• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Mall at Short Hills

Rosie

Had lunch at Joe's American Grill today and was not thrilled as I waited an hour for a table. I had a veggie wrapped sandwich and what I didn't like was that the vegetables tasted pickled. Has anyone been here and what is worth ordering for lunch?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Joe's American Grill is another "chain restaurant", usually combined with a Paparazzi, same owners, right next to it. A lot like Charlie Browns, usually forgettable in every way. The popularity of these places is astounding, given that the whole restaurant experience is so mediocre. (See Cheesecake Factory Phenomenon thread.)

Ate there once and had a pretty good burger. They had draft Bass ale, which always improves the taste of burgers. Judging by what I saw on other people's plates and on the waiter's trays, I wouldn't be any more adventurous a second time...

Paparazzi does a land office business at the bar on Thursdays and Fridays after work. Mostly 20 something fmale investment bankers and their boyfriends, from what I can tell. Quality of food is probably not a consideration

(The large office building across JFK is filled with investment firms, as is the property immediately to the north)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

SHMall is bereft of pleasurable dining spots. Most favored for

sitdowns w. the possibility of a alcoholic beverage is Joe's or

Papparazzi. Both usually entail a wait and are noisy with

marginal service. In my experience, Joe's is more like a greasy

spoon-joint with burger & fries items predominating. Sometimes

a simple turkey sandwich at Nordstrom's is preferable although

none of the major department stores have an upscale

dining venue. Remember the 'olde' Lord & Taylor lunchrooms?

Nordstrom in Paramus has a nice---but crowded--pub lunch venue.

I like the bread at Joe's in Short Hills Mall. Probably the best part of the meal. I had been to this place in Boston as they come from New England. It was in a mall up there across from a Friendly's - which would you choose? Of course I had ice cream for desert. Friendly's Pistachio! yum yum

Rosie, Qadoba is relatively new at the short hills mall. It's a tex-mex very small lunch counter type place. Order at the counter, one person steams the burrito shell, the next asks if you want chix, beef, pork, etc, salsa.... You can also get other things, but i usually go for the two-handed burritos. It's located by the Apple store i think, definitely 1st floor, and on the opposite side of the mall from Joe's American. It also is pretty reasonable, so you don't have to spend 30 bucks on a mall meal. Must warn you though, the decor is nothing to talk about(actually the decor is absent, it's just a counter with some tables) :wink: .

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

Just to correct myself it's actually Qdoba. :cool:

there has been one in Hoboken for a while. i found it to be an average to above average burrito place, which isn't saying a lot, unless you are happy getting a bunch of rice for 5 bucks, which obviously appeals to lots of people given the popularity of the place. "baby sized" sounds like it might actually be better, as there might be a lower rice to flavor ratio...

Edited by tommy (log)

Tommy, I agree, at best above average, but in Short Hill's mall you either wait for a long time and over pay, or you eat horrible food at Sbarro's, or you get a burrito. I didn't even mention Johnny Rockets b/c there's so many screaming kids around that i stay as far away from that place as i can. Also, you can cut down on the fill to food ratio by taking an active part in the preparation of your Burrito. They make it 2 ft in front of you and ask you what you want, so it's quite easy to say, "take it easy on the rice and light on the beans" :biggrin: I also am a big fan of all the bottles of Cholula sitting around the tables in that place.

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

• 1 month later...

I just noticed this Qdoba place for the first time today. However, we opted for the new Legal Seafoods instead, see here.

Back to Rosie's original question, just a reminder that there a couple sandwiches & salad type places within both Nordstroms (Nordstrom Cafe on the 3rd floor) and Bloomingdale's (although I never was a big fan of 40 Carots).

Here's a list of the current food offerings at the Short Hills Mall from their online directory:

Food Specialty

Black Hound New York

General Nutrition Center

Godiva Chocolatier

Mrs. Fields Cookies

Sbarro Buffet Italiano

Williams-Sonoma

Full Service Restaurants

Au Bon Pain

Joe's American Bar & Grill

Johnny Rockets The Original Hamburger

Legal Sea Foods

Papa Razzi

QDOBA Mexican Grill

Walk across the street to the Short Hills Hilton if you are not looking for Mall food.

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer