.jpg

This would normally have some oroshi-daikon and sometimes I add another vegetable like shiitake, but I didn't have either handy yesterday...

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Yes, ginger... alas, the lighting was a little overly intense.

I usually have some daikon-oroshi either on top of the tofu or simply suspended in the broth, but I was out of daikon :P

I haven't made agedashi-dofu for years...

This is making me hungry!! :biggrin:

what is the white stuff on top? ginger?

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

I was wondering, when it comes to deep fring things...tempura, tori-karaage, etc....

Is there any specific type of oil that is best for the particular thing being deep fried, or for deep frying in general? What type of oil is usually used in Japan?

I tend to use Canola oil since it has less saturated fat, but in Japanese grocery stores, I see things like...rice bran oil, sesame oil, etc.

The most important essence of Tempura taste is Tempura oil itself.

I was wondering, when it comes to deep fring things...tempura, tori-karaage, etc....

Is there any specific type of oil that is best for the particular thing being deep fried, or for deep frying in general?  What type of oil is usually used in Japan? 

I tend to use Canola oil since it has less saturated fat, but in Japanese grocery stores, I see things like...rice bran oil, sesame oil, etc. 

The most important essence of Tempura taste is Tempura oil itself.

I think this has been discussed before. I use salad oil (sarada yu (サラダ油) in Japanese) to make tempura, karaage, tonkatsu, and so on. So do most Japanese. Some people add some sesame oil to salad oil, but sesame oil is too expensive for this purpose.

• 7 months later...

This is just the same old, same old hasami-age...but using fine panko made it perfect for summer!

1 breast of chicken, skinned, cut into squares, each opened out "book" style

Half a shiso leaf laid on each "book"

1 dab miso in the middle of each piece of shiso (mixed ume and miso is even better)

Shut the books, dip in flour, beaten egg with milk, fine breadcrumbs, and deep fry.

• 11 months later...

Questions about all things shrimp:

Do you eat the tail of tempura shrimp? I do.

Which varieties of shrimp available in Japan are suitable for frying whole and eating with head and shell intact? What is the procedure for doing this?

I have sometimes been served deep fried shrimp heads at sushi restaurants as a kind of garnish. Are they from the same shrimp used for the nigiri or tempura? Does that mean they are amaebi or kurumaebi?

Questions about all things shrimp:

Do you eat the tail of tempura shrimp? I do.

Which varieties of shrimp available in Japan are suitable for frying whole and eating with head and shell intact? What is the procedure for doing this?

I have sometimes been served deep fried shrimp heads at sushi restaurants as a kind of garnish. Are they from the same shrimp used for the nigiri or tempura? Does that mean they are amaebi or kurumaebi?

A1: I didn't when I was small. Now I usually do. My children hate that part.

A2: I can't answer. Prabably kuruma ebi or other large-size species. Procedure? I'm not sure, but I did find this info for you.

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/qu...tail/q147134994

Japanese only. I hope you can read Japanese.

A3: I think so. You are also familiar with ara jiru, right?