• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capitol Hill

vengroff

So, what's good to eat on the Hill? I like La Loma for Mexican and decent Tex-Mex if you crave it. They'll give you pintos instead of black beans if you ask, which is a big plus in my book. I though I liked Kenny's BBQ, but it has since proven to be inconsistent. White Tiger has some interesting Indian food. I don't think there's much at the high end on the Hill, or at least I haven't tried any. I also have yet to try most of the places on the Pennsylvania Ave strip.

What are your favorites?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

We used to enjoy the burgers at Mr. Henry's (on Pennsylvania Ave.). And Market Lunch in Eastern Market still does great breakfasts, and crabcakes.

Literally on the Hill, we've been to Bistro Bis twice lately and liked it. The last time, when we casually mentioned that we would be sharing everything, they split each course for us and plated it separately. They have a caramelized onion-and-goat cheese tart that is very, very nice.

For a lowbrow chow and brew, head to the Tune Inn on Penn Ave near Eastern Market. Great cheap greasy burgers are the way to go here. Check out the antelope butts over the bathroom doors, and the numerous other mangy looking hunting trophies all over the place. Also, if an older woman is bartending, don't play any Patsy Cline on the jukebox-- she'll unplug it.

There is a Greek restaurant (the name escapes me) a couple of blocks closer to the capitol that makes a mean grilled calamari, but I can't recommend it for much else.

Nothing better than a great spring weekend morning spent at Eastern Market. The cheese shop there is pretty good, and you can often find unusual decent quality cuts of meat. I wouldn't recommend the fish however-- you can get much fresher stuff down at the Washington Harbor near Maine Ave. The baked goods are pretty good too.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

La Brasserie used to do a pretty good job over on the NE side on Mass Ave. I've also had some decent meals at 2Quail over on that side. I've also heard good things about La Colline over the years (not far from Bis in NW, but haven't been.

Italian Sub? Mangialardo's "G-man" down Pennsylvania at 12th (?) SE may be the best in DC.

Another good Hill sandwich is at the Liquor Store's lunch counter on Penn. Ave. between 3rd and 4th (towards 3rd end); it's called the NCB after the venerable banking institution across the street.

I second Al on the Tune Inn's old-school (greasy) burgers, and almost legendary atmosphere. Best part about the Tune is that you can always find people you know there late night after going out - a real neighborhood joint. Market Lunch is good stuff, and I entirely disagree that the fish at Maine Ave. waterfront is fresher than the seafood stand at the Eastern Market unless things have radically changed in the last two years.

Taverna is the serviceable Greek place on Penn. Ave.

The rapidly revitalizing 8th Street down towards the Marine Barracks has the wild and wonderful Sheridan's 1874 Old West Steakhouse for the open-minded. I had an excellent rare buffalo steak there.

Agreed Mark, but that ain't Capitol Hill...it's downtown. I did have a wonderful rockfish lunch at Occidental recently though, and I think it has come up a few notches lately.

The Penn. Ave. strip in question is the one on the other side of the Capitol in SE.

Montmartre is the best nice-ish place on the Hill in my book. I recently heard an NPR "Crummy, but Good" review of Pete's diner that highlighted the sweetpotato pancakes, but when I went to check them out they were merely average.

Avoid Tortilla Coast at all costs -- they can't even make a drinkable frozen margarita....

I have always been a big fan of Barolo da Enzo--it's an above average Italian place in SW just past the Library of Congress buildings (don't remember the exact address though, it's been a while). They had a fairly strong pasta selection and excellent tiramisu.

Hunan Dynasty on Penn. Ave. probably has the best chinese on the Hill, it's adequate, but not fantastic by any stretch.

If you don't know about the wine selection at Schneider's Liquors on Mass Ave., you should check it out - one of the best wine spots in DC.

Hunan Dynasty on Penn. Ave. probably has the best chinese on the Hill, it's adequate, but not fantastic by any stretch. 

If you don't know about the wine selection at Schneider's Liquors on Mass Ave., you should check it out - one of the best wine spots in DC.

Ditto on Schneider's. Knowledgable staff. They often have tastings in the back room-- not just wine but booze too!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.